Heroic Adam Goodes honoured with a documentary about his last season

Adam Goodes is one of the all time greats and a wonderful role-model

• I agree (correct)

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I disagree, and my wife/cousin shares this opinion

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I await his swimming and **** policy (also correct)

Votes: 30 34.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Evey player that has played 300 games has been reported for something, it's just a convenient deflection.

Utter, utter nonsense.

Again, you are claiming to know the inner minds of all that gave Goodes some stick from over the fence. You sanctimonious prick.

This has zero to do with his tribunal record. I didn't like the way Goodes staged for free kicks and I boo Joel Selwood for the same. I didn't like watching Goodes slide knees first into contests causing injury to those who were vulnerable. And I booed Matthew Lloyd when he used his arm-guard to smash Josh Thurgood's jaw, which is much the same thing.

Guess what sport, both Lloyd and Selwood are white.

So is GAJ and I boo him too.

You don't get to call me a racist. Not when you are as ignorant as you are.

I would have heckled Adam Goodes for his actions, regardless of the colour of his skin. The guy is very likely an upstanding citizen off the field and contributes greatly to society...but he was an utter flog at times on the park...hence he gets heckled where other indigenous players do not. And he got heckled before he made any sort of stance, and that is why he made his stance, so you can't play that ignorant card either.

But that was the problem in itself. People (and by people i mean sensationalist media-tools) WERE saying its racist to boo Goodes. They were not saying you can boo him if he punches an opposition player, they were saying "booing him is racist". When its not. Booing someone could be for a million different reasons, but when they are all lumped into the racist pile, it de-values actual racism, such as not employing a person based on race, etc. If they were calling him a monkey like Eddy did or that young girl did, yeah thats **** and we need to stamp it out. But by saying he is now immune to criticism through booing, you make the person an exception to how everyone else is treated.

So, who made the decision that booing was racist anyhow?

Adam Goodes pulled the race card and declared it was because he was Aboriginal

He was targeted by the dirtbags who couldn't wait to get a kick in while he was lying on the ground.

Sounds like something Goodes would've done on the field except he would've been more subtle and dropped a knee into them to pretend it was an accident.

He engaged in far more dangerous behaviour than Goodes.

I know you can't wait for the day when you can tell your grandkids about that time with only 50,000 other people you bravely stared down a man waving an imaginary spear but belting an unsuspecting teenager is far worse than anything Goodes did on field.

So, why is it okay to boo Joel Selwood for perceived head-ducking yet Adam Goodes gets a free pass for sliding his knees into a contest (which he did repeatedly)?

I know which is more dangerous.

So, why is it okay to boo Joel Selwood for perceived head-ducking yet Adam Goodes gets a free pass for sliding his knees into a contest (which he did repeatedly)?

One is Aboriginal

One is not

The race card trumps everything

Selwood doesn't get booed relentlessly like Goodes was and now Selwood hardly gets booed at all. Goodes was booed because people didn't think he deserved Australian of the year and didn't like his speech because it challenged them.People prefer to think everything is ok and that the Indigenous rights cause is unworthy of national attention.

Selwood doesn't get booed relentlessly like Goodes was and now Selwood hardly gets booed at all. Goodes was booed because people didn't think he deserved Australian of the year and didn't like his speech because it challenged them.People prefer to think everything is ok and that the Indigenous rights cause is unworthy of national attention.
I dont like how you have decided, with no evidence, that "people booed Goodes beacuse of these reasons...". How do YOU know why people booed him?

Anonymous, gutless crowdnoise.

Go to any Hawthorn vs Geelong game and Selwood cops it every time he goes near the ball. I can't speak for other Geelong games.

Goodes was booed long before he won AOTY. The AOTY award came at least partly as a result of him standing up to racism, which he (we) should absolutely do, so it is patently incorrect to say that he wasn't booed until after that. He won his AOTY award after the incident with Collingwood teenager so he was clearly being heckled by the crowd before his award in 2014.

I am not suggesting that part of the heckling was not racially motivated but it is absolutely incorrect to state that everybody that booed Goodes is a racist.

I dont like how you have decided, with no evidence, that "people booed Goodes beacuse of these reasons...". How do YOU know why people booed him?
They were long pronouned boos and it was obviously a 'political' statement from most people, plus some mindless sheep who joined in.

I'm really interested in seeing the documentary. With every footballer supporter other than Sydney Swans supporters, being labelled racist given the AFL apologized for us all, I want to know where we went wrong. I never boo'ed Goodes because I couldn't be bothered but there were others who I just thought boo'ed him cos he was a campaigner who shitted people, with nothing to do with his indigenous background. I must be wrong. I boo'ed the umpires though so I guess the AFL can issue an apology on my behalf. And I boo'ed Ian Collins when he cost Chris Grant the 1997 Brownlow Medal. And I boo'ed a bouncer at the strippers in the 90's when he told me I had to give the cubic zirconia encrusted g string back to the lady who took it off and flung it at me.

Socrates2 serious question...does it go both ways then? Are we allowed to boo Gary Ablett Jr as a response to his homophobia?
No, give him a boo for the first game if you want ,because a star player promoting homophobia needs to be called out, but after that it's just bullying and victimization.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were long pronouned boos and it was obviously a 'political' statement from most people, plus some mindless sheep who joined in.

Oh, obviously. Why, how did i not know that???

Booo = regular dislike and Socrates-approved booing
Booooooooooo = obviously racist booing, person should be sent to Apartheid - South Africa.

the more "oooooo" in the boo the more racist it is.

do you hear yourself when you say these things?

No, give him a boo for the first game if you want ,because a star player promoting homophobia needs to be called out, but after that it's just bullying and victimization.

So overt and public homophobia from an alleged sporting role model is only punishable by one match of booing?

Then it is "bullying and victimization" of Ablett?

Interesting.

Adam Goodes has really created a big divide yet again with his sooky doco

So a shorter booing sound would have been acceptable? o_O
No not just that, it kept going week after week even after people suggested it was racist. It should have stopped after it became an issue, instead it got worse and some people were saying idgaf. It's a racist country now so what do you expect.
If there was genuine reconciliation, people would have said 'ok Goodes is respected Indigenous leader and Australian of the year and uses his profile to further Indigenous rights, he has said the boos are affecting him personally so we should stop'

So overt and public homophobia from an alleged sporting role model is only punishable by one match of booing?

Then it is "bullying and victimization" of Ablett?

Interesting.
Yeah, he apologized so move on. What did you want Goodes to apologize for?

Yeah, he apologized so move on. What did you want Goodes to apologize for?

I don't want Adam Goodes to apologise for anything. He doesn't owe anybody an apology.

I just want to be able to go to the footy without the AFL telling me I can't call an umpire a "green maggot" or a "bald headed flog." I want to be able to go to the football and cheer for my team, boo the opposition (as long as I don't swear, I am not racist or any other "-ist") and not be called a racist because I expressed my derision at a black footballer leading with his knees into a contest.

Last edited:
No not just that, it kept going week after week even after people suggested it was racist. It should have stopped after it became an issue, instead it got worse and some people were saying idgaf. It's a racist country now so what do you expect.
If there was genuine reconciliation, people would have said 'ok Goodes is respected Indigenous leader and Australian of the year and uses his profile to further Indigenous rights, he has said the boos are affecting him personally so we should stop'

Fair enough but that doesn't give him a get out of jail free card.

I accept (for want of a better term) that we are a racist country. I don't accept that everybody who booed Goodes is a racist.

Back