Here’s proof we absolutely do want to watch women’s sport

Remove this Banner Ad

That article is incredibly misleading.

On the final Saturday night of September women’s cricket hit a massive new milestone in Australia.

Broadcasting the first of three Twenty20 internationals between Australia and New Zealand, Channel Seven successfully reached a peak audience of 1.298 million people tuning into watch the game, a record for women’s cricket.

This was on immediately following the Grand Final coverage.

And in its second year, the AFLW pulled in some massive crowds in early 2018, with a record 41,975 people arriving to watch a game in Perth

This was also the first football event held at the new stadium in Perth.

I'm all for promoting women's sport; but this kind of reporting does no one any good.

It’s a bit like buying a car and the salesman shows you his excel spreadsheet with his numbers, anything can be fudged.
The real numbers are who attends. Ratings are out by up to 50%

That article is incredibly misleading.

This was on immediately following the Grand Final coverage.

This was also the first football event held at the new stadium in Perth.

I'm all for promoting women's sport; but this kind of reporting does no one any good.
Better timeslots and better venues result in more people watching. I agree, the article could/should have spelled it out more explicitly.

Better timeslots and better venues result in more people watching. I agree, the article could/should have spelled it out more explicitly.

It's just more of the same old misinformation; aside from that single game I'm fairly sure AFLW crowds were down across the whole season compared to the initial one, and can almost guarantee they'll go nowhere near that Perth figure at any game next year unless there's some kind of gimmick.

Last edited:
They want equality, start with trying to get equal ratings, cricket, football, any one will be proof.

AFLW has led to a huge growth in the number of women's teams all over Australia, including in non-footy states.

This is the more relevant factor to me; AFLW was always intended as a long-term proposition that would impact the grass roots participation level of things far beyond whatever the league would generate in terms of revenue.

This is the more relevant factor to me; AFLW was always intended as a long-term proposition that would impact the grass roots participation level of things far beyond whatever the league would generate in terms of revenue.

The revenue they are producing early years is not that bad actually, it's not as if they were struggling to get the AFL clubs to jump on board once it started.

The revenue they are producing early years is not that bad actually, it's not as if they were struggling to get the AFL clubs to jump on board once it started.

If it covers it's costs that would be a large success at this point.

More important is growing participation - and following that, interest - in football as a sport. A lot of the feedback from AFLW has been that people who weren't previously following the AFL were taking interest in it, which (from the AFL's perspective) is a good outcome.

I wonder if its the same organisation that compiled the 'data' on Australias Fake Rape crisis on University campuses. Now theres some serious mental gymnastics.

Not really interesred in watching more than a game every three or four weeks or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First footy hitout at a new stadium. Its almost as good for skewing numbers as showing womens cricket using the AFL Grand Final as a lead in program.

You count the numbers, and then you can give the reasons why it's high or low, but we start with the verifiable fact that 41k turned out for a game of women's footy.

You count the numbers, and then you can give the reasons why it's high or low, but we start with the verifiable fact that 41k turned out for a game of women's footy.

Its called an anomaly and its statistically almost irrelevant. You can start with that single fact, but you cant ignore the factors behind it. Thats when you get into delusional territory.

They want equality, start with trying to get equal ratings, cricket, football, any one will be proof.
Women's tennis, golf -UFC (ughh-) & some female Olympic events rate well, cf. the men's version.

As AF organisations have ignored/discouraged/mocked/not funded/banned female AF for most of the period from c.1919 to 2012 (even though cricket, basketball, soccer & other sports gave some encouragement to females to play their sports from the 1920's), it is to be accepted that the standards of female AF are modest now.
With professional levels of training, & proper funding, the AFLW (when played in summer) can be expected to obtain very good ratings in the future.
Probably, from 2028 approx. when the average AFLW skill standard improves considerably -perhaps sooner.

It is also unfair & absurd playing the AFLW with games starting before 5pm, in the heat of the Australian summer. When the vast majority of games start late afternoon/evening, ratings (& the skill levels/spectacle) will be significantly improved. Ratings are always superior for prime time viewing ie 6 pm-10 pm.

Last edited:
Womens sport is an inferior version of the real stuff so will never rate no matter what time of day it's played. FACT.

Its called an anomaly and its statistically almost irrelevant. You can start with that single fact, but you cant ignore the factors behind it. Thats when you get into delusional territory.

What you're saying has credence if it's true that any women's sporting event would have achieved the same result under identical circumstances.

I would put it to you that that would not have been the case at all.

What you're saying has credence if it's true that any women's sporting event would have achieved the same result under identical circumstances.

I would put it to you that that would not have been the case at all.

At Optus Stadium as an opening event? It helps that it was football, but the rest of Fremantles crowds for the season prove it was an anomaly.

It doesn't. It broke women's records only.

"After breaking attendance records for a women’s sporting event in Europe this year, Sunday’s All-Ireland SFC final between Dublin and Mayo also set new TG4 records with an average of 303,800 people tuning in – the highest figure since the station started broadcasting women’s finals in 2001."

Also, " It (TG4) has been reported to have a share of 2% of the national television market in the Republic of Ireland and 3% of the national television market in Northern Ireland".

And then... "Last week’s men’s final also drew record figures on RTÉ with 1.3 million people watching as Dean Rock kicked Dublin to a third All-Ireland title in a row."

I think it does prove people watch women's sport. I reckon Ch 7 would be very happy with 300k+ watching AFLW games.
Of course people watch women's sport but he never said they didn't. How AFLW ratings compared with AFL?

Of course people watch women's sport but he never said they didn't. How AFLW ratings compared with AFL?
The AFLW ratings in the second year of its existence are much lower than AFLs ratings. This proves what? Attendance at the GAA womens finals more than doubled over about 5 years, unless Australians hate womens sport more than the Irish, we could perhaps expect the same for AFLW? Does the fact AFLW isnt getting 100 000 for its final make it a failure? Does AFLW need to rate the same as mens to be considered a success, or worth persevering with?

If it doesn't (its hard to see how that should be the criteria), why did you make the comparison? Other than it makes the women look bad?

Are you one of those, challenged by the potential success of AFLW, that you need to make needless comparisons to bring it down a peg?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back