Analysis Herald Sun ranks the top 20 Collingwood players of the modern era

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't argue on the leadership front, you're right. I'm basing my view only on his ability as a player. No disrespect intended to Maxwell, he is a Collingwood man and a premiership captain.

But does a side that contains Bucks, Rowdy, Shaw, Burns and Pendles lack leadership to such an extent to merit Maxy's inclusion for his leadership?

From 1987 being the time line it’s a fun list.
Firstly, listing the absolute uber elite superstars. Then the next obvious ones, then make decisions with the next lot.
To me there are 3 absolute stand outs, 6 musts then another 5 pretty had to be in, and then another 6.

1. Nathan Buckley sits a top the pile. To me almost, no competitor (there is one or two)
  2. Peter Daicos such an elite player, so skilled, and the GREATEST EVER miracle goal kicker
  3. Scott Pendlebury completes the troika, the big three. Elite and generational space lord
  4. Gavin Brown becomes the leader of the next group of players. Strong, quiet, elite
  5. Dane Swan Waddle but so good (after slow start) Built on a incredible run run run game
  6. Brodie Grundy all still before him, generational, set to be a long term elite super star
  7. Tony Shaw a real leader, so consisten, knocked up getting the ball and great leader
  8. James Clement general down back, so consistent, so good and reliable
  9. Darren Millane played 5 seasons in the time line, bull, leader, mythical
  10. Steele Sidebottom strangest named player, elite running game, barometer, consistent.
  11. Scott Burns outstanding defender, leader by example
  12. Travis Cloke best contested mark in the time frame, if kicked straighter would be top 10
  13. Mick McGuane amazing player, football smarts on elite levels
  14. Alan Didak the lesser Daicos type, kicked many great goals, great shimmy, top shelf
  15. David Cloke tail end by then, from 1987, but he was so good for so long. Under appreciated
  16. Graham Wright amazing wing player, once he arrived in that spot, made it his own
  17. Jordan De Goey contentious at this stage but he’s already a better player than most
  18. Adam Treloar just so good and consistent, again better than say Licuria, Maxwell etc
  19. Jamie Elliott terrific small forward, without injury he’d be right up there
  20. Shane Morwood under appreciated, so cool and made great decisions

the unlucky group or those better known who miss out:

Paul Licuria, Paul Williams, Rocca S, Rocca A, Leon Davis, Chris Tarrant, Heath Shaw, Tony Francis, Gavin Crisisca, Dayne Beams, Damien Monkhorst, Tom Wilson.

Maybe there’s a glaring miss somewhere, but a nice fun time thinking about it.
Any chance Daisy makes the grade on his time at Collingwood, I know he flogged it up at Carlton

But does a side that contains Bucks, Rowdy, Shaw, Burns and Pendles lack leadership to such an extent to merit Maxy's inclusion for his leadership?
Maxwell was an awesome leader and it's what you bring, without his leadership I don't think we win 2010, that's enough for me.

Wrighty definitely in but it'd be at the expense of Maxy for mine.
I can understand that. Wright had a great career but did miss a lot due to injury. He could have been even higher on that list with a better injury run.

There are no key defenders or half backs in that list. That seems biased to me. I reckon Reid, Kelly, Prrsti and even Tarrant deserve to be in that conversation. Johnson and Crisp as half backs. It'd be interesting to do it by position.
Any chance Daisy makes the grade on his time at Collingwood, I know he flogged it up at Carlton
I probably should think about him more.
was very very good at his best, that’s true.
Should at least be in my unlucky to miss players.

...agree with this. One of the first intercept marking defenders than could also run out of defence and was a long raking kick. I'd put him in ahead of Gav Crosisca.
Yes.

Well said.

Maxwell was an awesome leader and it's what you bring, without his leadership I don't think we win 2010, that's enough for me.

Understand the argument but you could say the same about Jolly and his ruckwork. Probably a couple of others as well. But that in and of itself doesn't elevate him/them into our greatest 20 players since 1987.

There are no key defenders or half backs in that list. That seems biased to me. I reckon Reid, Kelly, Prrsti and even Tarrant deserve to be in that conversation. Johnson and Crisp as half backs. It'd be interesting to do it by position.

Best.
FB:
BP:
HB:
CHB:
C:
W:
R:
CHF:
HF:
FP:
FF:
Adding Ruck Rover and Rover, Taking up your challenge:

Best.

