Herald-Sun: "Rampant Tigers carry hopes of state in Grand Final"

Remove this Banner Ad

Its a Vic paper. They sell to vic people.

Im fine with them not having Eagles pics on there.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah in the end who reads the paper? Victorian readers. And they want more info (naturally) on the Victorian sides they tend to follow.

Culture of Fremantle compared to WC is vastly inferior though.

Careful saying that around here lol.

Can only improve next year. Goodwin? Meh.....50/50
I mean technically there’s a little further backwards to go...
I do think you’ll bounce back up the ladder next year though. Something was seriously wrong this year but there’s too much talent on that list to be bottom 4 twice in a row. Interesting to see what sort of noise is around the club through pre season.

I mean technically there’s a little further backwards to go...
I do think you’ll bounce back up the ladder next year though. Something was seriously wrong this year but there’s too much talent on that list to be bottom 4 twice in a row. Interesting to see what sort of noise is around the club through pre season.
Goodwin won’t survive beyond round 10 if we are 4/6. But then, should he? How long did it take Hardwick to get it right? It’s a funny one you know. You can kind of tell though if you’ve ‘lost the players’.

They were correct. The Rampant Glenelg Tigers carried the hopes of the state in beating the Port Power reserves in the South Australian Granny

Goodwin won’t survive beyond round 10 if we are 4/6. But then, should he? How long did it take Hardwick to get it right? It’s a funny one you know. You can kind of tell though if you’ve ‘lost the players’.
It will be a point of interest next year. It took a long time for Dimma to work it out but I’m not sure Goodwin has the same time to prove it. He had a couple more years when the list just wasn’t ready anyway where he was able develop himself a bit too. Unfortunately Goodwin doesn’t have that luxury as the list is at the very least close to being good enough to go all the way, and any season without a flag is to some extent a missed opportunity. There’d be some sense of urgency in club management to make the most of this, so they need to make sure Goodwin is the right coach. Another poor start will have alarm bells ringing for them. I still think Hardwick only really survived 2016 due to having multiple years to run on his contract, which is a big sliding doors moment, but that’s another story. Your last point about losing the players is important. Hardwick never lost the players, even though we weren’t playing well. That’s something for those closer to Melbourne to decide about Goodwin.
It’s a telling pre season. Does the club go down the same path as they have multiple times, back to oblivion, or does it stand up and create a new era of the Melbourne Football Club?

Culture of Fremantle compared to WC is vastly inferior though. Eagles, Crows and Power were set up incredibly well.

The Eagles were driven to be successful despite the restrictions placed on them from the VFL

Freo from day 1 were determined to be the opposite of the Eagles...explains a lot

It’s seems like it’s generally older people that seem to go for the Vic teams against interstate ones - my grandma for instance.
Although I kinda wanted Collingwood to win this year, that was a once off - the only team I wouldn’t mind see lifting the cup from vic is the saints, and maaaaybe the Dees.

It will be a point of interest next year. It took a long time for Dimma to work it out but I’m not sure Goodwin has the same time to prove it. He had a couple more years when the list just wasn’t ready anyway where he was able develop himself a bit too. Unfortunately Goodwin doesn’t have that luxury as the list is at the very least close to being good enough to go all the way, and any season without a flag is to some extent a missed opportunity. There’d be some sense of urgency in club management to make the most of this, so they need to make sure Goodwin is the right coach. Another poor start will have alarm bells ringing for them. I still think Hardwick only really survived 2016 due to having multiple years to run on his contract, which is a big sliding doors moment, but that’s another story. Your last point about losing the players is important. Hardwick never lost the players, even though we weren’t playing well. That’s something for those closer to Melbourne to decide about Goodwin.
It’s a telling pre season. Does the club go down the same path as they have multiple times, back to oblivion, or does it stand up and create a new era of the Melbourne Football Club?

