Help with identifying these Bears players please!

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 7, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Colorado Avalanche; Houston Rockets
Hi!

I'm updating / annotating some of my old Michael Voss cards and was wondering if anyone here could please help me identify the two Bears players standing and watching the marking contest? If it helps, the match was Round 7, 1993 against the Hawks at Waverley.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Voss94.jpg
    Voss94.jpg
    611.1 KB · Views: 312

This match is the Hawthorn v Brisbane game at Waverley in R7 1993. https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1993/021019930508.html

Of the player list shown here, my money would be on John Gastev, who played many a game as a (hapless) defender that season. Looks like his wiry frame, underarm grooming ;) and colouring to me.

Wrong end of the ground for Merrett (neither he nor Dunstall ventured very far from their respective goalsquares) and Matthew Clarke didn't play.

s-l1600.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He even seems to be wearing the same boots in this shot, which also seems to be at Waverley and might even be the same game.

EDIT: On reflection, perhaps not the same game -- the Bears played St Kilda at Waverley the same year (the infamous Paul Peos game played in teeming hail) with both Gastev and Shaun Hart in the team, and there's a fair bit of red, white and black in the stands behind Gastev.

11883968-3x2-940x627.jpg

Last edited:
I’d go for Merrett, he did go into the ruck at times. Gastev played with his socks pulled up

I can't see Merrett contesting a mark in the backline, rucking or not, especially not in those pre-flooding years.

The socks are the only thing that give me some doubt but Gastev still seems the most likely option to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back