Hello from Southern California

Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
SD Padres, LA Lakers, SD Gulls
Hello from Southern California (San Diego to be more specific).

I first heard of Aussie Rules in a book I got for Christmas as a kid called Rules of the Game.

I picked the Demons as my AFL team because I heard that's whom Darren Bennett played for before he came to the US to play in the NFL. In fact, I was already a Chargers fan for a couple years by the time Bennett became their punter. I later heard he spent some time in the springtime WLAF for the Amsterdam Admirals and those guys became my favorite team in that league.

In recent years, I've had some curiosity about a game called Austus, which combined Aussie Rules and Gridiron but was only played during the second World War. I really wish Austus was still being played today, because personally, that sounds like a game I'd watch on TV.

Jun 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers

I first heard of Aussie Rules in a book I got for Christmas as a kid called Rules of the Game.

I picked the Demons as my AFL team because I heard that's whom Darren Bennett played for before he came to the US to play in the NFL. In fact, I was already a Chargers fan for a couple years by the time Bennett became their punter. I later heard he spent some time in the springtime WLAF for the Amsterdam Admirals and those guys became my favorite team in that league.

In recent years, I've had some curiosity about a game called Austus, which combined Aussie Rules and Gridiron but was only played during the second World War. I really wish Austus was still being played today, because personally, that sounds like a game I'd watch on TV.
Welcome to the board mate. Good time to poke your head in as a Dees fan.

Welcome to the board! I'd recommend staying away from posters like Barrybran though. Rumour has it that he used to attend parties thrown by Jeffrey Epstein.

Welcome! Enjoy your time on this forum.

San Diego is a beautiful place and you are lucky to live there. If I may I'd like to share my memories of SD. My relative took me down to watch an NCAA bball game at SDSU. It was fun. I met some locals, and one asked if i surf. I replied no. He and his family were shocked and appalled.......all you aussies surf. hahahaha

I also enjoyed my time at sea world.

Do you like basketball?

Genghis Tron

HBF
Koala Light vs Dark Charity Match Gumbies FFC - Sweet F.A.
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void

Lot of great bands have come out of San Diego. Welcome.

Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Welcome! Enjoy your time on this forum.

San Diego is a beautiful place and you are lucky to live there. If I may I'd like to share my memories of SD. My relative took me down to watch an NCAA bball game at SDSU. It was fun. I met some locals, and one asked if i surf. I replied no. He and his family were shocked and appalled.......all you aussies surf. hahahaha

I also enjoyed my time at sea world.

Do you like basketball?

Yes, I do like basketball. The Lakers are my team because my dad liked those guys during the Magic and Kareem "Showtime" era.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Does it really never rain there?

Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
On the Footy Jumpers and Graphic Design board, I wanna create a fictional Austus league that takes place in North America. It'll be based on the gridiron/Aussie rules hybrid of the same name that was played during World War II.

Here are some rough ideas I have.

Field:
Not sure if I want a rectangular field or a round field, but I want it to be smaller than a VFL/AFL pitch, but still fit within the same dimensions as an NFL gridiron field.
As for the markings, I kinda wanna borrow the center square and circle from Aussie rules. But I'm not sure if the arcs should be 25 or 30 yards if midfield is at the 50 yard line. Also, I'm not sure if I want arcs for a rectangular field or if they'd look better on a round field. Another thing I'd like suggestions for is where to put team, league and sponsor logos.

Nine players per side.
3 Forwards (1 Full Forward, 2 Half Forwards)
3 Midfielders (1 Center, 1 Left Wing, 1 Right Wing)
3 Backs/Guards/Defenders (1 Fullback, 2 Halfbacks)
I would like suggestions for the number of interchange players.

Uniforms.
- Helmets (Not sure if I want NFL style, NHL style or multisport helmets (think Legends of the Hidden Temple and Guts)
- Lacrosse style jerseys and shorts.

Rosters
Not sure if I want 27 or 36-man rosters.

Marks
Passes or kicks longer than 15 yards can be marked.

Scoring:
Goals are six point.
Behinds are one point.
Scores after the siren are allowed.

Championship Name: The Grand Final
Trophy: The Cowley Cup, named after Austus inventor Ern Cowley, former Carlton Blues star.

Rough ideas for the league name:
Professional Austus League
Alliance of Austus Football
World League of Austus Football
Austus Football League
United Austus Football League
Major League Austus Football
Majot Austus Football League
International Austus Football League
World Austus Football League

A rough timeline of league membership.
1955:
10 teams.
1960: 14 teams.
1966: 16 teams.
1970: 18 teams.
Membership goals: I want 24 teams by 1990. Then 30 by 2000. I'm not sure how to space out the expansions after 1970.

Apr 10, 2004
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
49ers, Liverpool
Heya. Loved San Diego, wished we left that shithole LA as soon as our plane landed and drove down straight away to have spent more time there.

Watched the 2014 AFL Grand Final in a sportsbar somewhere next to the Chargers stadium. Pandas at the zoo! USS Midway! Craft beers! Then one of the best restaurants in our whole holiday at Juniper & Ivy. Would go back to SD in a heartbeat 🙂

megadeth86

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton

Welcome to the board, mate. We have a club called West Coast. If you have the money, please buy it and relocate it to Los Angeles. You won't even need to change the name!

In fact Darren Bennett's first club was East Fremantle in the WAFL (Perth-based second-tier competition). I went to high-school with his younger brother. Sadly he seemed a bit bitter with life because of all the attention his older brother received. I don't think the younger brother was sporty at all.

Back