Help me find a club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Like military barracks. I forget the exact story but it's something to do with the ruckus that went on when games were played next to a barrack.

When I Googled it, Merriam Webster defined it as "to shout at derisively or sarcastically," but pointed out that that was "chiefly British." Under "chiefly Australian," it said to "root or cheer." Funny how things take on different meanings...

And it listed this as an origin: "perhaps from dialect (northern Ireland) barrack to brag. First Known Use: 1887"

So several folks have said that, in Australia, "rooting" does not mean to support and cheer for your team. What does it mean?
And when you say you "barrack" for your team, do you pronounce that with the emphasis on the first syllable, like a military "barracks," or on the second syllable, like "Barack" Obama?

Rooting has a similar meaning to a four letter word starting with F.

Barracking is prounced like a military barracks and is a world that developed in Victorian era Melbourne. It may have some Irish influence but that is because Australia itself is highly influenced by the Irish.

:mad:I am one unhappy Yank!..... No more ESPN3 coverage..... grrrr.....:mad:

http://www.worldfootynews.com/article.php/20120314181433542

You're a masochist if the little tiggers club is the one you've settled for. Good luck with that. :footy:

You can watch all games at the AFL website if you don't mind waiting 12 hours after a particular match has finished, assuming the AFL pricks haven't put any region restrictions.

You're other option is LIVEAFL.TV but you have to fork out $100 aussie dollars for it.

Damn! $100 AUS is $105 US... thank you very much Barack Obama!! ;)
livesport.tv is only $5 a month, or half that if you sign on for a full year.. but what I am really looking for is replays... the opening game Saturday is 7:20pm for you.. but 4:20 in the morning for me... even though I am quite a night owl, that is not going to fly...
And yes, I must be a masochist, I am already a Cleveland Browns fan! I haven't chosen Richmond yet, but they are in the lead. This website won't let you sign up without picking a team for your profile.

Taking off my Fremantle hat for a minute.

I can see why people (especially those without any geographical allegences) would start going for Collingwood. I mean:

*they play in the most block busters,
*they play infront of the biggest crowds,
*They play on the MCG the most
*Every team wants to lift to knock them off whenever they play them.
*There are good traditional rivalries
*They are well represented in the Media
*There is always plenty of stories on them (especially as an overseas supporter)
*Most likely to source games on the net.

None of these points are to knock Collingwood, I mean as an overseas supporter would you like to tune in to watch WB v Freo @ Etihad or Collingwood v Hawks at the G.

Now put my Freo hat back on - Go for Freo :thumbsu::D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't visited this thread in a while. Snap, time to pick your squad (well, not really...let it pick you, despite having to select one for BF). May I suggest the Geelong Cats????? Good players....good colors...small, but funky stadium....have a habit of winning all the marbles in odd years, as of late.....
Took me exactly one game to be a fan. Had it been Hawthorn and WCE in the GF, who knows?

As far as getting broadcasts, I've got Liveafl.tv and that does just fine for me. Like you, the 3:40 AM starts ain't gonna' cut it. Those I'll just have to watch replays of...which is great because you can back up and see stuff again. But the 1 pm-ish Saturday starts translate to Friday at 9 PM for us and that works pretty nicely. Fox Soccer Plus announced last week that they'll have 2 games a week on, as well as the Grand Final. Bread crumbs, I know...but man, watching a game on a big TV instead of a laptop might just be worth the $16 or whatever a month. I may pull the trigger on that....we'll see. Screw the soccer.....

But this will be my first AFL season....kind of stoked for it. Great time of year...NCAA Tournament, baseball starting, and best of all, NHL Playoffs. And now, a fun little new item, the AFL!

All depends on how serious the OP is.

If the OP is serious about getting into AFL full on, then he/she should wait a season, watch tonnes of games involving every team and then decided.

If the OP is only planning on being a so so supporter, then they might as well go for Collingwood.

More media exposure, bigger crowds to games so at least on the odd occasion you get to go, you will get a decent crowd regardless. We're also a pretty decent side most of the time. Haven't been down in the doldrums too often and for too long when we have.

We play most of our games at the G, still have the rich proud history with plenty of 'dark times' and failure, hell no team has played in, and lost, more Grand Finals than us.

But again, I'd recommend just watching for a season and then deciding.

I am already a Cleveland Browns fan! I haven't chosen Richmond yet, but they are in the lead.

Good to hear KD, if your gut feel says Tiges then its Tiges all the way think the Tiges have found a new supporter welcome aboard the tiger express, fanaticism at its best with the tiger army!!!

Haven't visited this thread in a while. Snap, time to pick your squad (well, not really...let it pick you, despite having to select one for BF). May I suggest the Geelong Cats????? Good players....good colors...small, but funky stadium....have a habit of winning all the marbles in odd years, as of late.....
Took me exactly one game to be a fan. Had it been Hawthorn and WCE in the GF, who knows?

As far as getting broadcasts, I've got Liveafl.tv and that does just fine for me. Like you, the 3:40 AM starts ain't gonna' cut it. Those I'll just have to watch replays of...which is great because you can back up and see stuff again. But the 1 pm-ish Saturday starts translate to Friday at 9 PM for us and that works pretty nicely. Fox Soccer Plus announced last week that they'll have 2 games a week on, as well as the Grand Final. Bread crumbs, I know...but man, watching a game on a big TV instead of a laptop might just be worth the $16 or whatever a month. I may pull the trigger on that....we'll see. Screw the soccer.....

But this will be my first AFL season....kind of stoked for it. Great time of year...NCAA Tournament, baseball starting, and best of all, NHL Playoffs. And now, a fun little new item, the AFL!

God I hate the way you yanks talk about sport...

+1

Easier just enjoying the game for what it is, pick a team in the game you're watching & cheer them home, if they lose its only 5 mins of disapointment, instead of 5 days when you decide to support 1 team only, if you know what i mean.

What this guy says^^^^^^^^^^
I find it easier and easier nowadays just to pick a team on the day and enjoy The Game.
But it always helps if you are if you are interested in a local VFL or AMO club i suppose;)

Hello all, I am looking for advice on a team to support!
Let me give you some background on me: I am an American, have loved your game for many years, and in the past few years, through the magic of the internet, I have been able to watch a lot of great games online (like that incredibly exciting match between Hawthorne and Collingwood a couple months ago.... I was on the edge of my seat, and I didn't even care who won!)
Anyway, I thought it might be even more interesting for me if I chose a club to support. I know my profile here shows that I am a Gold Coast supporter, but this website wouldn't let me register without picking a team, so I picked the one that was new last year, like me, just so I could sign up for this site.
Here in the USA, I am a die-hard supporter of the Cleveland Browns of the NFL. If you are not familiar with American football, the Browns are a historic team, with a great history... but also a lot of bad times. They date back to the 1940's, but they have not had any success in the past 20 years. So the qualities of a Browns fans are: loyalty, hope, and sometimes skepticism. And we cling to our team, in good times and bad. So that is the type of club I am looking for.
So who should I support in the AFL? I did a little research, and to me it appears that the Western Bulldogs or the Kangaroos might be that type of team.... rich history, loyal supporters, hoping to work back to the top.
Tell me your suggestions!

I suggest you visit bay 13 for an overview of the pitfalls of each club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back