Help asked for by a hawk supporter re round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to intrude but I am looking for some assistance re an umpiring interpretation

I am wondering if anyone recalls the round 1 game where Hawthorn got a free kick but the umpire pointed the wrong way, the adelaide player took the kick and the hawks got a 50m (and resultant goal). Did Jeff Gieschen come out after the round and comment on the decision?

I am asking because the same thing happened this week (going against us this time - karma if you will) and Giesch has "justified" it by sayingthat the umpire "clearly" said it was thompson's free ("push, scott thompson" which is not conclusive in my mind as could go as a free to or against thompson) and that the umpire was "pirouetting" (wtf?) as the reason for at that time pointing the wrong way (the vision clearly shows the arm stuck out the way to indicate a hawk free).

pretty sure it happened again during the Brisbane match...ump called Crows free, but pointed in the wrong direction and a Brisbane player took the ball assuming it was his.

and Giesch has "justified" it by sayingthat the umpire "clearly" said it was thompson's free ("push, scott thompson" which is not conclusive in my mind as could go as a free to or against thompson)

Every time I have heard that, it means free to that person ie "Holding Sam Jacobs" is actually Jacobs' free.

I saw one the other week (can't remember the game but not Adelaide I think) where none of the two combatants knew who the free was for......no clarification was immediately forthcoming.......so one of them took the free only to have a 50 given against him! The players need to be psychic sometimes!

We had the situation against Brisbane in out fifty where a free was called (can't remember who it was) our player continued and went to kick for goal but pulled out of the kick. the umpire called it back, the commentators were banging on about how it should have been advantage to us but if it wasn't our free we would have given away a fifty. It's just too confusing now.

I remember that. It was Tambling. He said to the umpire "you pointed the wrong way" when the 50 was given and the umpire responded "no I didn't". Replays showed he clearly did. I can't remember any comments from Gieshen on it though

I remember that. It was Tambling. He said to the umpire "you pointed the wrong way" when the 50 was given and the umpire responded "no I didn't". Replays showed he clearly did. I can't remember any comments from Gieshen on it though

My memory is that the Geisch commented with a smirk that Tambling was "probably a little unlucky" and then laughed about it. Didn't seem that funny to me at the time...

There was a good bit of umpiring earlier this year. I can't remember the game but the umpire pointed the wrong way and all the players flooded forward/back in that direction. The umpire then realised his mistake and got the ball to the right player.

However, he delayed the restart of play for several seconds until the players could get themselves back into position, so no one was disadvantaged by him pointing the wrong way.

Common sense but alas not so common.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back