Herald sun investigation into dees tanking saga

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
If the there were any intelligent journalists around and wanted to make a stand on tanking they’d want articles written re how successful Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney, Adelaide, WC and Collingwood have been for not tanking. Talk about why it’s bad and why successful clubs don’t do it. Talk about losing cultures cultivated by Melbourne and Carlton and why they’ve had so many no.1-2 selections between them but are still total losers.

Let’s give some credit to the winners here.

Who cares. We all know tanking doesn’t actually make your club better, it makes it worse. We tanked and it took us a decade to play finals again. Good clubs don’t do it. We aren’t a good club. Nothing to see here.
I think for most of us, this is about a bent AFL administration, rather than any club.

And this admin, in the form of Gil, is still running the show.

It's not spin, it's corruption, plain and simple

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
If the there were any intelligent journalists around and wanted to make a stand on tanking they’d want articles written re how successful Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney, Adelaide, WC and Collingwood have been for not tanking...
Geelong had plenty of handouts w/ father son selections. Hawthorn had priority picks. Sydney COLA.
Adelaide haven't been successful for years. WC priority picks (Jack Darling). Worsfold admitted to prioritising development when they won their spoon. Collingwood had priority picks. Bit of tanking too. Richmond- cheeky bit of tanking according to Wallace.

Every club does a little bit of "fudging the numbers".

IMO AFL should give Melbourne it's 500,000 back and some extra picks to even everything up.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
How the Blues escaped any sanctions for their blatant tanking in the mid 2000's in beyond me.. Did the AFL go soft after they had already punished them so much over salary cap breaches?
Yeah I can't understand how Carlton got away with that Kruezer cup game and Fevola getting benched when he looked like beating Collingwood of all teams from memory....

Carlton were a thousand times worse. Remember Kouta coming out and saying he wanted them to lose, I went from him being a favourite to my absolute most hated instantly. Regardless of the merit, he shouldn't have said it.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
If the there were any intelligent journalists around and wanted to make a stand on tanking they’d want articles written re how successful Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney, Adelaide, WC and Collingwood have been for not tanking. Talk about why it’s bad and why successful clubs don’t do it. Talk about losing cultures cultivated by Melbourne and Carlton and why they’ve had so many no.1-2 selections between them but are still total losers.

Except that some of the clubs mentioned did tank, but that doesn’t suit the narrative.

We were also playing finals within 2 years of the Kreuzer Cup.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
How the Blues escaped any sanctions for their blatant tanking in the mid 2000's in beyond me.. Did the AFL go soft after they had already punished them so much over salary cap breaches?

A bit maybe re salary cap, and also because they didn’t threaten to sack people for winning games.

We also sacked a coach that season for losing, not winning!

You will find about half the comp in dodgy tanking when priority picks existed.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Except that some of the clubs mentioned did tank, but that doesn’t suit the narrative.

We were also playing finals within 2 years of the Kreuzer Cup.
Which clubs? Not Geelong, Hawthorn and WC. Adelaide has always been finals thereabouts and Collingwood up until 2011 were top 4. Lean patch under Buckley but did they tank?

You played finals in 2009 probably off the back of some decent experienced players but it was well and truly downhill from there. Nevertheless, your abundance of top picks like ours proved nothing in the light of day.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Which clubs? Not Geelong, Hawthorn and WC. Adelaide has always been finals thereabouts and Collingwood up until 2011 were top 4. Lean patch under Buckley but did they tank?

You played finals in 2009 probably off the back of some decent experienced players but it was well and truly downhill from there. Nevertheless, your abundance of top picks like ours proved nothing in the light of day.

Well hawthorn yes in 2005

WC questions about them late 2000s

Cats no

Pies definitely 2005.

No tanking has existed post removal of priority picks.

Wasn’t all down hill from 2009. Made finals 2010/11 as well. 2009 was a reasonably young side, I don’t think we had anyone over 30. Our issue was god awful recruiting from then until 2014

Theo X

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
East Wedderburn Trugo Club
The AFL needs to investigate clubs like Carlton and Richmond whose coaches admitted to tanking but weren't even investigated. Collingwood, Hawthorn, Richmond, WC all tanked and won flags from their ill gotten gains.

david addison

Team Captain
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
The AFL needs to investigate clubs like Carlton and Richmond whose coaches admitted to tanking but weren't even investigated. Collingwood, Hawthorn, Richmond, WC all tanked and won flags from their ill gotten gains.
Bullshit. I mean I strongly disagree with your comments. If you're talking about '04 & '05, the Pies were decimated by injury. The entire forward line & the entire ruck division were missing for most of those seasons. No surprise that a half back in Clement won the B&F both years. We lost to Freo by 100 points, and that's too humiliating to be tanking.

Back