List Mgmt. Henry signs to end 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great pick-up, coming along in leaps and bounds (quite literally), and completely worthy of a spot in the 22 as a genuine utility. Three years is both a strong endorsement of him from the club, and a strong endorsement of the club from him.

Yet another rookie list triumph. IWWT.

As long as he plays in defence I’m on board.

if he keeps kicking goals and chipping in with a few hitouts around the ground, he can continue in this utility role he's been playing over recent weeks - seems to have freed him up a bit and we're seeing some really good football from him

if he keeps kicking goals and chipping in with a few hitouts around the ground, he can continue in this utility role he's been playing over recent weeks - seems to have freed him up a bit and we're seeing some really good football from him
Yeah nah. He is a defender. But one who can be attacking with his play. Has the potential to be a ken Hinkley esque player.

And he certainly ain’t a ruck. If we weren’t fifty points up that had disaster written all over it.

Henry seems to be enjoying his time in the ruck, and not a bad teacher to learn from

As an undersized ruckman (Henry stands at 193cm), he has drawn from the expertise of Richmond flag winner Shaun Grigg (190cm), who is now a development coach at Geelong.

“I’ve been doing most of my ruck stuff with Grigga,” Henry said.

“I remember in 2018 I did a bit of ruck work as well and came up against Grigga and I thought because he is a little bit smaller than me I might actually win a ruck tap.

“He uses his body well and he is technically sound when it comes to ruck craft so he has given me some really good pointer on how to go about those ruck situations.”

Henry didn’t stuff the stat sheet in his ruck minutes against giants Nic Naitanui and Nathan Vardy against West Coast – he registered just two hit-outs – but he was a presence around stoppages in arguably his best game for Geelong.

The swing man recorded career-highs in disposals (19) and contested marks (four) and kicked a glorious twinkle-toed banana in the 97-point rout.
Helping out and playing his role – whatever that may be – was most important to Henry.

“I think a lot of what I do is to try and support my teammates and if that is helping out and going into the ruck then that is fine,” he said.

“It is actually quite enjoyable getting around the ball … it’s unpredictable and it’s good fun.”

Yeah nah. He is a defender. But one who can be attacking with his play. Has the potential to be a ken Hinkley esque player.

And he certainly ain’t a ruck. If we weren’t fifty points up that had disaster written all over it.

thats a really good comparison. One of your best yet.

GO Catters

The ruck stuff makes sense given that Grigga is instructing him. I dont necessarily agree on him doing it, but the fact that he learning form the guy that had to do it and I think won a flag doing it - at least there is some decent instruction there.

GO CAtters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

when Henry flies for a mark across the pack it’s the splitting image of Hinkley.
I was standing on the wing at KP with willo and The rabbi many moons ago and he took a hanger on the opposite wing. We all commented about how he could play given it was his rookie season. Signs were good back then and he's done a stellar job coming from there to now.

And if he ends up 1/2 as good as Kenny from Camperdown, we've done exceptionally well and Wellsy gets another 2ft size added to his already gargantuan statue.

GO Catters

I was standing on the wing at KP with willo and The rabbi many moons ago and he took a hanger on the opposite wing. We all commented about how he could play given it was his rookie season. Signs were good back then and he's done a stellar job coming from there to now.

And if he ends up 1/2 as good as Kenny from Camperdown, we've done exceptionally well and Wellsy gets another 2ft size added to his already gargantuan statue.

GO Catters
I think defensively he may even be better then kenny. There is serious potential for an all Australian half back flanker here.

geelong is just so good at producing half back flankers. In the past 30 years we have had Hinkley, bos, mansfield, Colbert, milburn, Mackie, Enright, Stewart. All guns.

He was running down from up the field. I have no problem with him doing that as he seems quite capable. It’s his turning circle that is an issue if he is starting foward. He can shimmy but I see little evididence he can turn 180 degrees as fowards need to. Glen jackovich syndrome.
He will continue to prove you wrong.

Don't understand why people have him in defense, the biggest knock on his game is his awareness and getting run down from behind, you can excuse it in forwards because they are trying to make the play and if they get a late kick away it can be a goal.

But Henry getting run down trying to take the ball from HBF or CHB has cost us goals in important games.

On top of that, you can clearly see he is an attacking player and should only be in defense when he sorts his match awareness out and plays off the half back line.

His best games in defense came of HB where he intercepts, takes off and puts the ball 50m up the field.

I’m still not sure what to make of him but 3 years will help with that

Id like to see a lot of vision side by side... to me I do not see Ken Hinkley watching Jack Henry. Ken was smaller, far more balanced he would use balance and guile to go around opponents, where as I think Jack is much stronger. Hinkley was so offensive he would mark, and play on, on to his left foot

When he marked Kenny seemed a lighter flanker type compared to Jack..who at 193 is big enough to out mark big strong opponents.

I like both players and maybe others see or remember something I do not

this is the only clip I could find with what I mean

Id like to see a lot of vision side by side... to me I do not see Ken Hinkley watching Jack Henry. Ken was smaller, far more balanced he would use balance and guile to go around opponents, where as I think Jack is much stronger. Hinkley was so offensive he would mark, and play on, on to his left foot

When he marked Kenny seemed a lighter flanker type compared to Jack..who at 193 is big enough to out mark big strong opponents.

I like both players and maybe others see or remember something I do not

this is the only clip I could find with what I mean

I was a young teenager watching Hinkley but he was a rare kind and real footballer’s footballer. He was more Andrew McLeod than Jack Henry. As you say, balance is a great descriptor.

Jack is a phenomenal athlete and it looks like he’s growing into a handy footballer. The way he’s learning to use his pace and agility to be damaging is a joy to watch. I hope he continues on this trajectory.

Love this player. Great news. Still reminds me of Colbert, but Hinkley is a good comparison. Overall, Jack is unique. Athletic, great leap, speed, endurance, and fearless mark.

Completely agree. He’s taken his game to a new level. I really like his attacking mindset at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back