Help Neese decide on which new car to get please

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 29, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Norwood
OK I have come asking advice and I know Bathurst is on so not expecting immediate responses.

I have been test driving this week to get a new car.

I am 5 foot so looking for an auto hatch. Need auto and nothing bigger than a 2.0L engine. I have a lead foot and just don't need the power. Ideally I am looking for something I can fit my bike in but might not be realistic.
Last 2 cars have been 2002 Laser hatches the first one I bought new in 2002 and the second was second hand. The range of options and technology in new cars sa bit overwhelming tbh.

So far tested a VW Golf and quite liked it. Hated the indicators and wipers on the opposite side and kept setting off the wipers. Have heard bad things about servicing costs and reliability.

Next I tested was Corolla Hybrid hatch. I quite liked this one and loved that it switches over to electric automatically and charges as you drive it. I am 53 so this is likely to be the last car I buy. I like the reliability and this model is quite nice looking and not boxy ay all

Then I went to Mazda and tried a CX30. I loved all the safety features and in front display. My concern over this one is parking and manoeuvring given it sits a bit higher than what I currently drive and is this going to stress me.

Am going to test a Hyundai I30 Tuesday arvo.

I am after any advice please and happy to answer your questions. My budget is $40 to $45k and I prefer to buy new. I don't really have the time or energy to dick around with second hand cars.

Thank you

I am after any advice please and happy to answer your questions. My budget is $40 to $45k and I prefer to buy new. I don't really have the time or energy to dick around with second hand cars.

Thank you

I know no second hand cars, but there are plenty out there that will be much cheaper than brand new and will still feel like new (eg ex demo models) and will have the balance of the manufacturer's new car warranty (eg I bought a car last year that was a 2020 model, I will still have the warranty until 2025). I would not write them all off - look for low km ones obviously and preferably from a dealer.

I don't think a single hatch will fit a whole bicycle short of putting down your back seats and/or removing a wheel, so maybe not the best criteria to use. Have you considered a bike mount you can put on the back lid?

Of the ones you recommend, I liked my Golf and can confirm the higher servicing requirements, but parts are plentiful and the interior and ride quality are generally a notch above the Asian cars. You get used to the left hand indicator stalk very quickly.

Cannot easily go past the Corolla though, recent ones are decent in terms of styling and interior quality, and although I've moved past them I still have fond memories of mine - they do the job and are relatively cheap and reliable. i30 is extremely common so hopefully you can get a good deal on one and obviously will fit your budget perfectly as a result, but I find them a bit too basic in terms of performance and the interior a bit too underdone for my liking. Cannot give an opinion on the other two you mention.

If I had to pick one, on that budget, I'd however go Golf.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back