Here's your 'Survey' AFL - Why dont you go anymore?

Why don't you attend the footy as often?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
No surprise umpiring and rule changes take up majority of voting.

Not sure it can ever be corrected moving forward. Gill set out to ensure the game was never brought into jeopardy with million dollar lawsuits regarding CTE.
Accidental head high contact, bumping and even tackling technique have been drastically altered. Umpires are now mic'd up and audibly control every game. Go watch football in the 90's, umpires rarely ever heard and no one complained then.
Tough times facing this once great sporting code.

May 16, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Your choice as to what you do, but answer my questions. Are you a member of your club and will you be taking out consecutive memberships for the next 40 years? The AFL and your club is relying on you. Us older folk have shown our true colours, will you?
I have been a member of my club since I was 5 years old. I live in Brisbane now so only get the interstate membership to go to three games a year. Typically try and travel down and visit family around the public holidays and get to a match. But I go to almost every match at the Gabba. In my 20s but don’t think I have missed watching a Carlton match since I was 10. That’s a whole lot of terrible Carlton games. To try and act like I’m some fair weather or non-passionate supporter because I am not strongly against the theatrics during the breaks is laughable. I’m not a strong advocate for them either, I go to the matches to watch the footy, not someone try and kick a ball into the bin. But to act like that those entertainment aspects of the match are such a big deal that you no longer want to go to the footy just seems funny to me. I know it’s not the main reason people in this thread are saying that cause them to no longer go, but the thought of that being a reason at all is just hilarious. Just has old man yells at cloud all over it.

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Golden State, Wildcats
Right now, there's a chance of a semi-decent match between Melbourne and Collingwood today. I'm not watching it, simply don't care enough and I know there will be 10-20 insane free kicks given that will be praised by the commentators. No thanks.
Im the exact boat as you.

Used to be an annual, Queens Birthday, ANZAC Day watcher. I just dont have the fire in me anymore. I have an exam on tomorrow but if it wasnt for that, the only thing that keeps me interested is having a punt on the game at the same time whilst watching the game which keeps me interested.
Not sure it can ever be corrected moving forward. Gill set out to ensure the game was never brought into jeopardy with million dollar lawsuits regarding CTE.
Accidental head high contact, bumping and even tackling technique have been drastically altered. Umpires are now mic'd up and audibly control every game. Go watch football in the 90's, umpires rarely ever heard and no one complained then.
Tough times facing this once great sporting code.
The concussion is one that also doesn't seem to get much of a mention on here. I think the game has softened up to an incredible degree. In terms of physicality in the sport we are miles behind NRL. Its almost a sport now where its contactless. I only saw bits of the 1989 Grand Final, but something like Dermott Brereton getting knocked out and coming back later to play in the game would be impossible to see in this day and age. Im not a fan of a concussion rule for two reasons, firstly the player having to be subbed out and secondly them having to rest for the following week.

Rotations as someone mentioned a couple of posts before me has changed the games dynamics as well. It used to be a war of attrition or the 'survival of the fitness'. I see the rotations as a way to bring on the fresh players, when the players on field are getting tired these days. Implementing rotation restrictions Id imagine would be difficult in levels beneath the AFL. (there is a current cap in the AFL system) Teams obviously (and I dont blame them) are looking to bring on a medi sub at their own discretion.

Sep 14, 2003
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Angels, Maple Leafs
The AFL is a corrupt Vic centric boys club and they're slowing killing the game day experience. All they care about is massive salaries for themselves and their mates.

I want to go to the footy to enjoy the FOOTBALL!!!

I do not go to the footy to have my senses constantly blasted by pathetic excessively loud crap over the PA system and the visuals around the boundary fences. Don't get me started on gambling, no amount of advertising revenue justifies being in bed with gambling companies.

I formerly attended a lot of Adelaide Oval games and timed travel interstate to catch Crows games and other top of the table clashes. I haven't been to a match for 18 months, I'm one of the vacant seats the AFL is pondering over. It's not Covid, it's about the ruined game day experience, I found myself screaming inside every pre-match, at every goal break and every quarter breaks.

I'm sure the majority of fans don't want the americanised crap they carry on with. Bring back FOOTBALL to match day, ditch all the other painful match day bulls**t, it's like watching an episode of Big Brother.

And stop your corrupt boys club behaviour as well, stop looking at the bottom line and the fatness of your pay packets.
You mean the competition that is currently run (and ruined) by a South Australian (Gil) and a West Australian (Richard Goyder).

Not that Victorians can do much better - 3/4 of the Melbourne clubs almost went extinct before the game expanded nationally.

