Henderson has Gone (to Hawthorn?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought Thompson was well loved from you guys, learn something every day
I still love him, but he's slowed down a lot and is severely lacking in areas. It's having a big impact on his ability to play well unless there's a stoppage where his lack of speed isn't a big deal.

We weren't/aren't a quick team, but he's probably the slowest, and he often slows down the flow of the game when he has the ball outside of stoppages when we're looking to play quick football.

So the annoyance comes from his (apparent) and the coaches refusal to try something new and just continually putting him out there even though he was seemingly getting worse every week.

How's Henderson "cooked" when he was our BOG in his last game for the Crows ......where'd you pull that beauty from :rolleyes:
A - the comment was in reference to Thommo, not Hendo

B - Henderson wasn't BOG in that game, at least not according to the coaches (as per the B&F voting). Hendo was only rated 5th best, behind Douglas, Cheney, M Crouch, and Walker. One of the 5 coaches didn't even think his game was worthy of a vote (i.e. he failed to "play his role, beat his man"). That makes sense when you think about it. He only played well in the first half, when West Coast allowed him to play as a loose man in defence (i.e. no opponent). He disappeared completely in the second half, when they decided not to allow him to run free. In terms of the B&F voting, he only "played his role" for half a game, when he didn't have an opponent; he failed to "play his role" or "beat his man" once he actually had a man to beat.

Henderson a Hawk
Not that u guys give a flying **** :p

Thanks for thoughts on him
Cheers
I hope he does well for you guys. He's a good bloke, but we were at that point with him where he wasn't ever going to be in our best 22 again. That doesn't mean he can't be for you though, we just have plenty of his type already after we brought in Seedsman and Hampton.

He could be a good and cheap Hill replacement for them.
Hendo isn't slow, not by any stretch of the imagination, but he's nowhere near the lightning quick pace of a player like Hill. If that's what they're hoping for, or expecting, then they're going to be bitterly disappointed.

Hendo isn't slow, not by any stretch of the imagination, but he's nowhere near the lightning quick pace of a player like Hill. If that's what they're hoping for, or expecting, then they're going to be bitterly disappointed.
He was one of the quickest on the list till the back

He was one of the quickest on the list till the back
Which says more about how pedestrian our list used to be. He's never been lightning quick - not in the way that Charlie Cameron, Dangerfield, Hill, and co are quick. He's far from slow - probably in the top 25% across the league, but he wouldn't be in the top 10% of speed merchants, and never was.

His highlights package on the Hawks site is bizarre. Shows him flying for a spoil and missing twice, once in slow motion and then shows Matty Wright kicking a goal for some reason along with a bunch of pretty basic plays. Weird cause he has done some pretty flashy things on the field from memory.

Hendo is pretty quick but his acceleration isn't the greatest. He's pretty tall and lanky so you can't expect that kind of explosive Dangerfield like speed.

Honestly I don't think speed is an issue for him playing on a wing going inside forward 50. It's probably when the ball is coming back the other way that he would have issues. It's his hunger to chase and defend his man that I don't rate.

A - the comment was in reference to Thommo, not Hendo

B - Henderson wasn't BOG in that game, at least not according to the coaches (as per the B&F voting). Hendo was only rated 5th best, behind Douglas, Cheney, M Crouch, and Walker. One of the 5 coaches didn't even think his game was worthy of a vote (i.e. he failed to "play his role, beat his man"). That makes sense when you think about it. He only played well in the first half, when West Coast allowed him to play as a loose man in defence (i.e. no opponent). He disappeared completely in the second half, when they decided not to allow him to run free. In terms of the B&F voting, he only "played his role" for half a game, when he didn't have an opponent; he failed to "play his role" or "beat his man" once he actually had a man to beat.
Right, did you have the same opinion of Reilly when he played his one good season without an opponent?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least you'll be able to spread the hate around.

We won't know what to do if Mackay, Douglas and Thompson aren't best 22 next year.

We'll probably be pretty happy as long as they're not replaced by mediocre experience that survive long bouts of poor form. Having said that, it's obviously only Mackay out of those 3 that's made a career out of being not best 22 whilst still playing most games. Thommo's body packs up after a run of games, but still has good footy in him. Dougie is only just returning to whipping boy status, but a good preseason and done time on ball might see him thoroughly deserving of his spot.

Hendo finds time and is almost never tackled. He has good lateral movement and awareness. But I agree, it's not blistering, but his combination of traits makes him find time and space better than almost everyone on our list. And for an outside player he gets his share of contested possessions. It can't be argued he's already in space with time when the gets it, he mostly finds it himself.

Which says more about how pedestrian our list used to be. He's never been lightning quick - not in the way that Charlie Cameron, Dangerfield, Hill, and co are quick. He's far from slow - probably in the top 25% across the league, but he wouldn't be in the top 10% of speed merchants, and never was.

I always thought Hendo was bloody quick before he broke his ankle.

I remember watching us against the Blues at Etihad in 2012 and Hendo was flying out of defence. Maybe my judgement is clouded because he was so much faster than nearly every other Crow.

His highlights package on the Hawks site is bizarre. Shows him flying for a spoil and missing twice, once in slow motion and then shows Matty Wright kicking a goal for some reason along with a bunch of pretty basic plays. Weird cause he has done some pretty flashy things on the field from memory.
Very bizarre. What the hell is that Wright goal doing there ???? Maybe they are trying to set a low expectation with the supporters?

I remember watching us against the Blues at Etihad in 2012 and Hendo was flying out of defence. Maybe my judgement is clouded because he was so much faster than nearly every other Crow.

I remember him being quick in 2012 too. We had a good physical balance that year. Shame we mucked it up so badly in 2013.

I think you and I are right....Vader wrong on this one, Henderson first couple of seasons was very quick as you say

Remove this Banner Ad

Back