Portfolio Heritage Round concept - Old alternate/away/clash jumpers

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for a heritage round concept that will bring out nostalgic memories for anyone around my age, but with a twist. Instead of just using home/main jumpers from that era, I will do the forgotten and maybe not so forgotten secondary jumpers from that period.

- All designs I'll do cannot have been introduced or re-introduced from the past decade as of next season. So that means I won't do the infamous bounding Roo jumper from the late 90's and early 2000's for North because they used it as their away jumper in 2019.
- Whenever possible I will try and avoid using mostly white past designs.
- I try to avoid using designs from the 2010's, but with three teams that's obviously not possible.

The match-ups for this round:
Essendon v Richmond @ MCG, Thursday 7.20pm
Geelong v Melbourne @ Kardinia Park, Friday 7.50pm
GWS Giants v Gold Coast SUNS @ Manuka Oval, Saturday 1.45pm
Carlton v Sydney Swans @ Docklands, Saturday 4.35pm
Brisbane Lions v St Kilda @ Gabba, Saturday 7.25pm
Adelaide Crows v Hawthorn @ Adelaide Oval, Saturday 7.10pm local/7.40pm AEST
North Melbourne v Western Bulldogs @ Docklands, Sunday 1.10pm
Collingwood v Port Adelaide @ MCG, Sunday 3.20pm
West Coast Eagles v Fremantle @ Perth Stadium, Sunday 3.20pm local/5.20pm AEST

Last edited:
Essendon v Richmond
Thursday 7.20pm
MCG

The first match of the round is a throwback to 2007. Richo being robbed of a matchwinning goal due to the silly hands in the back rule that was implemented that season, Hird's last playing season with the Dons and along with Sheedy's last as coach. Both teams bought out totally useless clash jumpers and were the last two to actually get a proper clash jumper. Fitting match-up for this round.

Essendon
The fat sash worn in 2007, paired up with red shorts, which the Dons actually did when they played the Saints in 2007.
graphic_kit_afl_2022_ess_421_heritage.png

Richmond
The same design they wore in Sheedy's last game as coach in Melbourne, but with a brighter puma yellow.
graphic_kit_afl_2022_rich_421_heritage.png

Essendon v Richmond
Thursday 7.20pm
MCG

The first match of the round is a throwback to 2007. Richo being robbed of a matchwinning goal due to the silly hands in the back rule that was implemented that season, Hird's last playing season with the Dons and along with Sheedy's last as coach. Both teams bought out totally useless clash jumpers and were the last two to actually get a proper clash jumper. Fitting match-up for this round.

Essendon
The fat sash worn in 2007, paired up with red shorts, which the Dons actually did when they played the Saints in 2007.
View attachment 1166108

Richmond
The same design they wore in Sheedy's last game as coach in Melbourne, but with a brighter puma yellow.
View attachment 1166110
I always found the white shorts funny on teams that never use white, but still a classic kit

Geelong v Melbourne
Friday 7.50pm
"Skilled Stadium"

The second match of the round is a throwback to 2005. The Cats were on the verge of greatness but not quite there yet, while the Dees towards the end of the Daniher era were starting to consistently play finals rather than just being a yo-yo club. The two teams played out a thriller which the Demons won by a point late in the regular season but they played off in an elimination final a few weeks later in which Geelong got their revenge.

Geelong
Based on their 2004/05 away with their old school logo.
graphic_kit_afl_2022_geel_422_heritage.png

Melbourne
Based on their 2005/07 clash jumper, worn at the last ever AFL game at Princes Park and Neale Daniher's last ever game as coach.
graphic_kit_afl_2022_mel_441_heritage.png

Alternate strips pre-2016'ish were horrid (with a few exceptions). Cartoon animals, gradients, and ineffective clash strips. Just yuck.
I tend to agree now that I am an adult, but I must admit I loved our 05/06 and 07/08 clash jumpers when it came out.

I think it's worth doing for one round, but one round only. Or bringing them back for pre-season games.