Masotiger

All Australian
Feb 12, 2020
Pod Mosto Drvo
AFL Club
Richmond
I have been a member of my club since I was 5 years old. I live in Brisbane now so only get the interstate membership to go to three games a year. Typically try and travel down and visit family around the public holidays and get to a match. But I go to almost every match at the Gabba. In my 20s but don’t think I have missed watching a Carlton match since I was 10. That’s a whole lot of terrible Carlton games. To try and act like I’m some fair weather or non-passionate supporter because I am not strongly against the theatrics during the breaks is laughable. I’m not a strong advocate for them either, I go to the matches to watch the footy, not someone try and kick a ball into the bin. But to act like that those entertainment aspects of the match are such a big deal that you no longer want to go to the footy just seems funny to me. I know it’s not the main reason people in this thread are saying that cause them to no longer go, but the thought of that being a reason at all is just hilarious. Just has old man yells at cloud all over it.
Fair enough. Stick with them.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Giasou Tzatziki_Man, Gambling ads, music, constant rule changes and prices as other posters have mentioned are reasons but the major one for me is the way the game is played. Not really interested putting myself through those reasons just to watch keepings off.
But that's what it comes down to, isn't it.

It's rarely one thing, but instead a bunch of stuff that just reduces your interest in the game enough that actually going to the game doesn't seem worth it, as opposed to just watching on TV.

Personally, I have been to about 3 games in the past decade. The 'game day experience' just doesn't do it for me. It's a chore. Getting there, getting in, sitting in an allocated seat in a soulless stadium, expensive and shitty beer, mind numbing 'entertainment', then getting home.

I just don't see the point.

FWIW though, I considered spontaneously going the other week to a game at Docklands. And no s**t, I couldn't actually work out how to rock up and watch a game! So I gave up.

FWIW though, I considered spontaneously going the other week to a game at Docklands. And no s**t, I couldn't actually work out how to rock up and watch a game! So I gave up.

You get a ticket and go

So I need a ticket first? I can't just rock up?

You might be able to buy GA tickets at the ground still - I'm not sure if that's still an option. I get mine through the North Melbourne app, so haven't had the need to for a few years.

Easiest way would be to buy a GA ticket online and show it on your phone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
It really is the Rule changes number 1 for me. I don't think there has been a footy admin department that has added in this many rules that significantly alter the fabric of the game. We have 666, the stand rule, Umpire dissent, having the man on the mark from a kick in basically in the centre circle.

All these rules have dramatically effected the game. You could argue the writing was on the wall with the contact below the knees rule.

The AFL keeps wanting to bring in rules to increase scoring but I am not sure that is what fans like about the game. The tin foiled hat conspiracy theorist in me thinks they want more goals for more advertising space.

Next is the game day experience. Jesus Christ is it bad. Listening to ******* music so loud people across the Pacific can hear it and the tacky fan engagement crap all makes me want to give whoever came up with those ideas a swift kick to the goulies.

The other thing with the GameDay experience is that you feel like it is big brother watching. Not that I want to hurl all the "ists" comments, I feel any comment other than agreement could end up with me on the front paper having to explain my actions.

Lastly the corporatism that has crept in shits me up the wall. "This goal was brought to you by our sponsors", "The thirteenth minute of the third quarter is thanks to (name a company)".

Apr 24, 2011
Greek Islands
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A lot of older people cbf with this digital membership/ticketing nonsense thats being shoved down our throats. They also can’t understand why they can’t buy a pie with a $5 note like they have done all their lives. So they simply say “* it I’ll just stay home“.…..
Our footy lives are being monitored and curated unfortunately. We are not loyal footy fans anymore but rather a unit of production on some giant corporate AFL database that is sold off to advertisers.

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Kalkee; Horsham Demons
I'm 41 this year, and the game is so different from the way it was when I was growing up in pretty much every way. The addition this year of huge scoreboards, obnoxious lights, music and flashing graphics at Marvel Stadium is just about the final nail in the coffin for me.

Even though I've shifted to rural Victoria, I'll still go to a few Saints games out of loyalty and habit, but on the regular I'd much rather go to a local ground and feel like I'm at the actual footy instead of at a dance club.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
this is a good point, the Boomers will have been naturally dropping off and will do so precipitously from here

that leaves GenXers as the rusted-on cohort, who got rusted-on watching 'golden age' late 80s/90s footy

no wonder crowds are dropping off with the current product!!

I think it is retrievable, but we need a change of CEO ASAP, someone who is able to call STAND the terrible mistake it was and reverse it. Things will improve exponentially from there, scoring will come back up, viewer frustration will drop down, and we can all start enjoying the experience of watching the game again.

Put simply, it is impossible to enjoy a game where every 30 seconds there is an impossible-to-adjudicate-fairly rule applied that distorts the game completely in favour of the team in possession.