I think Dimma has always been a good coach - the players have always seemed to love him - obviously I haven’t closely followed the tigers but I think he’s had a relatively young group for most of his coaching tenure, and it’s a mixture of the tigers recruiters nabbing some stars and Martin, Rance, Grimes, Houli etc all reaching their peak at the same time. Their core always had a lot of potential - guys like Prestia, Caddy and Rioli filled in the gaps. (Caddy being another one that peaked at Richmond, probably one of the best ever journeyman players)

Anyway, no shade, but I hate Richmond. Like Dimma tho.

The SANFL has a Tigers too? Guess Claremont, Glenelg and Richmond have something in common.
They do and the SANFL Tigers had a great win over Port whose sooking is gold class.

Glenelg and Richmond have black and gold, doesn't Claremont have dark blue and gold as their colours?

To add to this.. I think the rivalry with Sydney/Melbourne revolves around their similarities and size. Both cities want to brag about being the biggest and the best. And the AFL Vs NRL battle is real too. Sydney just want to take stuff from Melbourne, like The Tennis, Grand Prix, etc.. they are always trying to poach events, but can't. They see winning the AFL Premiership as some sort of victory, but Melbournians don't really care. We just laugh when the Storm keeps kicking their ass in the NRL, and watch them cry when their precious NRL Premiership comes down to a city that nobody gives a hoot about their sport lol.

QLD V NSW State of Origin is a big thing too.

It's also the QLD Storm btw;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They do and the SANFL Tigers had a great win over Port whose sooking is gold class.

Glenelg and Richmond have black and gold, doesn't Claremont have dark blue and gold as their colours?

excuse me mate, you need to get your facts right

Richmond is yellow and black
Glenelg is gold and black
Claremont is navy blue and gold

OP is right. Terrible judgment by the little paper.

If my mob wasn’t in it, I’d generally support any interstate club against a Vic team, unless it was Melbourne, given the Demons’ drought.

But if Carlton was playing, I’d support any team, including a Guantanamo 22, against that filth.

What a rag publication. I will firmly be cheering on GWS not because I am anti Victorian but because the over abundance of unnecessary arrogance from Richmond flogs in comparison to their relatively meager sliver of recent success is completely over the top.

DYwcpi0W0AAJ6Ct.jpg

It gets frequently reposted on the Eagles board for obvious reasons.
A Victorian paper with a Victorian agenda? I’m shocked.

I’m from New South Wales so I don’t have any Victorian bias, but I don’t know why people are surprised the Herald Sun caters to their Victorian readership.

I don't know why the media persists with this rubbish. Year after year, we hear "Insert Victorian team" carry states hopes.

Anyone who understands tribal footy culture going back 100 years, knows that we as Victorians hate the other Victorian clubs. It's the same in the EPL and any tribal localised sporting league. Richmond do not carry the hopes of Victoria, nor should they. They carry the hopes of their own fans. You'd think the Herald-Sun would be beyond this rubbish, as this is now the 8th consecutive year a Victorian club has met a non-Victorian club. I expected this sort of crap in the early 90's when the national comp was just fledging, but not in 2019.
It’s ok we will win for everyone who believes in good over evil, we will win for not just the hopes of Victorians but for all the people of Australia. It is a burden we will carry into Saturday’s game and make you all proud!

For most in WA we support WC or Freo simply because of geography, like the vast majority of sports fans around the world. Most of us didn't really 'choose' to follow the Eagles or Dockers, or inherited it, it's part of where we come from, part of state/,city identity. Wearing my Eagles gear hete in Melbourne seems as a much an indicator of me being a West Australian as an Eagles supporter, since most of us are. The fact Melbourne has so many teams in a supposedly national league is unusual, although the NRL is similar, and London has a few clubs in the EPL. Owe it to the fact the AFL wasn't created from the ground up as a national league, but stemmed from what was basically a metropolitan league.
And they have my support if they are playing the Blue team from Merseyside or the Red Flogs uo the East Lancs Road!

I just hate GWS. Nothing to do with them being interstate. In my opinion they're manufactured fakery. They've received way too many concessions and help and draft picks and money from the AFL, and their supporters have literally only been around for a few years so there'll be no heartache for any one if they lose.

Toby Greene is a dirty coward who makes my skin crawl.

So yeah. Go Tiges (From a Carlton fan)
This calls for tar and feathers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back