FB: Gary Pert was excellent for his time with us
BP: James Clement
HB: Michael McGuane
CHB: Ben Reid (predict Darcy will eclipse him)
C: Nathan Buckley
W: Gavin Brown
R: Brodie Grundy
CHF: Travis Cloke
HF: Darren Millane
FP: Alan Didak
FF: Peter Daicos (just was though not a true KPP but superior elite talent)
RR: Scott Pendlebury
Rv: Dane Swan

Gonna enter an opinion and my list probably won't be loved by many but I see footballers differently I spose.

[TD valign="top"] Theirs [/TD][TD valign="top"] Mine [/TD][TD valign="top"] Most INFLUENTIAL [/TD]

[TD valign="top"]1. Nathan Buckley[/TD][TD valign="top"]1. Daicos[/TD][TD valign="top"]1. Daicos[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2. Scott Pendlebury[/TD][TD valign="top"]2. Buckley[/TD][TD valign="top"]2. Buckley[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]3. Peter Daicos[/TD][TD valign="top"]3. Brown[/TD][TD valign="top"]3. Pendlebury[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]4. Dane Swan[/TD][TD valign="top"]4. Pendlebury[/TD][TD valign="top"]4. McGuane[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]5. Gavin Brown[/TD][TD valign="top"]5. Swan[/TD][TD valign="top"]5. H. Shaw[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]6. Tony Shaw[/TD][TD valign="top"]6. McGuane[/TD][TD valign="top"]6. Ball[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]7. Darren Millane[/TD][TD valign="top"]7. Millane[/TD][TD valign="top"]7. Jolly[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]8. Mick McGuane[/TD][TD valign="top"]8. H. Shaw[/TD][TD valign="top"]8. Clement[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]9. Steele Sidebottom[/TD][TD valign="top"]9. Sidebottom[/TD][TD valign="top"]9. Thomas[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]10. Brodie Grundy[/TD][TD valign="top"]10. Thomas[/TD][TD valign="top"]10. Davis[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]11. James Clement[/TD][TD valign="top"]11. Clement[/TD][TD valign="top"]11. Didak[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]12. Paul Licuria[/TD][TD valign="top"]12. Grundy[/TD][TD valign="top"]12. G. Brown[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]13. Scott Burns[/TD][TD valign="top"]13. Cloke[/TD][TD valign="top"]13. L. Brown[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]14. Travis Cloke[/TD][TD valign="top"]14. Williams[/TD][TD valign="top"]14. S. Rocca[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]15. Anthony Rocca[/TD][TD valign="top"]15. Didak[/TD][TD valign="top"]15. Swan[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]16. Sav Rocca[/TD][TD valign="top"]16. Crosisca[/TD][TD valign="top"]16. Beams[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]17. Alan Didak[/TD][TD valign="top"]17. A. Rocca[/TD][TD valign="top"]17. DeGoey[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]18. Gavin Crosisca[/TD][TD valign="top"]18. Burns[/TD][TD valign="top"]18. Grundy[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]19. Heath Shaw[/TD][TD valign="top"]19. Beams[/TD][TD valign="top"]19. Williams[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]20. Nick Maxwell[/TD][TD valign="top"]20. A. Shaw[/TD][TD valign="top"]20. Stephenson[/TD]

Let the fun begin!

I like it particularly the Most Influential. Ultimately premierships are all that counts and so the likes of Daicos, Pendlebury, McGuane, Ball, Jolly, Thomas (in particular), Didak, G & L Brown (what a pick) and Swan are locks.

In time, assuming the AFL has a future, Grundy may end up being No 1 but a flag would help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never mind that, what about The Wee Man? Pound for pound the best of all time.
Do you mean Mr Blair?

Tony Shaw pound for pound would pound him, so to speak...

All good Jmac stay safe

Maxwell is in my top 20 easily. Talent wise clearly no, but impact easily yes. Players like Didak were great on their day but week in week out Maxy just had an impact even if it was just a spoil or smother. Watch the last quarter of the drawn GF to see Maxy at his very best. He doesn’t get the accolades he deserves.

At the end of the day it comes down to the footballers your admire most, the flashy/skilful players, or the grunts. I prefer a grunt who you know will turn up every week. Gavin Brown is my favourite all time pie cause he just attacked everything and never gave an inch.

Maxwell had many people questioning whether he should even be in the side most years... he had a couple very strong seasons around the flag year but overall no.

How can you call him most consistently influential?

You need to have weightings to decide it properly per player imo.

At what stage do you rate talent, longevity, hardness/attack, regular impact, leadership, skills, dominant in role, ability to consistantly perform role, versatility, 1% acts/tackling etc.

You could do them for each player you think is top 30, and give ratings to each off those criteria with scores out of 10. See what top 20 off points it spits out.