The heart of the problem is STAND.
Just go back and watch a game before that rule came in, and measure your enjoyment and blood pressure levels.
Out of all the issues the game faces, the stand rule is dead last on the list. No idea why people seem to have such a problem with it, is it mainly Richmond supporters because it messes with their gameplan? The dissent rule is crap I get that, the protected area rule is rubbish but the stand rule actually helps players move the ball quickly without being scragged after a mark/free. It's one of the few positive changes.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
It's death by a thousand cuts. On its own it won't stop people but it's another reason

I mean today Collingwood supporters were "dancing" like idiots to the KFC ad because some dickhead on a microphone told them to. Have some goddamn dignity!

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Im the exact boat as you.

Used to be an annual, Queens Birthday, ANZAC Day watcher. I just dont have the fire in me anymore. I have an exam on tomorrow but if it wasnt for that, the only thing that keeps me interested is having a punt on the game at the same time whilst watching the game which keeps me interested.

The concussion is one that also doesn't seem to get much of a mention on here. I think the game has softened up to an incredible degree. In terms of physicality in the sport we are miles behind NRL. Its almost a sport now where its contactless. I only saw bits of the 1989 Grand Final, but something like Dermott Brereton getting knocked out and coming back later to play in the game would be impossible to see in this day and age. Im not a fan of a concussion rule for two reasons, firstly the player having to be subbed out and secondly them having to rest for the following week.

Rotations as someone mentioned a couple of posts before me has changed the games dynamics as well. It used to be a war of attrition or the 'survival of the fitness'. I see the rotations as a way to bring on the fresh players, when the players on field are getting tired these days. Implementing rotation restrictions Id imagine would be difficult in levels beneath the AFL. (there is a current cap in the AFL system) Teams obviously (and I dont blame them) are looking to bring on a medi sub at their own discretion.

Do yourself a favor (if you haven't already), watch State of Origin game 2 in a couple of weeks time. Game 1 was electric. But in terms of physicality, it is a completely different sport. AFL/NRL are now light years apart. They used to be somewhat similar but it's considerably noticeable these days. A real shame because physicality is also one of the reasons why human beings have survived. I shudder to think of what we will be watching in 30 years time.

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've been to 3 games this year, 2 at MCG one at Marvel.
Didn't realise how much I despise the game day hosts until mentioned here and made me think about them.. get rid of them.
Stand rule is garbage and price of food is ridiculous, especially at marvel.
The digital membership ticket thing is also garbage

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
It's death by a thousand cuts. On its own it won't stop people but it's another reason

I mean today Collingwood supporters were "dancing" like idiots to the KFC ad because some dickhead on a microphone told them to. Have some goddamn dignity!
ha ha. They already Collingwood supporters. Dignity was already out of the equation... :p

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Golden State, Wildcats
Do yourself a favor (if you haven't already), watch State of Origin game 2 in a couple of weeks time. Game 1 was electric. But in terms of physicality, it is a completely different sport. AFL/NRL are now light years apart. They used to be somewhat similar but it's considerably noticeable these days. A real shame because physicality is also one of the reasons why human beings have survived. I shudder to think of what we will be watching in 30 years time.
Im not sure if this is a true thing. But hearing this:

Would the AFL do such a thing as that?

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Out of all the issues the game faces, the stand rule is dead last on the list. No idea why people seem to have such a problem with it, is it mainly Richmond supporters because it messes with their gameplan? The dissent rule is crap I get that, the protected area rule is rubbish but the stand rule actually helps players move the ball quickly without being scragged after a mark/free. It's one of the few positive changes.
Wrong. It had exactly the opposite effect in fact, reducing attacking and scoring by encouraging monotonous chip-chip

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Im not sure if this is a true thing. But hearing this:

Would the AFL do such a thing as that?

Maybe in the 90's and early 00's it would have worked. You had legitimate superstars who were well known even in NRL heartland. Ablett and Carey were two of the most famous sporting athletes in Australia. Voss drew NRL supporters. As did Lockett but who would want to watch this game with today's superstars of Naughton, Neale and Smith
d00468bab86fc87f6327302d29755324'.gif

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Pretty much this, and I'm actually piggybacking on my old man's Kayo subscription too...

I've been to plenty of games this year, but when it comes down to a choice between staying at home with a 6 pack or paying $25 for an away game and spending $40 on 4 mid strength beers it's actually a pretty easy choice.

No commute in and back.

It's objectively better being there - there atmosphere, seeing each team set up and having a complete picture of the play unfolding, but is it worth the extra $70-80? It's a comfortable trade off.

Also wonder about the general impact of COVID. Companies are having difficulty getting employers to leave their homes and return back to the office. I think there is a similar effect when it comes to attending televised events - we've become increasingly nested and hesitant to leave our homes.
I'm surprised you dont spend $50 on a 30 can 🍺 beer carton or 24 can 🍺 carton lol

Back