Roast Heritage Watch

There was a post earlier that listed the items that the person believed made us ‘Port Adelaide’, of course all football clubs are similar in many, many ways, but what things were peculiar to outpr traditions and heritage and when did the club choose to abuse or disabuse us of them, sometimes through no fault of their own, sometimes from not being diligent or aware.

If the person who posted the list (that included zones, the creed etc) could re do so that would be great.

We can then potentially organise to protect them in the way we are campaigning for the PB’s. Get things enshrined at the club that would require member to agree on changing and ,ist the things worth fighting for re-I starting.

Dec 20, 2015
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!
There was a post earlier that listed the items that the person believed made us ‘Port Adelaide’, of course all football clubs are similar in many, many ways, but what things were peculiar to outpr traditions and heritage and when did the club choose to abuse or disabuse us of them, sometimes through no fault of their own, sometimes from not being diligent or aware.

If the person who posted the list (that included zones, the creed etc) could re do so that would be great.

We can then potentially organise to protect them in the way we are campaigning for the PB’s. Get things enshrined at the club that would require member to agree on changing and ,ist the things worth fighting for re-I starting.

QUOTE="RossFC, post: 59620810, member: 131962"]Since the re-unification in 2010. (May be missing some things, feel free to add)

Things taken away between 2013-2019:
Our Zones
Our Juniors
SANFL listed players raided by other SANFL clubs
Academy side
Tradition of the Captain wearing No.1 at both AFL & SANFL level (Replaced by Co-Captains Wines & Jonas, and "Leadership player" Cam Sutcliffe)

Things that could be gone between 2020-2022:
Prison Bars jumper at ANY level. (If we leave the SANFL and don't put in a convincing enough case to wear it in the AFL/AFLR/AFLW comps)
SANFL side
Magpies nickname
Port Magpies logo
Home (SANFL) games at Alberton

What we will have left:
1870 on the back of a 10 year old jumper
Port panel on back of that jumper
37 flags hanging at Alberton Oval
NTUA (Was a message directed to the SANFL but it seems our club is cannibalising itself)[/QUOTE]
Is this the one you mean? I just came across it

QUOTE="RossFC, post: 59620810, member: 131962"]Since the re-unification in 2010. (May be missing some things, feel free to add)

Our Zones
Our Juniors
Academy side
Tradition of the Captain wearing No.1 at both AFL & SANFL level (Replaced by Co-Captains Wines & Jonas, and "Leadership player" Cam Sutcliffe)

Prison Bars jumper at ANY level. (If we leave the SANFL and don't put in a convincing enough case to wear it in the AFL/AFLR/AFLW comps)
SANFL side
Magpies nickname
Port Magpies logo

What we will have left:
NTUA (Was a message directed to the SANFL but it seems our club is cannibalising itself)
Is this the one you mean? I just came across it[/QUOTE]
That’s the one, thanks.

So what should be on this list? I’ll update the OP with ideas (the sensible ones). It doesn’t matter if the return feels impossible right now, it matters that we attempt to enshrine those that matter.

Just a slight adjustment to RossFC's post, we merged with the Magpies in November 2010, the One Club campaign, but legally reunified in September 2013, and that's when we started to lose zones, juniors etc.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
The number panel is an interesting one. If I remember correctly, the overwhelming majority were against it being on the BiB.

Surely that can't be used as an example of maintaining heritage.

A suggestion of some kind of affective action we can take as members outside of getting hysterical on a forum would be helpful imo

As for the PB’s a member group established to create a statement of intent from the club that explains what we actually stand for. Other clubs have similar groups that hold veto over heritage issues, if we get support and good ideas we can move forward from there. This isn’t about outrage, this is about protecting what is important and committing to a long term plan of getting back that which may have been lost, whether it takes two or twenty years.
Maybe the club genuinely didn’t understand the backlash they would get from co captains, surely a concerted effort to work out what matters in this area would be helpful.

Like a constitution, but not really. A definitive statement that can guide all future administrations with items that require a majority of members to vote on to change.

