Herald Sun Superfooty is a f*****g disgrace

Remove this Banner Ad

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Guys, this tabloid newspaper has reached a new low today with its reporting on GWS.

This trashy rag devoted an entire article on us (haves) vs Western Bulldogs (have nots).

It was a disgraceful one sided deliberately inflaming piece of s**t story designed to create more volitility towards our team.

At no stage did it address the fact that all concessions given to GWS were ticked off by every club and that every club was happy to exploit the Giants in the early years.

The most humorous paragraph in the article of unadulterated drivel read:

"This is not a dig at the Giants, for starting a club from scratch in a league and soccer hotbed demands sizeable ammunition, but this is very much a case of the haves versus the have-nots".

The article then went to great pains to articulate any concessions the club has received over the poor unfortunate Bulldogs.

Pity they couldn't focus on Free Agency or the wealthy AFL clubs that have pillaged the smaller entities.

Pity they couldn't focus on the gross mismanagement at the Western Bulldogs where they underpaid their stars and let them go for unders??

It is so fricken sickening the one way reporting against our club.

Oh well, at first they wanted us kicked out because we were hopeless, now they think the world is ending because we are too good...either way they can suck it up and suffer in their jocks.

:rolleyes:Not surprising to me a Melbourne paper favours the Melbourne team.
After next week they'll either favour Geelong or more likely suddenly remember the South Melbourne Swans live on. They might have to be careful about with reporters hanging around their watering holes if that happens.

Yep. Every time you read "This is not a dig at...." You know it's exactly a dig at....
Yep,
Im not racist ...but
Im not sexist....but
Im not knocking the Giants ....but
Im actually loving this and everything thats posted on Bay13.
Hope everybody is nice to our guests from footscray this week though,As a club we need to always make people welcome at our home.Looking forward to a great game and no crowd violence or mud slinging.

Newspapers sell on tension, scandal and hyperbole. Unsurprising that they'd support a local and traditional club against an interstate expansion team, nor that the 'analysis' would be biased to show the Melbourne club in the best light and the NSW club in the worst - they'll sell their newspapers in Victoria not NSW. Is it frustrating - of course. But it's the AFL's agenda to support expansion, not the Hun's.

I actually have a soft spot for some of the underperforming Melbourne clubs such as the Bulldogs and Saints, so can understand why in their environment they would do so. All we can do as a club is develop as well as we can and ignore the external. If we win, we will be treated as the AFL-created monster who 'shot Bambi'. If we lose, we'll have underperformed. We know the drill - there's no way that there will be a positive message after this game or this season from the Hun. If the Hun was a decent newspaper, they would have focussed on generational change - this GF will be a dynamic young team against a recent powerhouse team. They'll probably do that story pre-GF though because the 'haves vs have-nots' is an easy and cheap headline.

Yep,
Im not racist ...but
Im not sexist....but
Hope everybody is nice to our guests from footscray this week though,As a club we need to always make people welcome at our home.Looking forward to a great game and no crowd violence or mud slinging.
That's something I've never seen any hint of. It's all families. I have had a bèer spilt on my head because my seat backs onto the concourse, but it was an accident and a Carlton supporter.
Hope it continues as the club grows

Yep,
Im not racist ...but
Im not sexist....but

But they must wear shoes!

I don't know what they'll do if it's a Swans v GWS GF.

If they're like the Tele, they need a Melbourne side or, maybe, Geelong, to be there. But the interest in a GF where most people have no idea about who is playing, will be low. It's also not as if there's going to be a huge Brownlow shock either.

Don't buy this have v have nots argument. Not one bit.

Look at it objectively. You get three resources to build a premiership list - your existing list, draft picks and free agents, which are interchangeable via trades. We didn't have a list to start with, which is your biggest resource. And we were clearly not a FA destination at the time. So we were given draft picks to address our own have nots at the time. Whether the quantum of this was fair, I'm not sure, but when you consider what we had at the time (ie nothing), it's amount/position of the selections does not seem that bad.

The way I see it, a North for example, should right now trade away every player on their list over the age of 20, accept the multitude of 100+ point thrashing that would inevitably follow, and rebuild from the bottom up. But would it be palatable to a Melbourne club to go 3-41 in two seasons and accept losses like ours to Hawthorn by 162 points?

We had dark times on the field as a club. People forget that pretty quickly

I think we've always been in a no-win situation when it comes to Vic media and hardcore idiotic and blind Victorian fans.

We were given draft concessions. How else were we going to get a squad? Players from other clubs? But those clubs would want something in return if the players are still under their banner. We were given draft concessions with the expectation that we could trade them away to build a list with players acquired from other clubs... the other clubs apparently did not comply as no real deals were struck and thus, we were left with all the draft picks. The other clubs won't trade for them so we may as well use them. Purely due to numbers, we cop criticism of how many we have and all this talent. Any other club takes a talented player in the draft, you don't see an uproar that it was unfair that said club got said player.

