List Mgmt. Henry signs to end 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely agree. He’s taken his game to a new level. I really like his attacking mindset at the moment.

And I think that's come from him playing a variety of roles this year, 2 games up forward in the absence of Cameron & Rohan, then as a utility over the past couple of weeks where he's primarily in defence but shifting into the ruck at times

Not sure he's necessarily going to be doing those things long term, but it does appear to have been good for his confidence over recent week, getting him more involved & playing with more freedom

How many hit outs has Henry had this season?

any guesses?

Who cares...especially as we've been repeatedly told that raw hitout stats mean s**t all

His move into the ruck isn't based on his hitout stats, or the individual but rather it's looking at things from a team perspective - Henry going into the ruck allows Blicavs to stay back in defence full-time, something which folks around here seemed to have been calling for over the last 18+ months

It's also giving Henry more freedom in his role, getting him around the ball more and involved further up the ground - something which is clearly benefiting Henry and in turn will surely benefit the team

Against WCE he had a career high 19 disposals including a career high 15 kicks, the week before against North it was a career high 8 handballs. So far this year he's also averaging a career high 13.8 disposals which is 4 better than last year & over 3 higher than his previous best ave; he's also averaging career highs in goals at 1 per game, marks at 4.8 per games, clearances at 0.6 per game and his clangers is at a career low dropping to just 1 per game

So yeah, if one decides to look beyond his hitout stats they can see that the move has been good for Henry & the team

How many hit outs has Henry had this season?

any guesses?
Can I interest you in a membership to my Hitouts Are Overrated Club?

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Who cares...especially as we've been repeatedly told that raw hitout stats mean sh*t all

His move into the ruck isn't based on his hitout stats, or the individual but rather it's looking at things from a team perspective - Henry going into the ruck allows Blicavs to stay back in defence full-time, something which folks around here seemed to have been calling for over the last 18+ months

It's also giving Henry more freedom in his role, getting him around the ball more and involved further up the ground - something which is clearly benefiting Henry and in turn will surely benefit the team

Against WCE he had a career high 19 disposals including a career high 15 kicks, the week before against North it was a career high 8 handballs. So far this year he's also averaging a career high 13.8 disposals which is 4 better than last year & over 3 higher than his previous best ave; he's also averaging career highs in goals at 1 per game, marks at 4.8 per games, clearances at 0.6 per game and his clangers is at a career low dropping to just 1 per game

So yeah, if one decides to look beyond his hitout stats they can see that the move has been good for Henry & the team

They lie, lies and stats etc ... but I believe that stats can mislead and stats can clarify... its just a matter of what you measure. IF we play Henry in the ruck each week, and we win by 100 points each week then obvious something works ..and then its a matter of measuring the right parameter.

I believe with ruck that hitouts can be damaging but it depends on your midfield, and to some degree numbers around the ball have reduced the importance of the tap. I suspect playing DHouse as the ruck V Gawn would demonstrate that hitouts can be damaging.. so to me its more about ensuring the other side doesnt get an advantage . Its why I did not mind Blake , he did not allow other rucks to dominate the situation. Unfortunately he was woeful in the more important aspect. The around the ground stuff. Taking marks and influencing play is what I want to see from a ruck.

In relation to Henry, he seems to fit what our team like. Just like Blitz he offers flex. I am sure eventually its what they would like SDek to offer.

They lie, lies and stats etc ... but I believe that stats can mislead and stats can clarify... its just a matter of what you measure. IF we play Henry in the ruck each week, and we win by 100 points each week then obvious something works ..and then its a matter of measuring the right parameter.

I believe with ruck that hitouts can be damaging but it depends on your midfield, and to some degree numbers around the ball have reduced the importance of the tap. I suspect playing DHouse as the ruck V Gawn would demonstrate that hitouts can be damaging.. so to me its more about ensuring the other side doesnt get an advantage . Its why I did not mind Blake , he did not allow other rucks to dominate the situation. Unfortunately he was woeful in the more important aspect. The around the ground stuff. Taking marks and influencing play is what I want to see from a ruck.

In relation to Henry, he seems to fit what our team like. Just like Blitz he offers flex. I am sure eventually its what they would like SDek to offer.

