Help - old leather footy is hard as a rock

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hi all, I have this old footy that for whatever reason is like kicking a block of concrete around.. does anyone have any tips/strategies for softening up? Cheers in advance

Moisturising cream.
Seriously.
Get a big bottle of the cheapest you can, smother the footy in it, put in a plastic bag and leave over-night.
I did that with an old sherrin I had, worked a treat.

Moisturising cream.
Seriously.
Get a big bottle of the cheapest you can, smother the footy in it, put in a plastic bag and leave over-night.
I did that with an old sherrin I had, worked a treat.

Hahah thanks buddy, I knew somebody would pop up with an insane suggestion I would never have thought of! Will try it soon and let you know how it goes. Cheers!

If it works the ball will need a good wash though, the cream leaves a really weird residue :D
Only other thing you might want to look at is to seal the ball again afterwards.

edit: you can also buy some leather furniture "reviver" that should work, but $70 bottle of reviver vs $5 bottle of el cheapo moisturiser :D

Hi all, I have this old footy that for whatever reason is like kicking a block of concrete around.. does anyone have any tips/strategies for softening up? Cheers in advance

Try Saddle Soap - I played baseball for many years and used this on my gloves.

Question along the same lines, my sherrin is a couple of years old, still in pretty good nick, but the surface is incredibly slippery, night and day difference from when I first got it. Is there anything I can do about that?

Take the bladder out and smother and massage liberal amounts of Dubbin into it (inside and out) then place in a large foodsafe vacuum bag and then into a freezer for a few days. When you take it out dont unseal the vacuum but leave it in a warm sunny spot to thaw and sweat for a day. Take it out and bingo, perfect soft leather.

shoe polish works well if it's leather, use the same colour as the footy and brush it all over and then polish it up and after a week of kicking around, you'll find it really does the trick.

Also helps to play on grass as bouncing the footy on the road cuts it up to s**t and makes it as solid as a rock which you sound like your currently experiencing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks again to the functional human beings that responded helpfully. To the comedians who have obviously spent the friday night alone drinking, congratulations on your posts, I'm sure your imaginary friends were quite amused

You seem quite an aggressive and humourless person. If you treat your football the same way you treat us then no wonder it's become hard and lifeless. A little bit of love, intimacy and respect and you will see how your football and other things in your life soften up.

Thanks again to the functional human beings that responded helpfully. To the comedians who have obviously spent the friday night alone drinking, congratulations on your posts, I'm sure your imaginary friends were quite amused
Why thank you good sir. Myself and Reginal C Butler were having a right old chuckle here as we cleaned our monocles and spanked the pool boy

Lovely troll. Very well played.

Hand lotion is the go for any leather product. Sort of makes sense, it's designed to make leathery old woman hands soft and supple, so it should do the same for a footy.

Seriously, I use it on my leather and sheepskin jackets and it works well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back