Heppell > Atley, I don't think so

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't know what I would do if I had to contend with a day without being outraged about something some tosser had stated about one of our players.

I don't know why people are even bothering to make the comparison, we didn't have the option to take Heppell, so it is no skin off our nose if Atley is better or worse than him.

In the last 12 months Atley's kicking has improved light years, he was pretty ordinary in his first year, he is deadly accurate now. Heppell has always been a good kick. Just be thankful, if Atley was kicking like he was now back in the juniors then neither us or Essendon would have got within a bull's roar of him.

121 posts.

Probably not even a North supporter.

Sigh. I am actually, since 1977 when I saw my first game of VFL and fell in love with Barry Cable. Unfortunately I have a life outside of Big Footy and can not afford to average 55 posts per day.

As the point of the post seems to be missed, why is Heppell considered God's gift to young footballers when there are plenty of better young players out there. In our case Atley.

Obsession, seriously, why try and compare everything to Heppell?

I'm guessing it's to drag opposition posters in to defend their player, and provide a target for the posters here who seek a bit of a verbal stoush, but that's just a stab in the dark TP. Dodoro's video pumping up Atley as "the next Chris Judd" seems to provide an endless supply of mirth around these parts, and Heppel's shortsteppels have merely added fuel to the fire I guess.

Plus, it's off season and all manner of gap filling threads pop up.

I'm guessing it's to drag opposition posters in to defend their player, and provide a target for the posters here who seek a bit of a verbal stoush, but that's just a stab in the dark TP. Dodoro's video pumping up Atley as "the next Chris Judd" seems to provide an endless supply of mirth around these parts, and Heppel's shortsteppels have merely added fuel to the fire I guess.

Yep.

It's some clowns idea of a cunning psychological trap.

To be honest, even with the Dodoro video saying he had some "Judd-like" qualities, I really don't see the need to compare with Heppell.

Just look at the "Shortsteppell" stuff some North supporters run with, is it not sad that some people here have to degrade a real talent in Heppell just to try and score some mythical brownie points for Atley?

To be perfectly honest, the true North supporters who are perfectly happy with Atley are the ones who don't slag Heppell off in the process. For them, Atley's career seems to be some grand competition with Heppell in order to somehow justify that they made the right pick, which is made even more ridiculous by the fact Heppell went 10 spots ahead.

Just look at it from the other side, Atley is rarely brought up in relation to Heppell, he only is if it's to take the piss out of North supporter's obsession with comparing the two. Even if he is brought up, it isn't trying to highlight every little flaw of Atley.

I would be willing to bet that North supporters would enjoy the ride a hell of a lot more if they stopped trying to compare him/degrade Heppell.

I really don't care TP, and I don't compare. I couldn't give a toss quite frankly. I thought Heppell's first season was outstanding, with his second more like what you'd expect of a talented kid in his second year. Atley began with less of a bang and has developed into an absolute jet.

You, and many other Essendon supporters who frequent here at the mention of Heppell, get reeled in by the OP and take it all far too seriously. Most of us couldn't give a crap about Heppell, other than have an opinion on him as a player with two years experience. Some rate him, some don't, and that's that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To me they are different types of players with different attributes, so the comparison is futile.
Heppell has similar qualities to Pendelbury, reads the game well, is smooth in traffic and is a great kick.
Atley has similar qualities to Judd with his speed and agility, and has improved his kicking.
Both will hopefully turn out to be great players.

I really don't care TP, and I don't compare. I couldn't give a toss quite frankly. I thought Heppell's first season was outstanding, with his second more like what you'd expect of a talented kid in his second year. Atley began with less of a bang and has developed into an absolute jet.

You, and many other Essendon supporters who frequent here at the mention of Heppell, get reeled in by the OP and take it all far too seriously. Most of us couldn't give a crap about Heppell, other than have an opinion on him as a player with two years experience. Some rate him, some don't, and that's that.

Heppell is a Gibbs like half back and very good at what he does.

However, he ain't no game breaker.

Atley on the other hand. He could be anything.

Pick 8 was overs for a player like Heppell and pick 17 was well and truly unders for a player like Atley.

Assume this was started in reference to Heppell getting named best young player in the coaches awards... It's important to remember that this is based on their first TWO years of footy. Heppell's 2011 was definitely better than Atley's and so he deserved the award.

As for who is going to be a better player... for us it's irrelevant. We never had to make the choice. The only mildly (very mildly) interesting thing in comparing them is that if Atley turns into a gun and is a significantly better player than Heppell, then Essendon made a mistake in changing their mind at the last minute, but so what, it happens every draft. Criticizing draft day decisions with the benefit of 5 years hindsight is an internet hero's game

Criticizing draft day decisions with the benefit of 5 years hindsight is an internet hero's game
Yer, but like... it's fun.

im-from-the-internet.jpg

I would be willing to bet that North supporters would enjoy the ride a hell of a lot more if they stopped trying to compare him/degrade Heppell.

Say what?

All the posts on the Essendon board following this, is bagging the s**t out of North Melbourne, rather than talking of your own player.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back