Abram Jones

Debutant
Jun 18, 2016
Wisconsin (WI)
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
I don't even support N Melbourne!
There are 3 reasons why pads and helmets should be removed.

1. safety: helmets are the main cause of brain injuries in the sport. this is mostly due to constant bumping of helmets each play (especially lineman). if players don't wear helmets they do not naturally bump into each other in such a fashion. pads and helmets cause more injuries than they prevent.

2. restrictive: pads and helmets reduce the athletic ability, therefore reducing quality of play.

3. cost: this is a big reason why the sport is having trouble growing internationally.

So how would they deal with the constant blood rule when they clash head to head at the line of scrimmage?
That's the point. They wouldn't clash head to head. Did you ever play gridiron at high school? We usually had a line of 2 on 2 and never had a head clash.

LOL. this is one of the dumbest things i have seen on the AF board since people claiming Hayne would show the americans how its done.

If they got rid of helmets and shells they players would use heads as weapons and there would be a million times more concussions. players would get killed going over the middle when they cop a shoulder to the head/neck.

The players know the risks now, there are ex players trying to develop a safer helmet, but its never going to be a safe game.

With the force the players move at the flack jackets and shells prevent more injuries than they cause by players using as weapons.

That's the point. They wouldn't clash head to head. Did you ever play gridiron at high school? We usually had a line of 2 on 2 and never had a head clash.

Not with how the NFL works. the teams would pay a premium for players with "hard" heads, and they wowuld use them as weapons. Its too late to change the game with out destroying it.

And it makes too much money and its too popular.

The NFL only want to break in to international markets to make money and possibly get a player, they dont want to dominate the world.

It would change the whole dynamic of play in the trenches and therefore change the game...not for the better.

Also as aussiesude alludes to, catching the ball would be dangerous. A lot of times these guys are running the same way as the ball to use an AFL parlance.

Here we call courageous, in the NFL it's the norm and expected. Guys would get cleaned up with the old hip and shoulder, there would be shirtfronts galore. Would be even more dangerous

It would change the whole dynamic of play in the trenches and therefore change the game...not for the better.

Also as aussiesude alludes to, catching the ball would be dangerous. A lot of times these guys are running the same way as the ball to use an AFL parlance.

Here we call courageous, in the NFL it's the norm and expected. Guys would get cleaned up with the old hip and shoulder, there would be shirtfronts galore. Would be even more dangerous
Totally agree. Taking away pads and helmets would change the game so much and not in a good way.

With all of the concussion/brain injury issues arising maybe they do need to tweak the rules a bit.

Personally I love it.

players wouldn't use their heads as weapons

Not so much weapons, but OL/DL would still have head clashes.

They are OL remember they piss themselves because its easier than going to the toilet. and they dont have to unbuckle their pants.

He isnt the only one who does it. Some used to wear nappies.

Its why now when i see a wet spot on an OL players legs i just think he prob pissed himself.

I think Kickers might be the only ones who dont, they just piss in cups on the sidelines with a towel boy hiding their shame from the fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He isnt the only one who does it. Some used to wear nappies.

Its why now when i see a wet spot on an OL players legs i just think he prob pissed himself.

I think Kickers might be the only ones who dont, they just piss in cups on the sidelines with a towel boy hiding their shame from the fans.
Hahaha that made me think of the Adam Sandler song: Lonesome kicker

i understand these concerns, but i disagree that it would change for the worse. rule changes need to happen to modernize the sport. it isn't the 1900s anymore. so yes, there would be less bodies flying everywhere if that's the kind of thing you like. but athleticism would certainly increase with proper rule changes.

main problem with concussion would have to be the standard of helmet in the past

I remember hearing a player that started his career in something like 2002 and played for 10 years or so said the helmet never changed! the NFL simply never cared about head knocks therefore never put any money into research into better Helmets

Terrible idea.
There'd be even more injuries because a lot of NFL players have terrible tackling technique as it is, remove the pads that give them the confidence to tackle and watch them stuff it up.
Then there's the offensive players who are nearly as bad in protecting themselves from hits, not to mention all the times receivers leave themselves open making a catch.

Bears sophomore OLB Leonard Floyd said he improved his tackling technique this offseason.

Floyd suffered two concussions as a rookie at least in part because he was tackling with his head down, a problem he worked to fix during the offseason. "I've been doing a real, real good job of working on keeping my head up," Floyd said. "It's really second nature now." With Pernell McPhee dealing with yet another knee issue, the Bears need Floyd to be healthy and productive this season.

Source: Chicago Tribune
Aug 1 - 10:53 AM

The helmet stops the impact on the skull and minimises somewhat the 'rattling of the brain'. But NOTHING can completely stop the brain floating around in the skull and banging against bone.

So, to me the rules do need to look after the players because they will do whatever it takes to win.

The evidence says that helmets don't stop the transmission of the force to the head, don't stop the movement of the brain inside the skull, do stop injury to the head in terms of cuts but these are mostly from other people's helmets (if one wears a helmet then all have to otherwise it increases the risk to the rest), do encourage players to put their body in danger.

It's a myth that they protect. A helmet that can be thrown or dropped on the floor after a match, or impacted during a play, and not need to be immediately replaced is just prime advertising space.

Might as well tell motor racing, horse racing, cricket, baseball to stop wearing helmets too.
Not many of them bash their helmets intentionally into other helmets.

I don't think removing helmets will work FWIW. But I think they need to bring in stricter rules for the safety of the players.

A helmet will not stop a concussion if the impact is high enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back