Crashy

Cancelled
Dec 31, 2018
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Adelaide Strikers
Have been told in all grades of cricket from next season helmets willl be mandatory, a directive of cricket Australia. Sounds unlikely but wondering if anyone here has been told something similar?

Crashy

Cancelled
Dec 31, 2018
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Adelaide Strikers
Hope so, but the guy who told me is not one to bullshit.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I honestly would probably not play if I had to wear one. They’re ******* uncomfortable and distract the s**t out of me. Plus there is literally no one in the grade I play worth worrying about getting hit by

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
I honestly would probably not play if I had to wear one. They’re ******* uncomfortable and distract the **** out of me. Plus there is literally no one in the grade I play worth worrying about getting hit by
Its funny how it changes through the generations. I reckon I've batted for about 10 overs total without a helmet in my entire career and that was only because I thought I was more chance of dying of heat exhaustion than getting hit by the ball haha. It just feels natural to wear it so much so that I barely notice it when I'm batting.

In saying that I cant even remember a time I have been hit, its more of a reassuring thing.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Its funny how it changes through the generations. I reckon I've batted for about 10 overs total without a helmet in my entire career and that was only because I thought I was more chance of dying of heat exhaustion than getting hit by the ball haha. It just feels natural to wear it so much so that I barely notice it when I'm batting.

In saying that I cant even remember a time I have been hit, its more of a reassuring thing.

I lost a front tooth as a kid - my adult front tooth - so Mum insisted on buying me a helmet. I wore it maybe half a dozen times and that was it. Just never felt right.

I’ve been hit twice that I can think of, one cracked my jawbone (didn’t fully break or shatter it or anything) and the other hit me flush on the side of the head. Ironically I actually play the short ball really well but I almost invariably stand and play a shot so there some risk there.

I few older players complaining that "I just can't see the ball" when they're wearing a helmet lol. Batsmen can see Lee and Ahktar bowling at them, I'm fairly sure you'll be able to spot the chubby balding guy's 105km/hr wobblers.
105 km/h would be quick at local level. I saw someone bowl 120 km in our ones for the first time this year after watching ~8 years of senior cricket and he was genuinely quick.

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
105 km/h would be quick at local level. I saw someone bowl 120 km in our ones for the first time this year after watching ~8 years of senior cricket and he was genuinely quick.
My kid had a ball break through and lodge in his broken grill off a top edge this year in our state champs. It broke skin across his nose and umps made him go off. He came back in later and was bowled first ball with someone else's helmet and said he did not see it. Anyway I purchased a new one that night and took him to the nets early next day before his next game and he could not see it well at all. He batted latter that morning and got through the quicks and managed to talk the umps into letting him bat without a helmet against the spinners. (I think this was a first in juniors). His mum turned up to see him batting and went bananas lol. Theres a pic of him batting without a helmet on TNFs instagrams pics about 50 photos down in an orange top lol.

Last edited:
Back