I'm betting as long as your honest there would be a different top 20 then many named.

From 1987 being the time line it’s a fun list.
Firstly, listing the absolute uber elite superstars. Then the next obvious ones, then make decisions with the next lot.
To me there are 3 absolute stand outs, 6 musts then another 5 pretty had to be in, and then another 6.

1. Nathan Buckley sits a top the pile. To me almost, no competitor (there is one or two)
  2. Peter Daicos such an elite player, so skilled, and the GREATEST EVER miracle goal kicker
  3. Scott Pendlebury completes the troika, the big three. Elite and generational space lord
  4. Gavin Brown becomes the leader of the next group of players. Strong, quiet, elite
  5. Dane Swan Waddle but so good (after slow start) Built on a incredible run run run game
  6. Brodie Grundy all still before him, generational, set to be a long term elite super star
  7. Tony Shaw a real leader, so consisten, knocked up getting the ball and great leader
  8. James Clement general down back, so consistent, so good and reliable
  9. Darren Millane played 5 seasons in the time line, bull, leader, mythical
  10. Steele Sidebottom strangest named player, elite running game, barometer, consistent.
  11. Scott Burns outstanding defender, leader by example
  12. Travis Cloke best contested mark in the time frame, if kicked straighter would be top 10
  13. Mick McGuane amazing player, football smarts on elite levels
  14. Alan Didak the lesser Daicos type, kicked many great goals, great shimmy, top shelf
  15. David Cloke tail end by then, from 1987, but he was so good for so long. Under appreciated
  16. Graham Wright amazing wing player, once he arrived in that spot, made it his own
  17. Jordan De Goey contentious at this stage but he’s already a better player than most
  18. Adam Treloar just so good and consistent, again better than say Licuria, Maxwell etc
  19. Jamie Elliott terrific small forward, without injury he’d be right up there
  20. Shane Morwood under appreciated, so cool and made great decisions

the unlucky group or those better known who miss out:

Paul Licuria, Paul Williams, Rocca S, Rocca A, Leon Davis, Chris Tarrant, Heath Shaw, Tony Francis, Gavin Crisisca, Dayne Beams, Damien Monkhorst, Tom Wilson.

Maybe there’s a glaring miss somewhere, but a nice fun time thinking about it.
I generally like this list and like the introduction of Morwood but

Sav Rocca was a great player and ranks ahead of Billy Elliott by a long, long way. 3.3 goals a game while at Collingwood and 93 in a single season. A booming long and straight kick. Billy doesn't have one season which compares anywhere near that record.

I agree with others who suggest Tony Shaw is too high. The guy was an honest toiler and effective on-field leader through example but could barely kick 35m on his preferred foot and couldn't kick with his right foot at all.

Leon Davis had 2 All Australian seasons - better than JDG who had not made the squad to this point of his career. Better than Treloar too.

Still not convinced about David Cloke's merits and how high he ranks either. Paul Williams was a brilliant on-baller and I'd have him ahead of David Cloke. Did some of his best work at Sydney (given an unfortunate falling out with Bucks) with 2 x B&F and an All Australian there.

That question is rhetorical isn't it? :think::think:

Leon Davis, Paul Williams and Tony Francis in, Maxy, Licuria out. I'm too much of a coward to kick any of the remaining ones out, so let's just go with a top 21.

Leon Davis is an interesting player to consider. Played over 200 games mostly as a small forward. Averaged just over a goal per game, sublime 2011 season off half back.

Misses out for mine as he didn’t quite realise his potential. Should not have been dropped for 2010 though, sorry Goldsack.

Adding Ruck Rover and Rover, Taking up your challenge:

Best.

FB: Gary Pert was excellent for his time with us

On this one I disagree. Pert was an excellent full back who could destroy elite full forwards......when he played for Fitzroy. The Fitzroy version of Gary Pert made Paul Roos career, allowing him to play loose man in an era of man on man footy. Fitzroy Gary Pert walks into the Collingwood best 22 of my lifetime. Unfortunately that version of Gary Pert never played for Collingwood.

The one we got, was after an ACL, where he lost a lot of pace and mobility and was never the same player. Frankly, for us, he was pretty slow. Still a wily veteran, with excellent leadership, good skills, and at the body on body stuff. But against any forward with pace and agility he was exposed.

Id say he was no better than serviceable for us

I agree with another poster-Paul Williams is a vastly underrated player. He had it all. Pace, skill, courage-he was a joy to watch in full flight.
Never understood why we let him go..

I know he had a fallout with Buckley

Was gutted

What did we get back ?

Licuria??

If so was a risk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back