Remove this Banner Ad

Dan26

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 23, 2000
Werribee
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I don't know why the media persists with this rubbish. Year after year, we hear "Insert Victorian team" carry states hopes.

Anyone who understands tribal footy culture going back 100 years, knows that we as Victorians hate the other Victorian clubs. It's the same in the EPL and any tribal localised sporting league. Richmond do not carry the hopes of Victoria, nor should they. They carry the hopes of their own fans. You'd think the Herald-Sun would be beyond this rubbish, as this is now the 8th consecutive year a Victorian club has met a non-Victorian club. I expected this sort of crap in the early 90's when the national comp was just fledgling, but not in 2019.

Last edited:

I don't know why the media persists with this rubbish. Year after year, we hear "Insert Victorian team" carry states hopes.

Anyone who understands tribal footy culture going back 100 years, knows that we as Victorians hate the other Victorian clubs. It's the same in the EPL and any tribal localised sporting league. Richmond do not carry the hopes of Victoria, nor should they. They carry the hopes of their own fans. You'd think the Herald-Sun would be beyond this rubbish, as this is now the 8th consecutive year a Victorian club has met a non-Victorian club. I expected this sort of crap in the early 90's when the national comp was just fledging, but not in 2019.

It's been the AFL since 1990.
Apart from the odd appearance, like in yesterdays's game by the VFL ARC operators, the VFL finished in 1989.
Go GWS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone who understands tribal footy culture going back 100 years, knows that we as Victorians hate the other Victorian clubs. It's the same in the EPL and any tribal localised sporting league. Richmond do not carry the hopes of Victoria, nor should they. They carry the hopes of their own fans. You'd think the Herald-Sun would be beyond this rubbish, as this is now the 8th consecutive year a Victorian club has met a non-Victorian club. I expected this sort of crap in the early 90's when the national comp was just fledging, but not in 2019.

Big media wants you to post this story all over your social media. The more outrage you express, the more clicks you give them.

Which only makes them stronger.

Thanks for this OP. It infuriated me, why the hell do I care about a fellow Vic club?
Go Giants BUT I have learnt this year there are still people out there who do go for other Vic clubs. I used to think it wasn’t a thing but I’ve come across some this year.
It’s bizarre, I know the non Vics will generally support other non Vic clubs but really most Victorians are not interested supporting another Vic club.

I was dreading a tigers v pies GF. Now I’m safe to leave the house again ;)

Every year they come up with this garbage. Does any Victorian actually care these days if the flag is won by a non-Victorian team? If anything it’s probably better when a non Victorian team wins it. Don’t have to hear about it nearly as much.

They’re so out of touch.

Doubt you’d find many Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood fans cheering on Richmond on Saturday.

It was better in last years herald sun when there was a front page article with a headline saying something like ‘Keep the cup in Victoria’. It also featured the captains of all Victorian clubs, of which only Collingwood, Melbourne, Richmond, Geelong and Hawthorn were participating in the finals!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back