Opinion Heritage Round Jumper

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

So Kochy is pushing hard for the return of Heritage Round and it got me thinking about what we'd do if it happens. Considering our team has only ever worn one style of home jumper in the AFL, would this be a good opportunity for us to officially recognise Southport as a big part of Gold Coast footy heritage? Is this a step we want to make or is it better to avoid officially bringing in Sharks like that? Southport are undeniably the most successful and influential club in Gold Coast footy history so they are kind of hard to ignore if you're discussing a Heritage Round jumper.

I know Fremantle used to wear variations of the South Fremantle and East Fremantle jumpers in the style of their normal jumper during Heritage Round so why not something like that? A jumper with a Southport looking chevron that utilises our colours? Something like this which looks similar to our clash jumper from a few years ago but has a bit more of a Southport look to it:

ZSx3f.png

What do you guys think? Am I way off here or should we seriously be considering a Southport style jumper if Heritage Round is brought back? Another thing to consider is if we do it just once then that jumper design instantly becomes a part of our history and we can forever claim it as our own if we choose to not pay homage to Southport in the future.

I was going to mock up a Suns Prison Bar edition jersey as a gag but decided I didn't want Eddie McGuire turning up on my doorstep with a baseball bat.

Personally I would stay away with the Southport connection, Mainly because we've made it clear in the past that we're our own club (Plus we play them in the VFL)

Without a jersey overhaul it's kind of hard to select a heritage strip due to as you pointed out we've used the same design since the beginning for our home jumper but outside of that I think the best way we could do it currently would be to bring back "the wave"

1620408330886.png

I was going to mock up a Suns Prison Bar edition jersey as a gag but decided I didn't want Eddie McGuire turning up on my doorstep with a baseball bat.

Personally I would stay away with the Southport connection, Mainly because we've made it clear in the past that we're our own club (Plus we play them in the VFL)

Without a jersey overhaul it's kind of hard to select a heritage strip due to as you pointed out we've used the same design since the beginning for our home jumper but outside of that I think the best way we could do it currently would be to bring back "the wave"

View attachment 1121219
I want the wave back anyway. It was something different and with some tweaks could make the jumper much better then the current eyesore

If we're going to ignore Southport then perhaps the foundation guernsey makes the most sense? It's a jumper we've worn in AFL games and was specifically designed to recognise those who were involved with the club in the early days.

624QkxN.jpg

It feels like a bit of a cop out considering the club would have the opportunity to create a brand new jumper if Heritage Round does return BUT we don't really have many options at this stage. This was the issue Fremantle ran into back in 2003 when Heritage Round was introduced and the Dockers were still wearing their original home jumper nine years into their existence. They're the only club in the AFL to have recognised local clubs during Heritage Round which is why I suggested recognising Southport's contributions to Gold Coast footy over the last 60 years could be an option for us. Conversely, Adelaide and West Coast decided to wear their regular jumpers in Heritage Round 2003 and it wasn't well perceived so they fell in line and created variation 'heritage' jumpers the following year.

eUdOJHG.jpg

Strangely enough, GWS are actually in a far better position than us when it comes to a potential future Heritage Round. Their TAC Cup jumper was completely different to their current jumper:

sGut7aY.jpg

View attachment 1121219

100% agree! BRING BACK THE WAVEEEE

Remove this Banner Ad

Back