Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Tracy Vilage Razorbacks
Hi all,

Shortly we are moving into our new home (thanks fed gov for the Home Builder Grant and state gov for FHOG) and we have a home theater room which means we need a new screen.
Initially I was all gun-ho for a smart projector, however seeing the prices meant either get a smart projector or get a new home.

My wife (thanks darling) has set me a limit around around $700 for a new screen, although she is constantly trying to find something on marketplace for me to buy :mad:

I am looking at something around the 55-65inch, and I know $700 wont buy me a Samsung or Panasonic or anything like that, however I have come up with a couple of options and basically wondering if anyone has these TV's and how they rate them for: a) gaming - old school hook up with N64 and Snes. b) Movies filmed and streamed in HD c) Kayo sports - I don't want a TV where live sport is barely watchable.
My criteria is basically Smart TV with Google Play store access so I can download everything I need, and watchable across the 3 main reasons I will use it (with sport being number 1)

My TV options are:
1. Kogan 65inch smart TV $699 when on sale which seems to be quite often.
2. Phillips 58inch TV $695 not sure if android tv base though
3. Ffalcon 65inch Smart TV $699 Linux based so don't know if all apps can be downloaded, although I would assume yes as it is Linux.
4. Bauhn 58inch Smart TV $569 Aldi brand TV, not sure on quality

Any thoughts, suggestion or other options are greatly appreciated.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
You’re probably not going to get much new for that money. The 2021 models will be out soon (now ?) and compulsive updaters will be shifting good sets on the second-hand market. Panasonic was a quality TV manufacturer but recently pulled out of Australia; a recent model of theirs would be a good option if you can find one.

I make this recommendation on the assumption that a dedicated theatre room demands quality over newness.

Of the brands mentioned my preference would be Philips (based on experience with decent budget PC monitors).

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
was just browsing thru jbhifi and noticably, there's more and more 50Hz TVs now...instead they spruik Clear Motion Rate (100 or 200 even) yes I have read up to find out what it means... but has anyone got one of these new fandangled thing ? and do you trust your own eyes ? I'm still in the camp of 100Hz refresh rate or GTFO...

Would rather keep my 3 yo 100Hz 4K Hisense than get a new 50hz one.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
was just browsing thru jbhifi and noticably, there's more and more 50Hz TVs now...instead they spruik Clear Motion Rate (100 or 200 even) yes I have read up to find out what it means... but has anyone got one of these new fandangled thing ? and do you trust your own eyes ? I'm still in the camp of 100Hz refresh rate or GTFO...

Would rather keep my 3 yo 100Hz 4K Hisense than get a new 50hz one.

Yep if you are going to watch sport or anything with objects that move a lot you want 100Hz.

Aug 19, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Imo, those cheap and nasty large hdtvs should be avoided at all costs.
Also be aware that the ĺarger the TV, the more obvious any defects are.

I also don't recommend anything bigger than 55in if you're going to be watching SDTV broadcasts and DVD.

Another thing to be mindful of is that the manufacturers do some annoying things, for example in their higher end TV they might decide to use a different panel from the rest of their range, and even worse, you have this absurd scenario where US and Australian model differ.

The difference could be panel, or connectivity options or both.

Use the internet before buying.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Was thinking about just getting this with the free freight offer to replace a 2013 Samsung which will get moved to the bedroom.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/samsung-q60a-55-qled-ultra-hd-4k-smart-tv-2021

Or would it be worth paying extra for something like this.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/lg-bx-55-self-lit-oled-smart-4k-tv-with-ai-thinq

I'm not really fussy but the one in the bedroom is junk though that needs to go.

How did you go Kram

I am seriously looking at the Samsung Q60A 55" QLED 4k Smart TV (exact same TV in the JB link above)

Had a look at it today at The Good Guys.

My local JB didn't have any floor stock of that model that I could look at.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
How did you go Kram

I am seriously looking at the Samsung Q60A 55" QLED 4k Smart TV (exact same TV in the JB link above)

Had a look at it today at The Good Guys.

My local JB didn't have any floor stock of that model that I could look at.
Sorry nah didn't end up getting the Samsung, bought the older model LG in that post for $2k when they still had one left in store. Although I haven't set it up a few months later though as I'm still renovating the lounge..

Apr 2, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Went and bought the new Google Chromecast with Android TV and I have to say it is one of the best Smart TV experiences to date. Ease of integration and setup, all the apps just work with very little lag or delay in loading. Beats most in built Smart TV's i've come across. Highly recommend with any older TV's with HDMI to give it new life.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Went and bought the new Google Chromecast with Android TV and I have to say it is one of the best Smart TV experiences to date. Ease of integration and setup, all the apps just work with very little lag or delay in loading. Beats most in built Smart TV's i've come across. Highly recommend with any older TV's with HDMI to give it new life.
Yeah got one for my old TV and then later on a another one for the new LG TV thinking I'd need as it was just before they had bought out the Kayo app. Great device.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Smart TVs are awesome. Apps built in, also how the tv guide button keeps a small window of the existing channel and sound, and allows you to navigate the rest of the channels without changing the picture/sound.

One thing i hate tho, and it's probably because I bought a cheap $300 android tv, but it takes 27 minutes from turning the tv on before everything loads properly, and before you can start changing the volume, channel, navigating in general ..otherwise if you dont wait for it to load, it'll glitch out and the tv will freeze in an off position, and you have to physically reboot it (reboot not turn on is more apt). I also haye how despite not having many apps installed, i keep getting warnings pop up "you are running out of space, press button to remove old temp data" and such. Like, the RAM gets used up quick, even if all youre ever doing is trying to watch tv, not apps.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Imo, those cheap and nasty large hdtvs should be avoided at all costs.
Also be aware that the ĺarger the TV, the more obvious any defects are.

I also don't recommend anything bigger than 55in if you're going to be watching SDTV broadcasts and DVD.

Another thing to be mindful of is that the manufacturers do some annoying things, for example in their higher end TV they might decide to use a different panel from the rest of their range, and even worse, you have this absurd scenario where US and Australian model differ.

The difference could be panel, or connectivity options or both.

Use the internet before buying.
Oh. Hmm.

Not a reply to you but piggybacking

Looking at a new TV and am a cheap person.

I have a Sony Bravia 55" 10 years old and still going but it lacks a few of the newer features I have seen around. And concerned over fizz bang crackle anytime

Price range is $750-$1000 and spotted a jb ad for Roku 75" at 900 and a Hisense 75 for 1100 ( talk em down)

Taking note of the 100hz are these ok or am I too cheap?

Looking for streaming app access to all digital platforms and some mild gaming

Back