Heroic Adam Goodes honoured with a documentary about his last season

Adam Goodes is one of the all time greats and a wonderful role-model

• I agree (correct)

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I disagree, and my wife/cousin shares this opinion

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I await his swimming and **** policy (also correct)

Votes: 30 34.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m sure Goodes has been called similar racist names before in life, if not worse names. But in the heat of a game where his mind should be on winning he threw a tantrum and stormed off like a juvenile himself.

How dare the uppity Aborigine not just cop the racial abuse on the chin? I’ll show him!

Mate, we were still booing Tom Scully when he rocked up for Hawthorn this year. Our supporters are not many, but we're passionate and have long memories.
Jeremy McGovern was getting booed a couple of weeks back for whacking Jack Viney in the Prelim. Even though it was drowned out by Eagles fans booing because the grass grew by 1mm.
Mumford was still getting booed for taking out Gawny. Even after coming back from retirement.
But mostly I'm using the Jetta argument as a pisstake to highlight the ridiculous notion of racist booing.
Eddie Betts has done a lot to raise awareness of racial bullying and he never gets booed,
except by Poort flogs, but let's face it, they'd even boo if Margot Robbie ran onto the field wearing nothing but an Adelaide scarf.

All of those examples were specific incidents that only caused booing between two teams, and which die out over time.

This was week in, week out, no matter what the team, and happened as soon as he touched the ball at any time in any game. This was not the normal booing we see in the game.

Last edited:

In my mind the AFL helped create this absurd situation by refusing to treat him like a white person

Nicky Winmar was my favourite player. I remember the day after he took his jumper off, a Collingwood official (can't remember if he was the President or not, so I won't say it was) saying he wouldn't respect him unless he acted like a white person.

Why just him? Because he stood up against racism. The public like indigenous players to kick great goals, show silky skills and not rock the boat. Goodes did and the floodgates opened.

I’ll turn it around and ask again: “if it was because he was dirty/a sniper/a flog why just him?” Plenty of those in the AFL past and present, so why just Goodes?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Other players do and did get booed.

Carey copped it relentlessly too.
However he never simulated sex in a toilet at a cheer squad to inflame the situation

He just played better

I find people who are outraged on behalf of Adam Goodes to be disingenuous.

I make no apology for booing Adam Goodes when I saw him play. I boo'd him because he was something of a dirty player, always throwing elbows around and very quick to drop a knee into a contest as well. His race had nothing to do with it, and without speaking for others I would suggest that the overwhelming majority of people heckled Goodes because of the way he played, not because of his skin colour.

Aside from the odd Port fan, I have never heard anybody boo Shaun Burgoyne. I never heard Cyril Rioli get heckled either. Nor Gavin Wanganeen, Eddie Betts (the odd Carlton fan aside) and so on.

So why is booing Adam Goodes racist in light of the above?

McGuire, bolt and Devine are getting bood at film screenings

If booings your thing, get along and knock yourself out, the offended seem to think it’s OK

I find people who are outraged on behalf of Adam Goodes to be disingenuous.

I make no apology for booing Adam Goodes when I saw him play. I boo'd him because he was something of a dirty player, always throwing elbows around and very quick to drop a knee into a contest as well. His race had nothing to do with it, and without speaking for others I would suggest that the overwhelming majority of people heckled Goodes because of the way he played, not because of his skin colour.

Aside from the odd Port fan, I have never heard anybody boo Shaun Burgoyne. I never heard Cyril Rioli get heckled either. Nor Gavin Wanganeen, Eddie Betts (the odd Carlton fan aside) and so on.

So why is booing Adam Goodes racist in light of the above?

It’s been covered 50 times already but how outspoken were Eddie, Gavin, Cyril and Shaun compared to Adam?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was wondering who’d be game to start a thread on this.

Heroic?
Neale Daniher is heroic

Exactly. This bloke takes himself as the vehicle for a whole race. Piss off. Do Jews hate all Germans because of Hitler? No.

This was a personal matter and many people could not give two shits about the race or religion of a player so long as they don’t shove it down people’s throats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one is called racist when they call Kanye West a campaigner.

It was bullying based on whatever reason I’m not sure, but it wasn’t at all justified, so don’t try and justify it.

Only idiots and children joined in, hence why the WC supporters (not known for having a young demographic) were the worst cuprits.

Who are you to decide whether someone is justified in booing someone?

Is that you God / Allah?

You are defending the booing of Goodes as not in any way being racist, which directly contravenes the statement Eddie and his indigenous brothers released this week.

Ergo you are calling them all liars. It's the only conclusion to be drawn.

Shameful how you are so willing to besmirch the integrity of all indigenous players is such a manner.

Poor Eddie.

#IstandwithEddie
#IstandwithGoodsey

Sorry mate. I like your posting but you stating you stand for Goodesy is not doing anything for aboriginal rights.

The bigger issue is that the aboriginal flag has a copyright, is produced under licence

Is it ok to call him money hungry, as he cares about his own pocket, and not his people

The bigger issue is that the aboriginal flag has a copyright, is produced under licence

Is it ok to call him money hungry, as he cares about his own pocket, and not his people
Goodes doesn't hold the copyright to the flag.

What a strange comment.

It’s been covered 50 times already but how outspoken were Eddie, Gavin, Cyril and Shaun compared to Adam?

And in what way does that prove that people are racially targeting him?

The other players mentioned are/were all cleaner footballers than Goodes who was not above cheap sniping and staging when he thought he could get away with it.

Lots of players of all races get heckled, usually it is because they have staged for a cheap free or committed a grubby act on field. On occasion it is because they have come up against a former club or gone all Ablett Jr on us and publicly supported a known homophobe.

Can Paul Puopolo play the race card on the frequent occasions he gets heckled, or do you think it might be because there is a perception that he "ducks" his head in a tackle trying to win a free? Joel Selwood gets roundly chastised, great player that he is but for the same reasons as Poppy does.

But when it happened to Goodes, it must have been racially motivated? What a pathetic, strawman argument that is.

And in what way does that prove that people are racially targeting him?

The other players mentioned are/were all cleaner footballers than Goodes who was not above cheap sniping and staging when he thought he could get away with it.

Lots of players of all races get heckled, usually it is because they have staged for a cheap free or committed a grubby act on field. On occasion it is because they have come up against a former club or gone all Ablett Jr on us and publicly supported a known homophobe.

Can Paul Puopolo play the race card on the frequent occasions he gets heckled, or do you think it might be because there is a perception that he "ducks" his head in a tackle trying to win a free? Joel Selwood gets roundly chastised, great player that he is but for the same reasons as Poppy does.

But when it happened to Goodes, it must have been racially motivated? What a pathetic, strawman argument that is.

You don’t understand what straw man means but please do continue.

Back