Toast Herald Sun Footy Podcast: Richmond legend Royce Hart on when former coach Tom Hafey chose to help him over a teammate in the Bondi surf

Remove this Banner Ad

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Adelaide Strikers
Richmond legend Royce Hart was a vital part of the Tigers side under Tom Hafey. And he’s revealed just how important his former coach thought he was in an extraordinary story from Bondi in 1967.

Richmond’s game plan under Tom Hafey was largely just kick it to Royce Hart, and the Tigers legend has recalled the preferential treatment he got from his former coach over his teammates.

Hart arrived at Richmond in 1966 from Hobart after the club’s master recruiter Graeme Richmond had offered the now famous recruiting lure of six Pelaco shirts and a Hersh suit for the young bank teller from Tasmania.

A then 19-year-old Hart won a VFL premiership in 1967, one of four in his career, when Richmond defeated Geelong in what is considered one of the classic games of footy.

1603195240338.png

He quickly became an integral part of Hafey’s team, so vital in fact the then Richmond coach left another one of his players out in the surf at Bondi on an end of season trip so he could help Hart get back onto the beach.

“What happened was we were out in the water and the tide at Bondi took us out and we went out about 100 metres,” Hart told the Herald Sun Footy Podcast.

“And Tommy was swimming with Tony Jewell and myself, so I was a bit further out than Tony Jewell and Tommy swam past Tony Jewell and gave me a couple of pushes to get on a wave and I came in and so did Tommy as well.

“So we were lying on the beach on our towels and about 15 minutes later Tony Jewell comes in and he is looking blue and he looked awful.

“And he said why didn’t you come up and get me, and Tommy said back pockets are a dime a dozen centre-half forwards are had to get... I’ve never seen someone look so sick.”

1603195292086.png

Hart, who said he was missing the high-scoring, big-marking and long-kicking style of footy in the past, said his former side was the better defensive side ahead of Saturday’s Grand Final against Geelong but need to find goals.

“I think today Richmond stand a real chance of losing the game if they can’t get their two key forwards (Tom Lynch and Jack Riewoldt) to kick at least six goals,” he said.

“Because I don’t think key forwards can survive on 10 possessions between them a game and a couple of goals, Lynch and Riewoldt have to kick goals.”

Richmond legend Royce Hart was a vital part of the Tigers side under Tom Hafey. And he’s revealed just how important his former coach thought he was in an extraordinary story from Bondi in 1967.

Richmond’s game plan under Tom Hafey was largely just kick it to Royce Hart, and the Tigers legend has recalled the preferential treatment he got from his former coach over his teammates.

Hart arrived at Richmond in 1966 from Hobart after the club’s master recruiter Graeme Richmond had offered the now famous recruiting lure of six Pelaco shirts and a Hersh suit for the young bank teller from Tasmania.

A then 19-year-old Hart won a VFL premiership in 1967, one of four in his career, when Richmond defeated Geelong in what is considered one of the classic games of footy.

View attachment 990639

He quickly became an integral part of Hafey’s team, so vital in fact the then Richmond coach left another one of his players out in the surf at Bondi on an end of season trip so he could help Hart get back onto the beach.

“What happened was we were out in the water and the tide at Bondi took us out and we went out about 100 metres,” Hart told the Herald Sun Footy Podcast.

“And Tommy was swimming with Tony Jewell and myself, so I was a bit further out than Tony Jewell and Tommy swam past Tony Jewell and gave me a couple of pushes to get on a wave and I came in and so did Tommy as well.

“So we were lying on the beach on our towels and about 15 minutes later Tony Jewell comes in and he is looking blue and he looked awful.

“And he said why didn’t you come up and get me, and Tommy said back pockets are a dime a dozen centre-half forwards are had to get... I’ve never seen someone look so sick.”

View attachment 990641

Hart, who said he was missing the high-scoring, big-marking and long-kicking style of footy in the past, said his former side was the better defensive side ahead of Saturday’s Grand Final against Geelong but need to find goals.

“I think today Richmond stand a real chance of losing the game if they can’t get their two key forwards (Tom Lynch and Jack Riewoldt) to kick at least six goals,” he said.

“Because I don’t think key forwards can survive on 10 possessions between them a game and a couple of goals, Lynch and Riewoldt have to kick goals.”

Can I say , and I acknowledge where Royce sits in the pantheon of greats , but I thought it was a Sh:t interview and Royce sounded like he was sucking up to Anderson . Didn’t enjoy it at all and I’m as dyed in the wool as you can get .
And Anderson is such a Geelong sycophant. It was about the only media I’ve heard him do without him mentioning how he was talking to ABLEtt Senior or junior “just an hour ago “.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Reminds me of another former Richmond coach in his pre-Richmond days.

'Jeans complemented his tough love with a lighter side: he would often 'rassle' his players when they were exhausted after training (urging them to give up as he applied more pressure to their weary bodies) and used his sharp wit to playfully let them know who was boss. When a group of players was arrested after a night of shenanigans on an overseas trip, Jeans was called to the local police station to sort out the drama. The exact words he spoke vary depending on who tells the story, but he reputedly advised the officer in charge he was free to shoot "him, him and him, but don't shoot the fat one" as he looked at star full-forward Jason Dunstall. The re-telling of the story is often a highlight at reunions.' (Ref Hawthorn AFL website.)

A good coach puts the team first ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back