Yes & not because no doubt Gawn should dominate but it's then what happens with the other players and which midfield steps up - though Melbourne look pretty good in that department this year

The Collingwood vs Brisbane match in round 3 is a good example of being dominant in the ruck not necessarily equating to damaging hitouts. Final hitout stats that night was Collingwood with 63 & Brisbane 4, and Grundy having 54 of his own; the final clearance stats was 35 to 30 in Collingwoods favour but the centre clearances was 13 to 11 in Brisbane's favour & they won the match with a goal after the siren

So for all the dominance that Collingwood looked to have in the centre & the ruck, they didn't really capitalise on it, and the +59 hitouts didn't end up as damaging as they may have

You get ruckman are only 1 player out of 22 right?

yes, and hence why raw hitout stats are rather overrated

a better indication of a ruckmans value is hitouts to advantage & their follow up work around the ground

Take Saturdays match for example, Naitanui had 25 hitouts to go with 13 diposals, while Stanley had 22 hitouts to go with 15 disposals - so based on hitout stats it would be easy to assume that Naitanui held a slight advantage in that contest, but it's this passage which actually gives a really good indication of who had the better match & bigger impact for their team

“This was when they were going well. Geelong wins the free kick, Rhys Stanley (runs), Nic Nat has a look at him and then he goes, you know what, I think I’ve gone far enough,” Brown said.
“That’s lazy from a leader, because look who ends up with the football (Stanley). I don’t know what Nic Nat’s doing; it’s his role there to be guarding the centre square.”

1619746559037.png

Nic Naitanui chooses not to run with opponent Rhys Stanley.

1619746566204.png

Naitanui's opponent Stanley ends up taking the mark inside 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
yes, and hence why raw hitout stats are rather overrated

a better indication of a ruckmans value is hitouts to advantage & their follow up work around the ground

Take Saturdays match for example, Naitanui had 25 hitouts to go with 13 diposals, while Stanley had 22 hitouts to go with 15 disposals - so based on hitout stats it would be easy to assume that Naitanui held a slight advantage in that contest, but it's this passage which actually gives a really good indication of who had the better match & bigger impact for their team

“This was when they were going well. Geelong wins the free kick, Rhys Stanley (runs), Nic Nat has a look at him and then he goes, you know what, I think I’ve gone far enough,” Brown said.
“That’s lazy from a leader, because look who ends up with the football (Stanley). I don’t know what Nic Nat’s doing; it’s his role there to be guarding the centre square.”

View attachment 1114928
Nic Naitanui chooses not to run with opponent Rhys Stanley.

View attachment 1114930
Naitanui's opponent Stanley ends up taking the mark inside 50.

Natanui and the Eagles mids have fantastic connection - when his taps come off with a mid possessing it they look Hollywood.
However the game is so strategic now that more often than not hose taps are negated - ironically it's one of the reasons we all lose our s**t when they come off - they are rare :D
Your other point re Natanui is his follow up work around the ground. He's never been particularly tuned in as to where to be - he's pretty hopeless to be honest - and I think his lack of fitness is compounding that at the moment.
I saw the Pies game live over here and early on Grundy exploited him by running forward like Stanley did.
In addition the amount of times he was caught in no mans lands , about 30 metres from the contest, with the ball sailing over his head was ridiculous.
He just doesn't get to spots where he can be used or compete , either low footy IQ or a lack of fitness or combo of both.
He's a beast when he's in the contest but he could and should be doing a lot more during games IMHO

Then you have to blame the coach for the stoppage set ups, Danger, Selwood etc rather than Rhys the escape goat. Much easier to drop Stanley and play Blitz in the ruck....
Long time Rhys fan here, for my sins.

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
The ruck stuff makes sense given that Grigga is instructing him. I dont necessarily agree on him doing it, but the fact that he learning form the guy that had to do it and I think won a flag doing it - at least there is some decent instruction there.

GO CAtters

A 193cm high ruckman? Young Henry is the same height as one of my all-time favourites in Johnny Barnes! Hope his career is just as good!!!

John Barnes
Date of birth - 1 June 1969
Original team(s) - Cobram (MFL)
Height - 193 cm (6 ft 4 in)
Weight - 95 kg (209 lb)

202 Games
90 Goals

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
It was two against none in this case Gold Coast have no fit ruckmen
And sydney destroyed them in the ruck.

Weve been kocked out of numerous finals in the past 10 years with the primary reason being smashed in the ruck.

Sandilands beat us almost singlehandedly in the 2013. 5 goals in a low scoring game were a result of his ruck dominance.

We also lost unlosable games against nth in finals due to being smashed by goldstein.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
And sydney destroyed them in the ruck.

Weve been kocked out of numerous finals in the past 10 years with the primary reason being smashed in the ruck.

Sandilands beat us almost singlehandedly in the 2013. 5 goals in a low scoring game were a result of his ruck dominance.

We also lost unlosable games against nth in finals due to being smashed by goldstein.
Did they? despite Sydney winning the hit outs 76 to 20 Gold Coast won the clearances and the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back