Heppell on 360

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be surprised if any player made public any legal document pertaining to the appeal (i.e. the dec forms) prior to the hearing and risk antagonising the court.

those forms are irrelevant to the appeal anyway. They are appealing on a technicality on how the trial was held. The documents he "couldn't detail" won't even be tendered.

Is there anything in his appeal which is stopping him from showing his ASADA declaration form? Im pretty sure that all players would get to keep a copy, and I assume he kept his copy.

Is there any part of his appeal which would stop him from confirming what contact he has had with Hal Hunter? Or whether he also has asked Essendon for access to all his records? I assume if Essendon found a bunch of stuff for Hal, they probably also found stuff for other players?

there is absolutely nothing stopping him handing over the details. He just hoping he can use the appeal as an excuse.

Difference is EFC didn't have any procedures/JSA's for what happened at Hyper Med for Hal to follow. Management failed to implement previously agreed protocols. Players were told not to talk to Dr Reid. I find it hard to be too critical from an OH&S perspective of the youngest squad member with shaky tenure.
The thing you aren't taking into consideration is common sense. Alarm bells should have been ringing from the get go. Nothing to do with OH&S but what the * is all this stuff dude? Told not to talk to the doc, I mean what the actual *? Red flag red flag red flag!

"Hoping you weren't going to give a full whack... but you looked after me okay" - Dyson Heppell

Don't think they could have gone softer on Heppell if they were instructed.

Plus he would have known what they were going to ask and the producers would have agreed on the responses. He wouldn't be on the show otherwise, I think.

Plus he would have known what they were going to ask and the producers would have agreed on the responses. He wouldn't be on the show otherwise, I think.

Yep. You don't want to pay an AFL star a bunch of money and then assassinate him on camera.

Reckon he'll be good for the show with the other lads.

The thing you aren't taking into consideration is common sense. Alarm bells should have been ringing from the get go. Nothing to do with OH&S but what the **** is all this stuff dude? Told not to talk to the doc, I mean what the actual ****? Red flag red flag red flag!
1 common sense among AFL footballer is uncommon. Andrew Walker rocked up to court for being caught driving without a license and the judge asked how he got there. He told the judge he drove. There are countless other stories of how sheltered AFL footballers are living in a different world to mere mortals

2 The 4Cs show was solely about oh&s. The law suit EFC will settle is going to be solely about OH&S

Yep. You don't want to pay an AFL star a bunch of money and then assassinate him on camera.

Reckon he'll be good for the show with the other lads.

Yeah, they'll do it with any guest too. From memory they even asked Bucks a question without warning last night haha.

"Hoping you weren't going to give a full whack... but you looked after me okay" - Dyson Heppell

Don't think they could have gone softer on Heppell if they were instructed.
all shows are scripted. (Including reality garbage)

what was instructive was how heppell allowed himself to be exposed as a lying idiot

Robbo says that ASADA told the boys that they would be right...when did that happen?
ASADA investigators told them that they wouldn't go for AOD. This has been presented as 'ASADA said we'd be right' from the beginning and comments like Robbo's are merely designed to perpetuate that myth.

It's not rocket surgery. He's the new vitamins McVeigh, but with worse hair. And probably not as smart, which is a sad failure to reach a fairly low bar.

He wasn't there to tell us how the group was feeling. Spare me. He was there to blow the clouds of bullshit back into place by saying stuff which wasn't consistent with the 4 Corners message of "EFC screwed me over, and are still screwing me over."
possibly
but given he said very little on a program that only those with foxtel would see (and I'm guessing robbo will write about, so with paid access to the HS too), vs a FTA program that has been covered by most news outlets in the days preceding and the day since....seems a rather futile exercise.
But 360 have Heppell, so they may as well use him as much as they can. He's getting better with the media stuff.

as for smarts, he's employed to be a footballer, not a rocket (or sports :p) scientist.

So if at work I send an 18yr old apprentice up on a roof without a handrail, tell him it is all fine and he falls and he becomes a paraplegic he needs to take responsibility as he should know the OH&S regs. I don't think so. That's why managers get paid the big bucks ( even if it is often less than the people they manage on hourly rate)

On that note, Watson Fletcher and company can count themselves extremely lucky they didnt get more severe sentences than the junior players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll say it again

If Hird and his bunch of cronies had said yup we tried to cheat and we were stupid

Then this would have been over two years ago

Heppell is a fool ......living in denial street is futile

Spin doctors like Heppell are sent to the media ....to try and sell a message the public isn't going to swallow

The AFL needs someone to come in and un-apologetically tell the AFL and AFL media what he thinks of their bullshit spin and propaganda. An outsider who will call a spade a spade, and make the AFL great again. Basically, the AFL needs it's own Donald Trump.

The AFL needs someone to come in and un-apologetically tell the AFL and AFL media what he thinks of their bullshit spin and propaganda. An outsider who will call a spade a spade, and make the AFL great again. Basically, the AFL needs it's own Donald Trump.
fist fights for all?

The AFL is great. Hawthorn going for another flag. Bombers a disgrace and a bunch of cheats. Things are sweet.

Yeah if it smells like chicken looks like chicken tastes like chicken .......err it's chicken

They talk like we are stupid ...to mr Heppell .....you ain't fooling anyone

So, the players must have been instructed to conceal the programme from Reid - why?
My theory on the events as we understand them;

Reid blew up early January with the injections, told Hird, wrote a letter and Hird issued the new protocol which said that everything had to pass through the Doc.

By late January / early February, Reid still hasn't okayed the AOD. This is when the 'UN skills' messages are sent as the Doc was 'holding up the program'. He was viewed as out of touch with modern sports science and a bit of a fuddy-duddy.

I think it was around here that the players were asked to keep the program from the Doc because they were 'falling behind schedule'. However, players are worried about this so seek assurances that the program is safe, legit etc. Out come the 'Consent Forms'.

Am I the only one that feels sorry for the players?
Of course its easy for us to stand here now and be all high and mighty. These players were probably told that every club is doing this. That what they were taking is not illegal, that they are close to the line but not overstepping it, they see older players doing it without a question. Were probably told this is the sports scientist that worked at Geelong, Cronulla, etc. All this happening is just like a bad dream to them now. Theres no way anyone could have expected it to happen. Can you imagine a whole team of players being suspended? No way.

I dont think any one of us in their place would have done anything different. I really dont. he only ones that didnt have injections were the ones that were needle phobicOtherwise why would all 36 players take part? All of them are drug cheats, sure, by the letter of the law. But there is a reason why they are all on the same team. The administration that encouraged and basically forced them to do it.
How Hird and co are not going to jail for this is beyond me.

Yes, he ......

What I would have liked to have seen is more depth on why he didnt sign the consent form, and what response that had from the club, Hird, Dank, other players, etc. .....

Mind you, if they covered everything then it would have been 2 hours of 4 Corners investigation.

As it is though, the 10 minutes of AFL 360 provided no insight other than showing us a player who still thinks nothing bad actually happened and that he is a complete victim (but given nothing bad happened I do wonder how he is a victim of the EFC). He even managed to say that the rules are rules and he had no issue with that.

Just baffling what is going on in his head. I assume he has just been overwhelmed with garbage from EFC, the AFL, the AFLPA, lawyers, other players, and all his friends and family that he probably has no idea what is actually happening.
Us HTB nuts could have gone two hours no worries. (if it gets us closer to the truth and/or a better understanding)

Have a feeling Gerard wanted to unload on the bloke a few times except for Heppell's supposed good bloke status. When Hird was on it was a different matter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back