Tertiary and Continuing help

Remove this Banner Ad

citrusjuice

Debutant
Nov 17, 2008
Ghetto
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
after i finish this year im looking to a course in sport management. i really want to do commerce-sportmanagement at deakin but i dont think i will get the enter required. Theres a la trobe one and vic uni one that i think i'd be able to get in but, i hear people saying the one at deakin is more highly regarded. Anyways...I've been recently lookng at the MIBT pathway to deakin, which is where you complete a diploma of commerce in the first year and you'll be able to transfer into the course for 2nd year of studies. However, the fee is 14k which is quite expensive. What do you guys think? any suggestions?

Ohhh and another question... I know experience is more important, but do employers consider the university that you completed you degree in? My careers teacher says they don't but im still skeptical lol.

Any help would be good

Thanks

after i finish this year im looking to a course in sport management. i really want to do commerce-sportmanagement at deakin but i dont think i will get the enter required. Theres a la trobe one and vic uni one that i think i'd be able to get in but, i hear people saying the one at deakin is more highly regarded. Anyways...I've been recently lookng at the MIBT pathway to deakin, which is where you complete a diploma of commerce in the first year and you'll be able to transfer into the course for 2nd year of studies. However, the fee is 14k which is quite expensive. What do you guys think? any suggestions?

Ohhh and another question... I know experience is more important, but do employers consider the university that you completed you degree in? My careers teacher says they don't but im still skeptical lol.

Any help would be good

Thanks

I'm postgrad at Deakin, so I don't know about the undergrad side of things.

Consult widely on MIBT (it's right next to Business & Law at Burwood). I don't know enough to be helpful.

As to "Old School Tie": I'm skeptical but I come from an industry that doesn't worry about that sort of thing anyway. You should research the industry you are keen on and speak to people working in it and get their opinion. Ultimately your ability to get work is dependent on your skill level and your ability to present yourself.

I'm in my third year at Uni doing Sports Management as a major (undergraduate). I'd suggest finding a Uni that has Sports Management as a postgrad option. If you want to know anything feel free to ask me.

I'm in my third year at Uni doing Sports Management as a major (undergraduate). I'd suggest finding a Uni that has Sports Management as a postgrad option. If you want to know anything feel free to ask me.

Hope its not to silly to ask, but what career paths does sports management take you into... like actual specific jobs. Is it hard to work your way up to player management just say afl players etc..

Im first year business student at monash, double major in law and management

Hope its not to silly to ask, but what career paths does sports management take you into... like actual specific jobs. Is it hard to work your way up to player management just say afl players etc..

Im first year business student at monash, double major in law and management

Sports Management has many career options such as:
  • Government departments (AIS, ASADA [Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority])
  • Sporting clubs (from community clubs to an AFL team - such as a membership manager and work your way up to football operations manager, major sporting organisations [such as AFL, NRL, A-League and overseas sports] and even working with the Olympics)
  • Event management (such as working at the MCG and fixturing)
  • Sport tourism
  • Marketing
  • Media (such as Fox Sports)
  • Athlete representation (like a club player).
I finish June next year and I still don't know what I'll get into. With Gold Coast and Western Sydney coming in - could have a chance there.

CoZi36

What can a diploma in sport and recreation get you into, i know it is a very basic package deal offered at tafe, but I am nearly graduated and am at that time when I think i should start to send off cover letters and see what I can get. any help would be appreciated :thumbsu:

AFL Legend- I did my dip of sport recreation, and then did a bachelor of rec management, and am now doing community development at an afl club in melbourne. How much experience in the industry have you had doing your diploma? Your not gonna get a decent job without already having contacts.

One thing about the industry, I think it will be very highly unlikely that you will get a job through seek (for a job you really want), it's all about the contacts you have and who you know. (I got my job through a contact I made doing experience with AFL Vic). It's more likely you'll find out about a job through a contact you made during a placement you did or work experience. I know a guy that did community programs at Cricket Victoria and had no qualifications- only experience.

It makes me laugh when people say 'I wanna work for an AFL club'. It's that big, and there are so many jobs, you can become a teacher at an afl club (no not a P.E teacher, some clubs have an education based program) or marketing or strength and conditioning. The only way your gonna know what you wanna do is until your doing it mate. That's why experience is the key.

AFL LEGEND: I'd suggest going to Uni and getting a degree, diploma's should only be a stepping stone into Uni (unless you're going to a trade, hairdressing etc). Degrees mean so much more than diploma's and I doubt you'll get a job with it. Start going to some Universities and see what you can get into and you won't need to do all the subjects as you would gain credit for those.

AFL LEGEND: I'd suggest going to Uni and getting a degree, diploma's should only be a stepping stone into Uni (unless you're going to a trade, hairdressing etc). Degrees mean so much more than diploma's and I doubt you'll get a job with it. Start going to some Universities and see what you can get into and you won't need to do all the subjects as you would gain credit for those.

AFL Legend- I did my dip of sport recreation, and then did a bachelor of rec management, and am now doing community development at an afl club in melbourne. How much experience in the industry have you had doing your diploma? Your not gonna get a decent job without already having contacts.

One thing about the industry, I think it will be very highly unlikely that you will get a job through seek (for a job you really want), it's all about the contacts you have and who you know. (I got my job through a contact I made doing experience with AFL Vic). It's more likely you'll find out about a job through a contact you made during a placement you did or work experience. I know a guy that did community programs at Cricket Victoria and had no qualifications- only experience.

It makes me laugh when people say 'I wanna work for an AFL club'. It's that big, and there are so many jobs, you can become a teacher at an afl club (no not a P.E teacher, some clubs have an education based program) or marketing or strength and conditioning. The only way your gonna know what you wanna do is until your doing it mate. That's why experience is the key.

Thanks for your help guys, I have been doing my course now for 2 years and am nearly finished, have 7 weeks left, I would like to go on and do further study (media communications) and would then lead me into public relations, hopefully in a sport and recreation enviroment, with this in mind I have had a little bit of experience in the sport and recreation field, I did some youth development work experience in the game development department, have run many cricket clinics and am currently working on my major project which is organising and implementing a major cricket carnival.

I was just looking to see what jobs my course could lead me straight into, post graduate, but obviously I am going to have to do some more studying to go and work towards that more elusive job higher up the pecking order. Thanks for your help though guys, I really appreciate, and any other information or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back