As for the PB’s a member group established to create a statement of intent from the club that explains what we actually stand for. Other clubs have similar groups that hold veto over heritage issues, if we get support and good ideas we can move forward from there. This isn’t about outrage, this is about protecting what is important and committing to a long term plan of getting back that which may have been lost, whether it takes two or twenty years.

..... All this will not be finished in the first one hundred days. Nor will it be finished in the first one thousand days, nor in the life of this Administration, nor even perhaps in our lifetime on this planet. But let us begin!

..... All this will not be finished in the first one hundred days. Nor will it be finished in the first one thousand days, nor in the life of this Administration, nor even perhaps in our lifetime on this planet. But let us begin!
Spot on!

Trewth

shootin from the lip
Mar 21, 2011
amongst the rabble
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Knicks, Canucks, Raiders, St Pauli
Maybe the club genuinely didn’t understand the backlash they would get from co captains, surely a concerted effort to work out what matters in this area would be helpful.

Like a constitution, but not really. A definitive statement that can guide all future administrations with items that require a majority of members to vote on to change.

I’m all for that. Well worth fighting for.

Continuity. Put that on our list.

That is, people >> business/licensed premises registrations.

Intentionally, consciously or not, It’s at the heart of the sentiment of “Never Tear Us Apart”.

Older folks than me have probably known this principle as “grandfather’s axe”. Six handles and twelve blades later and it’s still grandfather’s axe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Continuity. Put that on our list.

That is, people >> business/licensed premises registrations.

Intentionally, consciously or not, It’s at the heart of the sentiment of “Never Tear Us Apart”.

Older folks than me have probably known this principle as “grandfather’s axe”. Six handles and twelve blades later and it’s still grandfather’s axe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, let’s work out what NTUA means, what do we want to never be torn asunder.

When we get a list of a a number of non negotiables (without member approval) I’ll create a poll here to test the waters of the top six that we would like to have a say over, now and in the future then put it out to the greater Port Adelaide public.

This is about helping the club, just like the PB’s campaign.

Last edited:
The number panel is an interesting one. If I remember correctly, the overwhelming majority were against it being on the BiB.

I was for it, but some people were against it because they thought it would look crap and would bastardise the BiB jumper.

But it's great and distinctly Port Adelaide. The black back, looks too much like St Kilda.

Adam Marrett23

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2014
My question is this in regards to the SANFL, do people actually want to stay in that comp? Just for the sake of wearing the prison bars, while that competition serves no purpose what so ever when the AFL reserves starts up, other then being a continual noose around our neck, like it has been for the last 10 plus years at least, and the rest.

They are the reason we lost our contracted SANFL players to other clubs, we couldn't pay them as much as the other clubs as we weren't allowed to as far as I have been aware (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that, I may well be). Our zones got stripped away, as REH said it coincided with the merger of the two clubs back to one club, another SANFL idea that got implemented on us. Same as their original moronic idea of splitting the Power and the Magpies up in the first place in 1997 when we entered the AFL, which caused so much damage to our brand to begin with.

If giving up the prison bars is a cost to get our club away from that rotton corporation (who have handicapped us from the start) and dying league, to which our AFL side is better served long term, and likely our club, would fans, supporters and members be prepared to accept it?

As for today, we have co-captains for 2019. It isn't in our heritage, or history, but neither was playing in the AFL for 126/127 years. But the number 1 is still there for when we go back to one captain, which will happen eventually.