GWS Giants v Gold Coast SUNS
Saturday 1.45pm
Manuka Oval

Throwback to the early 2010's has the two newest clubs against one another. The Giants even though they didn't wear their clash jumper that day had their first ever win as a club against the Suns, while the Suns will be wearing the jumper they wore when they had their first ever win against Port Adelaide.

GWS Giants
The inaugural GWS Giants clash jumper.
graphic_kit_afl_2022_gws_332_heritage.png

Gold Coast SUNS
Gold Coast's first ever away jumper. This jumper was used purely as a revenue raiser rather than an actual clash jumper. However it will be remembered as the jumper they had their first ever win as a club. And also the Karmichael Hunt after the siren winner.
graphic_kit_afl_2022_gc_311_heritage.png

Carlton v Sydney Swans
Saturday 4.35pm
"Etihad Stadium"

The only other game this round that will throwback to last decade, in the slot that was started in the last decade sees Carlton in their infamous baby blue and Sydney in their first ever clash jumper. While Carlton did have previous clash jumpers before the 2010's, it is very similar to their current clash jumper so as such I have decided not to use it.

Carlton
Baby blue jumper with the old monogram and the baby blue shorts
graphic_kit_afl_2022_carl_331_heritage.png

Sydney Swans
Even though it was only worn in pre-season, this was their first clash jumper. The Swans did not have a clash jumper before 2010.
Fun fact: Sydney did actually wear this kit design against Carlton.
graphic_kit_afl_2022_syd_311_heritage.png

Last edited:
Brisbane Lions v St Kilda
Saturday 7.25pm
Gabba

This game throws back to 2005, the Lions in round 1 tricked us into thinking our golden era wasn't over, we opened the season against the Saints and had a win, infamous for Mal Michael and Brad Scott roughing up Nick Riewoldt. The Saints would get their revenge in round 23, giving us our biggest loss as a merged club, with Milney kicking 11 goals that night. The Lions still had absolute superstars such as Voss, Brown, Aker, Black and Power running around, while the Saints had Riewoldt, Gehrig, Harvey, Dal Santo and Hayes. Our first ever clash jumper was also bought out in 2005, while the Saints wore their clash jumper for the season opener. The Lions and Saints would also meet again at Docklands in the 2006 Easter Thursday game in which we wore our clash jumper.

Brisbane Lions
Our inaugural clash jumper. As a kid I loved this jumper.
graphic_kit_afl_2022_bl_411_heritage.png

St Kilda
The Saints also wore this jumper in their away Qualifying final win against the Crows in 2005.
graphic_kit_afl_2022_stk_321_heritage.png

Adelaide Crows v Hawthorn
Saturday 7.10pm local/7.40pm AEST
Adelaide Oval

Throwback to the second half of the 2000's, Crows contending and pretending under the Neil Craig era and Alastair Clarkson takes on his first gig as senior coach at an AFL team. The two teams have also played off in some close finals games.

Adelaide
The away jumper in 2006/7, Roo's last two seasons playing.
graphic_kit_afl_2022_adel_411_heritage.png

Hawthorn
Their first ever clash jumper, although probably the most useless clash jumper ever introduced. From the same season the Hawks won the flag and Buddy kicked over 100 goals.
graphic_kit_afl_2022_haw_422_heritage.png

"Kangaroos" v Western Bulldogs
Sunday 1.10pm
"Telstra Dome"

In a round that is themed on AFL-era nostalgia, it is fitting that the only two Victorian clubs to have actually changed their actual names verse one another. North Melbourne decided to be simply known as the "Kangaroos in 1999, before reverting back to the North Melbourne moniker by the 2008 season after rejecting the Gold Coast relocation move, while the Western Bulldogs used to be known as Footscray and changed in time for the 1997 season. This particular game however is a throwback to 2005, the Kangaroos making finals under Dean Laidley while the Bulldogs start to become competitive under Rodney Eade.

