Running/Fitness Help wanted: Off season/Pre season fitness trainings

Burty4

Rookie
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Hi guys,
I'm 20 years old and weigh 90kg at about 180cm tall.
My current 3K is 15 minutes flat and my 2k is 9:50.

Because where I live we don't start training at least until early February and I'm hoping to get a hand in some running plans/routines (what to do/ how many times a week) to get as fit as I can.

I never ever had a big tank and always been at the back of the pack and want to change that dramatically. I want to try and get into the midfield this year and be one of the top runners in my club. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

What is the rest of your week like?

When do you get up for work? What do you do for work? Do you need to take anything with you? - Because I want you to cycle to work.
Do you have any after commitments? Do you have a pool? Do you have a beach?

Do you have an oval nearby that you can jog to? - I want you to run repeat 400m sprints.

Sunday - Rest, 7 to 10km run (not a sprint, just to get your body used to running the distance)
Monday - Ride to and from work
Tuesday - Ride to and from work, 7 to 10km run (as Sunday)
Wednesday - Ride to and from work
Thursday - Ride to and from work, 20x 400m sprints at 1:15 repeats (start your stopwatch, run the 400 and then start the next one each time 1:15 passes)
Friday - Ride to and from work
Saturday - rest, swim, shag

The most important thing is to stack the sessions and recover really smart. Don't go for a beer after a run, stay hydrated all the time, sleep really well, stretch everything after everything and jump in your freezing pool for five to ten minutes after every run to take the heat out of your legs.

Drumroe

Premiership Player
May 9, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons

When do you get up for work? What do you do for work? Do you need to take anything with you? - Because I want you to cycle to work.

Do you have an oval nearby that you can jog to? - I want you to run repeat 400m sprints.

Sunday - Rest, 7 to 10km run (not a sprint, just to get your body used to running the distance)
Thursday - Ride to and from work, 20x 400m sprints at 1:15 repeats (start your stopwatch, run the 400 and then start the next one each time 1:15 passes)

The most important thing is to stack the sessions and recover really smart. Don't go for a beer after a run, stay hydrated all the time, sleep really well, stretch everything after everything and jump in your freezing pool for five to ten minutes after every run to take the heat out of your legs.

Far far too quick. If you're doing a 400m runs you want at least a 1:1 W:R Ratio, and I'd say he likely wouldn't complete a 400m in 1.15 anway I'd say going every 2-3 minutes would be best depending on his time, and 20x400 is too much for a single session.

Burty4

Rookie
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I live in mainland SA so no beaches within an hour distance, I live about 1.5/2k from work and the footy oval is about a block away from my house, so riding and running should be great. The local pool is about 4k away so I can ride/run there also. I have a spare wheelie bin for an ice bath after runs?

should I try to so some -100 sprints or should I wait until pre season has started to do it with the club, and also is it worth some skills practice also or not?

I live in mainland SA so no beaches within an hour distance, I live about 1.5/2k from work and the footy oval is about a block away from my house, so riding and running should be great. The local pool is about 4k away so I can ride/run there also. I have a spare wheelie bin for an ice bath after runs?

should I try to so some -100 sprints or should I wait until pre season has started to do it with the club, and also is it worth some skills practice also or not?

Perfect! A bin with water is great just make sure someone is around when you get in it because they are a pain to get out of once the cold has hit.

Drumroe is right about the time, the guys running 1:15 are elite world class athletes so when I ran with them I couldn't finish the session but attempting it consistently over weeks lifted my own fitness hugely. Try 1:45 rotations but the idea is to be at full effort and exhausted but still at full effort. Each week you might get another 400 or two in before falling behind.

What it will mean for you is that when it gets to the game you know you can run full power, the full length of the field over and over again for the whole game meanwhile the endurance runs will help with fatigue.

The most important thing is to run the three sessions in the week consistently and stretch and recover consistently. You'll get far more sore than you think you can run with but you can run with it. It will be so much worse if you don't recover.

Recovery for me was the difference between 3x5km runs a week and 3x10km runs per week.

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
step #1 - test your aerobic capacity by taking your resting heart rate every morning as soon as you wake up for a week and getting an average...if you're ave is over 60 bpm then you'll need lower intensity capacity work...if it's under then you can split lo and mod intensity work throughout the week...the start of week 2 test your aerobic capacity with a 12min run for distance

you've got to keep in heart rate zones to get the correct training effect rather then do runs for distance in the hope that you'll be training the correct energy systems

i mean if you can't run 100m quick then how can you run 400m quick?

and what have you done up to now?

check my link too for my blogspot on footy training for some more idea's

Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Rest and 7-10km? 20x400m sprints???

I'd aim for 3-4 running sessions with 2-3 full body weight days.

Don't set yourself up for failure. build up throughout the 8-10 weeks. No reason you couldn't get that 3km from 15min to ~13min if you put the work in.

Monday: 3km 75-80% (test your PB every 2-3 weeks)
Tuesday: Full body weights (leave the isolation movements for the beach boys)
Wednesday: 4x400m 90% (rest for 3-5 minutes in between sets.. you'll need it)
Thursday: Full body weights
Friday: 5-7km 60-70% (focus on covering distance instead of speed)
Saturday: Rest (can do weights if recovery is sufficient)
Sunday: Rest

Back