KDSnap

Debutant
Sep 13, 2011
Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns
Hello all, I am looking for advice on a team to support!
Let me give you some background on me: I am an American, have loved your game for many years, and in the past few years, through the magic of the internet, I have been able to watch a lot of great games online (like that incredibly exciting match between Hawthorne and Collingwood a couple months ago.... I was on the edge of my seat, and I didn't even care who won!)
Anyway, I thought it might be even more interesting for me if I chose a club to support. I know my profile here shows that I am a Gold Coast supporter, but this website wouldn't let me register without picking a team, so I picked the one that was new last year, like me, just so I could sign up for this site.
Here in the USA, I am a die-hard supporter of the Cleveland Browns of the NFL. If you are not familiar with American football, the Browns are a historic team, with a great history... but also a lot of bad times. They date back to the 1940's, but they have not had any success in the past 20 years. So the qualities of a Browns fans are: loyalty, hope, and sometimes skepticism. And we cling to our team, in good times and bad. So that is the type of club I am looking for.
So who should I support in the AFL? I did a little research, and to me it appears that the Western Bulldogs or the Kangaroos might be that type of team.... rich history, loyal supporters, hoping to work back to the top.
Tell me your suggestions!

From the description you gave I immediately thought Richmond, but North wouldn't go astray either.

Go for the Tigers :thumbsu:
Best colours
Best song
Strong list for next decade
Big Support base with huge growth potential
Loudest supporters to become alot bigger and louder
Home ground MCG
:D

You're definitely describing the Tigers the most. As much as every fan will tell you to follow their team... the Tigers will be closest.

But to pump Port up for a bit... we're a team with a hugely rich history that's going through a tough time at the moment, trying to climb back up to the top!

From the description you gave I immediately thought Richmond, but North wouldn't go astray either.

+1

Easier just enjoying the game for what it is, pick a team in the game you're watching & cheer them home, if they lose its only 5 mins of disapointment, instead of 5 days when you decide to support 1 team only, if you know what i mean.

Yes, I would've said Richmond....or perhaps Melbourne, they also have been down and out for a long while, but just might be on the rise..

Then again you could pick a team with a history all of its own, have won 3 premierships this century, been down for a few years re-grouping after said success......but will rise up once more..sooner than later I might add..

..my Mighty Brisbane Lions:D:thumbsu:

Good luck...let us know who you choose!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go for the Tigers :thumbsu:
Best colours
Best song
Strong list for next decade
Big Support base with huge growth potential
Loudest supporters to become alot bigger and louder
Home ground MCG
:D

^ What Madtiger said!

Reading through the OP, definitely was some eerie similarities to what us Tiger fans have experienced for the best part of 30 years. If you're looking for loyalty, passion and devotion - can't go wrong with the Yellow and Black! When we get up and about, its like a frenzied mob.

I would say we are somewhat similar to the Bombers - we are a team that plays well with emotion and can sometimes cause an upset win on the big stage - when this happens, the fans go into meltdown and it's hard to keep a lid on it. Just pure pandemonium from the inflated dreams and aspirations of many suffering fans. The momentum keeps us going for a few games but as always, things fizzle out and the hopes of thousands of tiger fans can come down in a collective crash. My personal motto as a tiger fan is hope springs eternal :p

If not us, I have nothing but admiration for North, Bulldogs, Saints and (to a lesser degree) Melbourne (I don't particularly like them but respect their long serving fans) - the fans of these clubs have stuck by their clubs through some pretty long premiership droughts and hard times. Their hardcore members who continually dip into their pockets are as stout and dedicated to their club as anyone and for that I tip my proverbial hat to them :thumbsu:

I'd strongly advise you to change your philosophy on picking a team. Choosing a team like Richmond, Doggies, North, Stkilda and you're in for a lifetime of disappointments. Those teams 'tease' the supporter. They look good at times, bob up for a few good wins here and there, look as though they have a 'good list', may even make the occasional finals series. But ultimately they ALWAYS fail to deliver.
I strongly suggest picking a team with a 'culture of success'. And you can do no better than the mighty Hawks. Most successful team of the last 50 years, recent flag, and could strongly challenge again in the coming few years.

There are any number of reasons to choose a team, but it's never an academic decision. While I'd love to say 'pick my team', I'd suggest you do a little research into the history (and current state/future) of the clubs (maybe concentrate on those 'short listed' here), watch a few more games, particularly those that involve the teams that 'did well' from your research and in the end, follow your heart.

Support a team that needs all the supporters they can get.

i.e - North, Bulldogs, Richmond, Melbourne, GC or GWS.

Good to see people outside this country interested in the game.

"loyal supporters", definitely not West Coast then!

I would suggest either Richmond or North. Richmond supporters are also skeptical so that might suit you, but then North actually do well and make finals..... up to you!

but i think its difficult to just PICK a team and follow them passionately. Don't be hasty!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back