Herald Sun agenda against Melbourne's Homeless

Remove this Banner Ad

As a security officer, you have an awareness of those who are homeless. Goes with the territory I suppose.

Most homeless people that I have met are genuine and do need help. Heck I'd love to be able to help them myself but can't.

But, that does not mean there aren't things that can be done to assist.

We have a lot of empty space in our capital cities and major country centres.

Why not fit these places out to house those who have no home of their own?

The real reason behind the moving on from Flinders St was obvious..they were blocking the construction works to be done there.
We have places for the homeless to go and they are far more accessible than what people seem to think.

However, some prefer to refuse offers to stay in these facilities for whatever reason.

We have places for the homeless to go and they are far more accessible than what people seem to think.

However, some prefer to refuse offers to stay in these facilities for whatever reason.

Some of those places are rife with drugs as well. Which for those already using, doesn't matter, but for those who aren't or are trying to leave that lifestyle it makes if harder.

Some of those places are rife with drugs as well. Which for those already using, doesn't matter, but for those who aren't or are trying to leave that lifestyle it makes if harder.
If so then it goes the other way as well. It's the hard attitude to drugs in places run by charities like the salvation army which drives people to sleep rough.

I'm guessing parks otherwise it's a completely unworkable law that doesn't take the reality that actual homeless people exist and there aren't places for them to go. As long as they're not creating danger for others or damaging property I really don't care where they sleep. It the ones that spread their belongings all over the footpath under the viaduct at Flinders st and Spencer st forcing people to step on the road to get past that are a real problem.

Maybe they should hand out free one man tents and sleeping bags.

There was (is?) a homeless man in Footscray who'd sit himself against the outside wall of the Paisley Street Coles right exactly where the bus stop is so people would have less than a metre to walk past him. I guess it was so he'd get more donations or he might've just been a dick (or just a plain old weirdo; he didn't have any belongings).

So will these 'homeless' people find another street to beg and harass people or just return to their homes they are choosing not to live in?

Its hard to feel sorry for them or believe they are truly homeless when they get offered assistance and turn it down. Maybe money for drugs is the only assistance they want...

Also good to see those rent a crowd protesters on hand today, they are obviously pretty well off as they dont need to work, maybe they can offer these poor people some money or accommodation instead of fighting police!

Go back to England.

Anyone who think it's as simple as homeless people just going to temporary accommodation has rocks in their head. Those places are wretched more often than not; yes, to the point where staying on the street is often probably more desirable.

I have worked in the city since June 2015 and the prevalence of homelessness has noticeably skyrocketed in that time. It's very sad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's almost as if Hebrew Rupe has a pathological hatred of non-billionaires

And the ignorant campaigner opens his mouth again.

There are mixed messages with this, from the Salvo's saying they won't take the offered assistance to the genuine people that want it saying it isn't offered. Don't buy into generic headlines.

I hear that claimed in London ie there is room available in shelters, no idea what the real truth is.

Last edited:
My Thoughts on the Homeless/Poor

Gracie Jane: It's people like you who are ruining our country.

Denny Crane: I'm not ruining the country. The poor people are ruining the country.

Gracie Jane: You sit there in your two thousand dollar suit blaming poor people? Answer the question.

Denny Crane: The poor people have plunged this country into debt. So much so that there are liberals in Washington who wanna take away my tax cuts. Your tax cuts. We worked hard for those tax cuts. And we're supposed to give them up for what? For Medicaid? Education? Teach them how to read. Hell, if they could read they wouldn't be poor. If Larry were here he'd get this. But you take Katrina. The poor people have cost us billions and billions.

Gracie Jane: In what way?

Denny Crane: Well the rich got out. Damn poor just hung around. For what? To watch! And now we have to pay for it.

Gracie Jane: Maybe they couldn't get out. Maybe they thought that the Federal Government might rescue them or, failing that. Give a damn.

Denny Crane: How stupid is that?
Lol at the dude posting quotes from a TV show and saying they are his thoughts.

You're not allowed to have fun if you're homeless apparently.
Wait. So instead of spending money on necessities, you're condoning it being spent on luxuries
Maybe I should try that when my rents due "sorry mate, not paying my rent. It's too high and I should be able to have fun". Maybe tell that to the people who sacrifice just to pay the bills.
No. If you can't afford accomodation, you shouldn't be buying luxury items
(Dependencies are an exception to this. Drug/alcohol use for fun is what I'm referring to)

Wait. So instead of spending money on necessities, you're condoning it being spent on luxuries
Maybe I should try that when my rents due "sorry mate, not paying my rent. It's too high and I should be able to have fun". Maybe tell that to the people who sacrifice just to pay the bills.
No. If you can't afford accomodation, you shouldn't be buying luxury items
(Dependencies are an exception to this. Drug/alcohol use for fun is what I'm referring to)

If I lived on the street, I'd say that alcohol and marijuana were necessities -

If I lived on the street, I'd say that alcohol and marijuana were necessities -
I'm sure plenty of people who sacrifice to afford rent, food, electricity and water would love a drink too
Doesn't make it a necessity.

mate - they are on the street - they don't have a house, they don't have electricity or water to pay for
That wasn't the point at all
They do have food to pay for, and I'm sure if they could afford it, housing. The point made was that homeless people are entitled to "have fun". If they can't afford food/housing, how can they afford to have fun. Drugs and alcohol aren't a need or an entitlement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back