So we were stuck starting with a list far younger than anyone would have thought we should have started with. This list has not only got older, more experiences, more skillful but has most definitely changed over time and we have traded out talented young players to other teams (Best example IMO is Taylor Adams because we got an experienced player in return, the exact thing we should have, and probably tried out best, got in return to build our squad).

We traded out some of these kids to teams for draft picks. If that's all you get offered, sometimes you just take it. You can't really blame us for Melbourne offering pick 2 for Dom Tyson. Can you blame Melbourne for not offering up an experienced player? I don't think so. GWS has made the deals it has had to, with that it has been given AND had to tolerate the strongholds of opposition clubs at the trade table.

A skillful, successful side in Western Sydney will grow the game. It will draw in people who are not current AFL supporters. I'd rather hear the term "neutrals" be those without a club allegiance rather than for people who don't support the teams involved. As a club, we have been set up to try and capture the minds of the people of Sydney as an addition to all the work the Swans have done. The AFL wants a foothold in Sydney and how can you blame them? Sydney is the biggest city in the country. Think of the financial benefits that could come, the money that can go in to help the league, help those struggling clubs regardless of which state they come from. At a time when clubs in Sydney have been struggling in NRL, the Giants coming to age years before expected could not have happened at a better time for the AFL.

But back to my ranting over the "handed" rubbish... I try to think of us like a market stall that has a certain amount of resources available for us to use. We have them out and ready for the other clubs passing by to take a look and see what they will offer. Do you blame a salesman if the customer doesn't want to buy? We are a club built on the picks and players other clubs were not willing to make a deal for, but it's our fault that we have success? It's our fault that we didn't gift everything we have to the other clubs who have a proud tradition and other benefits that far outweigh us in many ways.

It's GWS vs the rest of the AFL world. We've been belittled, we've been lambasted and it's about time we stand up for ourselves as a club on the field and take to levels of success in ways that the other clubs can't prevent us of doing. We need wins here more than any other team in the competition. We need to make a big, big sound in Sydney to claim it. We need to pull off the impossible to truly cement ourselves as a club and be rid of the ridiculous jokes about small fanbases and lack of membership. We are a bigger club than a lot of Vic fans are willing to admit, it's about time we showed them all up.

rant over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you boys think you had it rough? you shoulda seen the Herald Sun on the Thursday before last years GF. Dropped all the Daniel Chick news, Cuzzy in trouble, our 06 premiership being tainted. Funny how they waited till the last thursday of the season to do it

I think we've always been in a no-win situation when it comes to Vic media and hardcore idiotic and blind Victorian fans.

We were given draft concessions. How else were we going to get a squad? Players from other clubs? But those clubs would want something in return if the players are still under their banner. We were given draft concessions with the expectation that we could trade them away to build a list with players acquired from other clubs... the other clubs apparently did not comply as no real deals were struck and thus, we were left with all the draft picks. The other clubs won't trade for them so we may as well use them. Purely due to numbers, we cop criticism of how many we have and all this talent. Any other club takes a talented player in the draft, you don't see an uproar that it was unfair that said club got said player.

So we were stuck starting with a list far younger than anyone would have thought we should have started with. This list has not only got older, more experiences, more skillful but has most definitely changed over time and we have traded out talented young players to other teams (Best example IMO is Taylor Adams because we got an experienced player in return, the exact thing we should have, and probably tried out best, got in return to build our squad).

We traded out some of these kids to teams for draft picks. If that's all you get offered, sometimes you just take it. You can't really blame us for Melbourne offering pick 2 for Dom Tyson. Can you blame Melbourne for not offering up an experienced player? I don't think so. GWS has made the deals it has had to, with that it has been given AND had to tolerate the strongholds of opposition clubs at the trade table.

A skillful, successful side in Western Sydney will grow the game. It will draw in people who are not current AFL supporters. I'd rather hear the term "neutrals" be those without a club allegiance rather than for people who don't support the teams involved. As a club, we have been set up to try and capture the minds of the people of Sydney as an addition to all the work the Swans have done. The AFL wants a foothold in Sydney and how can you blame them? Sydney is the biggest city in the country. Think of the financial benefits that could come, the money that can go in to help the league, help those struggling clubs regardless of which state they come from. At a time when clubs in Sydney have been struggling in NRL, the Giants coming to age years before expected could not have happened at a better time for the AFL.

But back to my ranting over the "handed" rubbish... I try to think of us like a market stall that has a certain amount of resources available for us to use. We have them out and ready for the other clubs passing by to take a look and see what they will offer. Do you blame a salesman if the customer doesn't want to buy? We are a club built on the picks and players other clubs were not willing to make a deal for, but it's our fault that we have success? It's our fault that we didn't gift everything we have to the other clubs who have a proud tradition and other benefits that far outweigh us in many ways.