"Kangaroos"
Their away jumper from 2005, I went with this instead of the bounding Roo due to the fact that the bounding Roo was used in 2019. I also opted against the 2007/08 design as I believe that North should wear that minus logo as their actual clash jumper.
graphic_kit_afl_2022_nm_311_heritage.png

Western Bulldogs
This jumper was worn once in a game against Geelong at Kardinia Park in 2005.
graphic_kit_afl_2022_wb_321_heritage.png

I have two match-ups left to post and I deliberately saved what I believe are the best two jumper matchups for last.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saturday 7.25pm
Gabba

This game throws back to 2005, the Lions in round 1 tricked us into thinking our golden era wasn't over, we opened the season against the Saints and had a win, infamous for Mal Michael and Brad Scott roughing up Nick Riewoldt. The Saints would get their revenge in round 23, giving us our biggest loss as a merged club, with Milney kicking 11 goals that night. The Lions still had absolute superstars such as Voss, Brown, Aker, Black and Power running around, while the Saints had Riewoldt, Gehrig, Harvey, Dal Santo and Hayes. Our first ever clash jumper was also bought out in 2005, while the Saints wore their clash jumper for the season opener. The Lions and Saints would also meet again at Docklands in the 2006 Easter Thursday game in which we wore our clash jumper.

Brisbane Lions
View attachment 1167913

St Kilda
The Saints also wore this jumper in their away Qualifying final win against the Crows in 2005.
View attachment 1167915
Is this the darkest timeline? That is probably the worst jumper we have worn lol, noone wants to remember that

Collingwood v Port Adelaide
3.20pm Sunday
MCG

This game is a throwback to the early 2000's, as a Lions supporter I grew up (and still do) hating both of these teams, as those two teams were our biggest obstacles towards premiership success, meeting them both in Grand Finals. This era had Collingwood competing in back-to-back grand finals in 2002 and 2003 and Port Adelaide finishing minor premiers three years in a row before getting their breakthrough flag in 2004. This match-up also is the battle of black and white as Collingwood fans believe that they are the sole owners of those colour combinations at AFL level, while Port fans believe they have a right to their historical colours.

Collingwood
This is their away jumper from 2003 with the infamous swooping Magpie.
graphic_kit_afl_2022_coll_411_heritage.png

Port Adelaide
Their clash jumper from their premiership year had a thunderbolt. As a kid I thought it was a locker in the background rather than triangles.
graphic_kit_afl_2022_port_423_hertiage.png

West Coast Eagles v Fremantle
Sunday 3.20pm local/5.20pm AEST
Perth Stadium

This game is a throwback to the mid-to-late 90's and the early 2000's, I wanted to save the best jumper match-up for last.

West Coast Eagles
This jumper was meant for a round like this! As a kid I loved this jumper and thought it was the best thing ever.
graphic_kit_afl_2022_wce_332_heritage.png

Fremantle
Worn in their first ever game as an AFL team back in 1995. Surprised Fremantle have never re-released this particular design.
graphic_kit_afl_2022_fre_323_heritage.png

I actually have almost done a set of my full 2022 jumper ideas but that will be posted in the 2022 jumper ideas thread once I'm ready.

Saturday 7.25pm
Gabba

Brisbane Lions
View attachment 1167913

St Kilda
View attachment 1167915

I think this was the Saints jumper in the VFA and a bit in the VFL?

Thank God Eddie wasn’t around then…

Carlton v Sydney Swans
Saturday 4.35pm
"Etihad Stadium"

The only other game this round that will throwback to last decade, in the slot that was started in the last decade sees Carlton in their infamous baby blue and Sydney in their first ever clash jumper. While Carlton did have previous clash jumpers before the 2010's, it is very similar to their current clash jumper so as such I have decided not to use it.

Carlton
Baby blue jumper with the old monogram and the baby blue shorts
View attachment 1167905

Sydney Swans
Even though it was only worn in pre-season, this was their first clash jumper. The Swans did not have a clash jumper before 2010.
Fun fact: Sydney did actually wear this kit design against Carlton.
View attachment 1167906
I really like the idea of mixing the current design with the classic V, I’m really suprised Sydney hasn’t done it honestly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back