Heritage round 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

I've never understood why Collingwood supporters have such a big problem with Port wearing the prison bars. Eddie's argument that it's 'our brand' is ridiculous, people don't just say, oh look that team also wears black and white stripes, I'll change my team now. I would be fine if they'd been allowed to wear it every week with either Pies or Port wearing a clash in away games. It's better than that horribly ugly jumper they've worn most of their time in the AFL.

Shoulda known this thread degenerate into a s**t fight between port and pies supporters. Let them play eachother in the round, both wearing black and white stripes, and have fox broadcast the game in black and white (HD of course) to really get into the spirit.... And while port and pies fans get into that and froth at the mouth, the rest of the comp can enjoy the other 8 games.

Heritage Round ;

Friday night
North v Essendon (same jumpers as 1950 GF)
Saturday afternoon
Carlton v Collingwood MCG (same jumpers as 1970 GF)
Port v Adelaide (Port wear prison bars , Crows original jumper)
Geelong v Bulldogs KP (1975 EF)
Saturday night
Saints v Swans (Lake premiership - 1970 EF jumpers)
Fremantle v WC (original jumpers)
Sunday
Giants v GC
Hawthorn v Melbourne (1996 merger game jumpers)
Bears v Richmond (1987 final round wooden spoon game)

Incorrect

The initial jumpers made buckets, then hawthorn wore their red white and blue, which the AFL didn't like, because it went against "AFL is football" motto
They then introduced themes, which meant all clubs wore the same jumpers, that's when it went pear shaped

By "buckets how much do you mean?
I know all things are subjective, but Melbourne lost money on Heritage jumpers, you can probably still buy a 2003 Melbourne Heritage jumper from the club, such was the over ordering that they encountered. Then there's Footscray's striped number, I bet you've hardly ever seen any of those. Unless you work with the homeless, because that's where they were donated. And North had 03 jumpers on shelves when the 05 jumpers were released.
The clubs that sold a few are not the clubs that sell the most merchandise. StKilda, Richmond (in 03, but not 04) and West Coast (in 04) were the only really good sellers.
Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood and Geelong, the biggest selling clubs all had disappointing results in 2003 and 2004 in terms of Heritage merchandise
So if by "buckets" you mean two of the then 16 clubs made money, then perhaps you are correct.
If by "buckets" you mean two of the then 16 clubs made money, most made a little and three actually lost money, then you'd be correct, but I'd challenge your use of the word "buckets".
Hawthorn's 05 jumper was developed with the history of the club in mind and approved by the AFL.
At the time it was one of the main promotions of the Round by the AFL, that Shane Crawford would be wearing Blue White and Red.
To say they didn't like it is a nonsense.
They probably didn't like the fact that no-one bought it though.

In fact, all I really have to say could be summed up here

Last edited:
Sorry to bump this but Mero's post above is one of his greatest, provides great insight into heritage round lovers like myself
Good Grief. I was wondering why a post from 2014 was being read, let alone liked.
Having said that, I'm happy to stand by everything I said at the time.
Heritage Round was an abject failure on the AFL's part, and Indigenous Round has replaced it in the fixture as the opportunity to sell jumpers.
(Oh yes, and reflect on the valuable contribution Indigenous players have made to the game.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back