News Heath Younie leaves for North Melbourne job

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
With any of the coaching appointments - assistant coaches, line coaches, development coaches - you want people who have the desire and the ability to go higher.

Some newbie in an entry level role will gun it and help the organisation if they have designs on being a senior coach one day. They will put in the yards, they will think deeply about the game, they will add stuff. They want to move up so they set out to prove they should be moved up.

A plodder in the same role will move the cones when asked, roll out drills they remember their coach doing one day, ride their bike constantly. Good servant but not a go getter. Adds nothing.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
With any of the coaching appointments - assistant coaches, line coaches, development coaches - you want people who have the desire and the ability to go higher.

Some newbie in an entry level role will gun it and help the organisation if they have designs on being a senior coach one day. They will put in the yards, they will think deeply about the game, they will add stuff. They want to move up so they set out to prove they should be moved up.

A plodder in the same role will move the cones when asked, roll out drills they remember their coach doing one day, ride their bike constantly. Good servant but not a go getter. Adds nothing.
This was my biggest issue with Campo. Was happy to have his day job cause it paid well and he could run his business on the side. Didn't seem to have that desire to ever want to be a senior coach, just seemed like a 9-5 for him.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I still don’t believe having our own reserve side, in this format, is beneficial.
David Burtenshaw has been posting on Twitter about a bunch of players when they were drafted and mentioned he thought for sure Andy Otten was gonna head back to Melbourne after his first couple of years, but being farmed out to the SANFL side (I think he was with South Adelaide) actually helped because it opened up his social circle massively and he had a whole new group of young guys around his age to mix with and make friends with, which kept him rooted here.

With our current setup we lose that and you're more reliant on the group itself getting along since the players naturally have a smaller immediate social circle.

He also mentioned the downside to that with a guy like Ed Curnow who got hurt and stuck playing SANFL reserves and it just wasn't a good experience for him at all.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
This was my biggest issue with Campo. Was happy to have his day job cause it paid well and he could run his business on the side. Didn't seem to have that desire to ever want to be a senior coach, just seemed like a 9-5 for him.
And if not a senior coach, was he gunning to get a similar role at a bigger club? Hawks, Tigers, Eagles..?

Or just plugging along, not growing, not developing?

Doc Clarke the same.

Neither of them bad per se, just comfortable where they are. Not striving.

longdonkey

Premiership Player
Jul 27, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
And if not a senior coach, was he gunning to get a similar role at a bigger club? Hawks, Tigers, Eagles..?

Or just plugging along, not growing, not developing?

Doc Clarke the same.

Neither of them bad per se, just comfortable where they are. Not striving.
I completely disagree and if you look at the world of politics this so called striving leads to a lot of conflict. I've had some professional dealings with AFC & PAFC and I would say that the last thing the AFC need are the striving go-getters with the arrogance that comes with it.
And what you want is people who move the club forward not those that are beholden to their own career agenda or those that want to move to where the grass is greener. That is not to say if someone offers you a bunch of money you shouldn't go.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I completely disagree and if you look at the world of politics this so called striving leads to a lot of conflict. I've had some professional dealings with AFC & PAFC and I would say that the last thing the AFC need are the striving go-getters with the arrogance that comes with it.
And what you want is people who move the club forward not those that are beholden to their own career agenda or those that want to move to where the grass is greener. That is not to say if someone offers you a bunch of money you shouldn't go.
Weren't Alastair Clarkson, Dean Bailey and Phil Walsh assistant coaches at Port when you won your flag?

longdonkey

Premiership Player
Jul 27, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Weren't Alastair Clarkson, Dean Bailey and Phil Walsh assistant coaches at Port when you won your flag?
But I don't think you can put them in the same bracket. Clarkson had gone from taking Centrals top to us, as an assistant and was pretty much always going to be a senior coach and had that as a goal true. Port was a stepping stone to get where he wanted.
But I think Walsh and Bailey possibly didn't set out with that in mind. Walsh was an assistant for many years before becoming a head coach and I don't remember him applying for a lot of head coach jobs. Same with Bailey. Not like some of these guys who's name is always in the mix and they miss out Darren Crocker comes to mind and Scott Burns too but I think they realise its passed them by now.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
But I don't think you can put them in the same bracket.
They don't need to be in the exact same bracket. All were shrewd football minds destined for bigger things than simply lower level assistants and your club was better for having them.

It's not uncommon either. Geelong's premiership winning crew included Hinkley, Sanderson, McCartney. Hawthorn through their dynasty at various times had Hardwick, Beveridge, Simpson, Cameron and Fagan on their books.

That doesn't mean they are back stabbers looking out only for numero uno. Just that they bring more to the table than a Doc Clarke for instance who's content where he is.

Your political equivalent would be those career pollies who have no desires on higher office, are content to rack up the years, gather every single entitlement they can garner, are acutely aware of what they need to tick off to get full pensions.

Internally they are probably seen as really loyal and a valued part of the party... they don't rock the boat, don't challenge the leadership, don't disagree with the head honchos. Actually they are absolute poison and prevent any sort of progression. They don't bring any initiatives to the table, provide no dynamic leadership or energy, achieve nothing. Just plod along. Inoffensive, bland nothingness.

A certain level of conflict is good.

I agree though that if you get someone with the desire to move up but without the ability (eg Brett Burton) then they are disastrous to an organisation.

longdonkey

Premiership Player
Jul 27, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They don't need to be in the exact same bracket. All were shrewd football minds destined for bigger things than simply lower level assistants and your club was better for having them.

It's not uncommon either. Geelong's premiership winning crew included Hinkley, Sanderson, McCartney. Hawthorn through their dynasty at various times had Hardwick, Beveridge, Simpson, Cameron and Fagan on their books.

That doesn't mean they are back stabbers looking out only for numero uno. Just that they bring more to the table than a Doc Clarke for instance who's content where he is.

Your political equivalent would be those career pollies who have no desires on higher office, are content to rack up the years, gather every single entitlement they can garner, are acutely aware of what they need to tick off to get full pensions.

Internally they are probably seen as really loyal and a valued part of the party... they don't rock the boat, don't challenge the leadership, don't disagree with the head honchos. Actually they are absolute poison and prevent any sort of progression. They don't bring any initiatives to the table, provide no dynamic leadership or energy, achieve nothing. Just plod along. Inoffensive, bland nothingness.

A certain level of conflict is good.

I agree though that if you get someone with the desire to move up but without the ability (eg Brett Burton) then they are disastrous to an organisation.
In a political sense a lot of those backbenchers are the ones who implement policy, sit on committees and generally are the people who make government tick as opposed to the likes who want to see their faces on the TV every night. And see themselves in the big seat.
In a football club there is only one head coach and many assistants and development coaches so you either have 8 or nine guys who are going to be unhappy not realising their goal because chances are they will not get a head coach job unless they go to a state league to get a team of their own.
I think you do a lot of these guys a disservice I don't see that a guy who is happy doing his job without wanting to progress further is a liability just somebody who knows his subject better than most.
In work life in general its people who progress further than their ability who produce an issue in an organisation not somebody who knows his job well but does not have further ambitions.
In terms of coaches the fact they are involved in a premiership as an assistant gives them the opportunity to get a head coach job. I wonder how many great assistants there have been aren't involved in a premiership who would have been great coaches but didn't get opportunity. For instance if Bailey was assistant at Carlton through the Pagan time and after would he have ever been a head coach?

Back