Herald-Sun: "Rampant Tigers carry hopes of state in Grand Final"

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think state identity is still pretty important. We're a federal system, so states are pretty autonomous, and remember we were separate colonies that came together to federate. NSW, VIC, QLD, SA, WA were basically separate countries.

In WA it's more a 'west vs the rest' or the west and the eastern states. When the Eagles entered and won their first GF in 92 they were seen as the WA state side in the VFL basically (and the nascent AFL). Taking the club from Victoria to WA was akin to us pinching the America's Cup before that.

To add to this.. I think the rivalry with Sydney/Melbourne revolves around their similarities and size. Both cities want to brag about being the biggest and the best. And the AFL Vs NRL battle is real too. Sydney just want to take stuff from Melbourne, like The Tennis, Grand Prix, etc.. they are always trying to poach events, but can't. They see winning the AFL Premiership as some sort of victory, but Melbournians don't really care. We just laugh when the Storm keeps kicking their ass in the NRL, and watch them cry when their precious NRL Premiership comes down to a city that nobody gives a hoot about their sport lol.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
To add to this.. I think the rivalry with Sydney/Melbourne revolves around their similarities and size. Both cities want to brag about being the biggest and the best. And the AFL Vs NRL battle is real too. Sydney just want to take stuff from Melbourne, like The Tennis, Grand Prix, etc.. they are always trying to poach events, but can't. They see winning the AFL Premiership as some sort of victory, but Melbournians don't really care. We just laugh when the Storm keeps kicking their ass in the NRL, and watch them cry when their precious NRL Premiership comes down to a city that nobody gives a hoot about their sport lol.

Yeah kinda interesting how the Storm have had so much success in the NRL, and the Swans and lately Giants in the AFL. Swans have a lot more casual fans in Sydney than Storm in Melbourne.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Nobody forgets the losers of a prelim. Literally no one. Semis and Eliminations, unless memorable, sure. But they dont really matter. Prelims and Grannys are almost always remembered.

Observe. Who can tell me: what year and who they were playing and the result...

View attachment 751026
WB v Adelaide PF in 97. Adelaide won by 2 points.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Feel free to support Melbourne if we ever make one. We will need all the support we can get, mind you, by the time we make a GF global warming would’ve wiped out the snow fields so no excuses.

I did last year...until you met us, of course. Hope they can break the 55 year and counting drought. The Beatles came downunder in 1964 for goodness sake.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Do Sydney and Melbourne have a rivalry? Outside the w***er arts world I mean.

Melburnians have no real reason to add extras to their Australian identity. Imagine Sydney is basically the same. 'Grrrr my state!' plays in places that aren't lodestones.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Don’t hold your breath. Although I do have a strange feeling things might turn next year.

Unfortunately didn't see any positive signs this year. Were expecting them to find some of their 2018 form, but no, were crap all year. I dunno, I like Goodwin but maybe hard questions should be asked and decisions made.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
I don't know why the media persists with this rubbish. Year after year, we hear "Insert Victorian team" carry states hopes.

Anyone who understands tribal footy culture going back 100 years, knows that we as Victorians hate the other Victorian clubs. It's the same in the EPL and any tribal localised sporting league. Richmond do not carry the hopes of Victoria, nor should they. They carry the hopes of their own fans. You'd think the Herald-Sun would be beyond this rubbish, as this is now the 8th consecutive year a Victorian club has met a non-Victorian club. I expected this sort of crap in the early 90's when the national comp was just fledging, but not in 2019.
News Limited. Enough said.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Would’ve been amazing, but it certainly cemented the Crows into history with not only one but two consecutive flags. Huge for South Australia.

Yep, they did it the hard way. Great for Blighty too. I feel that was when the comp became really national (though some might argue it still isn't).

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yep, they did it the hard way. Great for Blighty too. I feel that was when the comp became really national (though some might argue it still isn't).
When West Coast beat Geelong that was impressive. In 1992. The Eagles were a serious side in the nineties. Should’ve got one more flag as they were that good. Prior to 97 we’d already seen WC play in 3 Grand Finals.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
When West Coast beat Geelong that was impressive. In 1992. The Eagles were a serious side in the nineties. Should’ve got one more flag as they were that good. Prior to 97 we’d already seen WC play in 3 Grand Finals.

Yeah we did well to star in our first GF in our fifth season. We were a powerhouse in the early 90s, could've had a third. Adelaide started quickly too, got close in 93, their third season. Port also peaked early, topping the ladder in 01, their 5th season, and getting a flag in 2004. Brisbane and Fitzroy of course were cellar dwellers in most of the 90s, but the Lions threepeat has overshadowed that. Swans weren't very good until their first gf appearance, but still took 23 years to win it since South relocated. Dockers 24 years in and no flag in sight.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah we did well to star in our first GF in our fifth season. We were a powerhouse in the early 90s, could've had a third. Adelaide started quickly too, got close in 93, their third season. Port also peaked early, topping the ladder in 91, their 5th season, and getting a flag in 2004. Dockers 24 years in and no flag in sight.
Culture of Fremantle compared to WC is vastly inferior though. Eagles, Crows and Power were set up incredibly well.

Back