It's GWS vs the rest of the AFL world. We've been belittled, we've been lambasted and it's about time we stand up for ourselves as a club on the field and take to levels of success in ways that the other clubs can't prevent us of doing. We need wins here more than any other team in the competition. We need to make a big, big sound in Sydney to claim it. We need to pull off the impossible to truly cement ourselves as a club and be rid of the ridiculous jokes about small fanbases and lack of membership. We are a bigger club than a lot of Vic fans are willing to admit, it's about time we showed them all up.

rant over.

Facts? Reason? Logic? History? Reality?

On Big Footy? Or with the Melbin Meeja?

You're bringing a tiny little pocket knife to an all out Bikie Gang War my friend.

you boys think you had it rough? you shoulda seen the Herald Sun on the Thursday before last years GF. Dropped all the Daniel Chick news, Cuzzy in trouble, our 06 premiership being tainted. Funny how they waited till the last thursday of the season to do it
Oh, we've had that with the Whitfield, Gubby and Lambo bit. You guys have more history to trawl over, but for such a young club like ours, they are making sure we get asmuch mud and s**t as they can throw. Still, it is par for the course. Nothing you can do about it while dropkicks buy the papers...

Don't think that we believe we're the only ones who cop it, but naturally our focus is on our club. Don't want to play any 'woe is me' card - just frustrating that what could be promoted as a fantastic advertisement for dynamic, young, running footy (AFL!) gets sucked into a baser discussion. Unfortunately, that's the media!

Last edited:

rant over.

Even Gerard Whately who is normally fairly balanced was having a good laugh at our members today on Offsiders and whether they actually existed with his much more masculine colleague Caroline Wilson.

That show should be renamed "The Nerd, Bush Pig, and Geek Assembly" but they're cracking jokes??

Even Gerard Whately who is normally fairly balanced was having a good laugh at our members today on Offsiders and whether they actually existed with his much more masculine colleague Caroline Wilson.

That show should be renamed "The Nerd, Bush Pig, and Geek Assembly" but they're cracking jokes??

Not a fan of the personal abuse there - but even Kelli Underwood, who is normally pretty good was "half their members are in Canberra" WRONG

but the Caroline Wilson "they have 15,000 supporters - allegedly" was just a disgrace. Underwood had to correct her with "members" because not every supporter is a member.

Not a fan of the personal abuse there - but even Kelli Underwood, who is normally pretty good was "half their members are in Canberra" WRONG

but the Caroline Wilson "they have 15,000 supporters - allegedly" was just a disgrace. Underwood had to correct her with "members" because not every supporter is a member.

Zero respect for Wilson. She has proven again and again to be a liar and has been caught out so many times.

Most of the media are a disgrace, particularly Damian Barrett who for some reason has a personal vendetta against the club.

Matthew Lloyd who is gushing right now said the club was a mistake.

We haven't forgotten Lloydy.

If there's one thing I've learned about Melbourne, it's the "Chip on the shoulder" capital of Australia. (Now that's one "capital" they can rightfully claim).

It has more whingers per capita than any other city. They naturally have to build up the story to portray themselves as the long suffering victims. Would we really expect anything less from them?

Like true Sydney siders, we just say "Yeah, whatever" and get on with what we have to do. The bleating is never going to stop. Let them continue being the drama queens. That's something I've got to respect the swans fans for, how they've more or less just accepted it as a fact of their afl life.

And a special shout out to our Melbourne fans. Your support in an island of hostility is most appreciated.

If there's one thing I've learned about Melbourne, it's the "Chip on the shoulder" capital of Australia. (Now that's one "capital" they can rightfully claim).

It has more whingers per capita than any other city. They naturally have to build up the story to portray themselves as the long suffering victims. Would we really expect anything less from them?

Like true Sydney siders, we just say "Yeah, whatever" and get on with what we have to do. The bleating is never going to stop. Let them continue being the drama queens. That's something I've got to respect the swans fans for, how they've more or less just accepted it as a fact of their afl life.

And a special shout out to our Melbourne fans. Your support in an island of hostility is most appreciated.
Well we know we've got one passionate supporter down there

Haven't read the article, but it seems bizarre the Bulldogs are considered have-nots.

Numerous father son picks (Liberatore, Wallis, Hunter IIRC, maybe others?)

Early draft picks - Bontempelli, Stringer

Aggressive recruiting to take advantage of go home factor (and understanding of future free agency) with Boyd. Suckling too I suppose

Would have thought Bulldogs have had the benefit of AFL policies as much as anyone

I would pay the Crows as have-nots here...AFL has no interest in seeing Adelaide-based teams succeed, and free agency has not been kind. No father son picks. Etc.

but perhaps the AFL policies favouring big market teams like Bulldogs and Giants ahead of teams like Crows and Lions are a factor in why no 'small market' (SA/QLD) teams are in the prelim, and most of them aren't close

We will always be considered plastic, soulless and manufactured by the Vic media no matter how big we grow our membership base, how much we grow the game in non traditional footy areas or how passionate and rusted on our fans become.

They will just keep on telling themselves this in order to make themselves feel better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back