All good things like number 1 come to a end, maybe only for a season. It's sad, and can be emotional, I understand that. But also the Fos Williams and Motley era ended once upon a time, The golden premiership laden era of the late 70's, 80's & 90's came to a end eventually. Choco's great sides of 2001-2004 all ended, Choco who is still our greatest AFL coach fell by the wayside, and had to leave. I don't see this as any different. Our club is bigger then any of that, and not having a captain wearing number 1 for a year or so. Everything there listed and 10000 other traditional and historical moments make us who were as a club, and hopefully from here this playing group, administrators, and coaching group make their own history and legacy and add to our great tradition.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks

I am actually surprised they got it past Eddie. It does look like the old PB guernsey from the back so I guess it is a touch of heritage.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Our Zones
Our Juniors
Academy side

SANFL side
Magpies nickname
Port Magpies logo

What we will have left:
NTUA (Was a message directed to the SANFL but it seems our club is cannibalising itself)
Is this the one you mean? I just came across it[/QUOTE]

"we exist to win premierships" is now "we exist to win premierships and make our community proud" a needless addition to what was a great motto

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
We have also lost the ability to go back to the Club rooms after a game and listen to the Coach give his thoughts on the game or rub shoulders with Board Members and players alike. The really sad thing is that those game day rituals at Alberton will never be experienced by the AFL generations. When we first came into the AFL the 'real footy club thing' separated us from the corporation down the road. Sadly we are becoming more like them with every passing year and I think that is what this thread is getting at.

This thread isn't simply about our tradition but about our heritage and the Alberton thing is part of our heritage that we have lost. As for the present day custodians of the PAFC heritage, I never saw David Koch back at Alberton in those days, Keith Thomas was playing for the opposition and Ken Hinkley would not have known where Alberton was.

Hopefully there is still plenty of action back at Alberton after the game I would not know as the games finish late and it is too far for me to travel. I guess I am living proof that it is possible to be a fully paid up Member, go to every game in Adelaide yet never go anywhere near our spiritual home.

The Cambridge Dictionary defines heritage as,

features belonging to the culture of a particular society, such as traditions, languages, or buildings, that were created in the past and still have historical importance

It therefore follows that traditions need to be maintained, preserved and passed on to future generations if heritage is to survive.

Last edited:

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
I was for it, but some people were against it because they thought it would look crap and would bastardise the BiB jumper.

But it's great and distinctly Port Adelaide. The black back, looks too much like St Kilda.
Bahahaha bastardise the bib jumper, wtf.. Sometimes you just have to laugh...

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
"we exist to win premierships" is now "we exist to win premierships and make our community proud" a needless addition to what was a great motto
Support the club, mate.
Just stop being a negative person all the time.

Quit the continuing negative s**t.[/QUOTE]

Thats perfectly relevant to this thread champ. Further more, they aren't giving us a lot to be proud of/excited about at the moment.

I don't need to justify what i am saying.

I DO SUPPORT THE CLUB

I DO NOT SUPPORT THE PEOPLE MAKING THE DECISIONS TO TEAR APART ALL OF OUR GREAT TRADITIONS

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I think I was out of step with most people here, because I didn't consider a single captain to be a Port Adelaide tradition at all.

But I did see the number 1 as incredibly important, so while my ideal situation is 1 captain wearing #1, I'd have been happy enough with 2 captains from a tradition perspective provided one of them was wearing #1.

Most people seem to prefer that #1 is set aside because there are co-captains.

We've been temporarily separated from our traditional guernsey, our most important visual identifier, but that will be resolved.

Outside of that, the most important traditions have already been forgotten, and not just by Koch and Ken. We think of Port Adelaide Football as being tough, uncompromising, with success coming first. That isn't our club at AFL level. Not under any leadership we've had since 1997.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Things that should be non-negotiable

- Our Home is Alberton Oval
- We are first and foremost the Port Adelaide Football Club. Nicknames can come and go but should ultimately be in the background.
- Captain wears #1
- Prison Bars
- We live and die by the words of the creed. Everything we do from the Chairman to the boot studder to the social media team should be measured against it.

I don't consider playing in the SANFL to be important. We do whatever we can to play and be successful in the highest competition that exists.

I'd prefer to have juniors and zones but we have to have somewhere to play them. Hopefully the AFL system moves towards the NRL system with a proper junior setup and the SANFL dies. If the opportunity to have juniors and zones arises, it should be absolutely a focus for us.

I'd consider an AFLW team to be important in the same vein. It absolutely irks me that we've missed out and it's something I'd like to see rectified asap.

Back