Hewitt vs Krygios+Tomic+Kokkinakis

Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs
I'm not really on either side but I've heard that Hewitt can come across as a bit of a DH (from people in Adelaide), but you only have to turn on the TV that Tomic also comes across that way.

Hewitt's deflection tweets (lets get behind the aussies still in the tournament!) reeks a little.

Last edited:
I'm not really on either side but I've heard that Hewitt can come across as a bit of a top bloke (from people in Adelaide), but you only have to turn on the TV that Tomic also comes across that way.

Hewitt's deflection tweets (lets get behind the aussies still in the tournament!) reeks a little.

I have no doubt that if Hewitt wasn't a sportsman himself, he'd be an exact replica of the dude with the sailors hat in the Fanatics squad!!

“The common denominator of these successes, along with the wonderful wins last night for Alex Bolt and Alexei Popyrin, has been each player’s unwavering passion to compete and their genuine love of the game, all underpinned by the Tennis Australia values of excellence, loyalty, teamwork and humility.

“Support and opportunities will be offered to players who live these values and demonstrate the commitment to maximize their potential, with our ultimate ambition being to develop and foster athletes we can all be proud of.”

Tennis Australia goes bang. I'd be happy if Kyrgios and Tomic faded away in obscurity.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Nah! Apart from Hewitt playing DC doubles, which I don’t agree with, it’s pretty simple really. Nothing to see. Hewitt prefers, and is prepared to put the time and effort into blokes who are prepared to train and play to their utmost ( De Minaur, Millman, Bolt etc ).

He’s employing a “no dickhead” policy, therefore Tomic and Kyrgios are on the outer, and a good thing too. Hewitt obviously isn’t prepared to waste his time and energy any more on blokes who aren’t prepared to do the hard yards. And that’s the way it should be.

Bernie’s version of honesty is generally a self serving one, and has been that way from even before Pat Rafter ran things.
Do you have inside info? If not what makes your opinion concrete?, you seem to be suffering from the "tomic is a w***er" syndrome and nothing he says matters. Just sweep it under the rug yeah nothing to see yeah?
He is a w***er and thats in concrete
Dont necessarily rate Tomic but the common theme again is TA having major governance issues. If TA like you, they will help but as has been shown if your not in the 'clique' you'll be on the outer. No doubting bernard and nick haven't helped their cases, but i still maintain TA has major issues. Its inability to deliver players at the top level over the past 15-20 years is nothing short of abysmal.
:thumbsu:
where is Craig Tiley CEO .in all this . a very well paid one

craig has been asked to do pressy , but wont , does not want to damage his image
Like Gill he only likes good news. Needs to step in

Remember when Lleyton was the dickhead? I dont agree with BOTH parties airing their laundry in public. Though now it has TA needs to step in.

If you want to play DC then put the hard yards in put your head down and reap the rewards. If you dont want to do the hard yards then dont make yourself available for DC . Cant complain you dont get picked if you dont want to play

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
They’re not selecting themselves in rep teams though

Tomic, Kyrgios and Kokkinakis have all made themselves unavailable or been unavailable through injury as far as DC is concerned.

I don't really recall any of them being snubbed. Maybe there was one tie where Kokkinakis was available and they picked an out of form Jordan Thompson instead.

Otherwise Hewitt has played doubles in ties where Kyrgios, ADM and Millman have been in the squad as singles players and those guys either can't play doubles or in Kyrgios' case doesn't have a body that can hold up over 3 DC ties in 3 days so needs to be held over for the singles ties.

So you basically get down to a choice of Hewitt, Thompson or Ebden to play doubles with Peers. Hewitt probably was the best option...

DC is a non issue in this argument IMO.

WCs and access to the TA development program may be. I personally had no problem with Kokkinakis being forced to qualify, he has had A LOT of WCs in the past, time to do it the hard way like players that aren't lucky enough to represent a country with a slam. Bernie has long been cut free, and with good reason, so couldn't care less what he says.

Apr 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton FC
Hewitt likely has issues when it comes to management of players. However can you imagine trying to manage immature headcases like Tomic & Kyrgios?

You couldn't pay me enough to have to deal with those 2 tossers.

I never really warmed to Tomic. Wanted him to do well when he was young. I have always liked Kyrgios or well tried to like him. I now have got to the point where I actually don't care/kinda hope they lose and I've always been pro Aussie no matter what when it comes to tennis so it is hard to think that way.

Lleyton gave it his all every single point. These 2 are an embarrassment. People may not like Hewitt but surely you have to respect him.

The other 2...How can anyone respect either of them.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Amazing Bombers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
At least Mitch Marsh seems a decent bloke as well.
Don't really want to get into this drama but Kyrgios has a few things off court that are reddeemable even though it's frustrating he hasn't made the most of his talent. The stuff with the Nick Kyrgios foundation is particularly heartening.
https://www.playersvoice.com.au/nick-kyrgios-ive-found-my-purpose/

For the first time, I feel like there is a reason for me to be doing what I’m doing. Tennis is a great life – we’re well paid and the perks are pretty good – but it can feel empty if you’re just doing it for the money.

I know what it’s all for now. You’ve probably heard me say a few times over the years that I don’t want tennis badly enough. But when I’m working on the NK Foundation and our Melbourne facility, I cast my mind forward to all the disadvantaged kids I’ll be helping. I’m playing for them now.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Tennis is a great life – we’re well paid and the perks are pretty good – but it can feel empty if you’re just doing it for the money.
And this is the exact reason why kyrgios will not achieve great things. You ask Federer, nadal, djokovic, murray, del potro, etc if they are in tennis for the money? It's about being the best they can be and in turn, being the best.

Sure the money is a payoff for success, but the best in this sport are not doing it for the money. The greats never do. Something else drives them. Kyrgios doesn't have that.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think this is all about wild cards. You get gifted a wildcard into a tourament thats a 50k pay day for you even if you lose 6-0, 6-0, 6-0.
75k now. Although I don't know how tax or other costs factor into this. Still a nice little payday which is your main point, and I agree with you.

As for the guys involved in this little drama, I don't know any of them personally, and I don't know what has been said among them, so it is difficult to judge who is the 'baddie' in the situation.

Of course, this isn't as fun as simply choosing to support whoever I 'like' (or criticise whoever I 'dislike').

I wouldn't be surprised if all three of them are actually good blokes, I wouldn't be surprised if all three of them are s**t blokes.

In any event, tennis at the top level is big business, and if you bite the hand that feeds you, eventually you will live to regret it.

Which is a shame, because I like it when people like Bernie tee off on mobs like Tennis Australia. Makes for much more entertaining pressers than, 'yeah credit to the boys...'

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
I'm with Hewitt here. He has the drive and work ethic of a maniac (and results) so if he was ever outspoken, at least he'd earned the right to be heard. Unlike Tomic and Kygrios who both come across as pretty average campaigners. Meanwhile, the Hewitt understudies/next gen Aussie males completely vindicate Hewitt. Hard work beats talent, still, post career.
They are far from average, in particular Nick but the personality and professionalism leaves a lot to be desired.

Seems Tomic is now as crazy as his father, who no doubt is mea culpa for the way Bernard is.

Neither are what I would want representing my country, with that attitude.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur

ozgamer

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Tennis Australia is one of the sports administrations in this country that like the sport it itself governs for the most part tends to get away without any serious scrutiny. Other than the Four Corners investigation of 2010, TA has for a long time been an untouchable organization.

The success achieved by Teflon Pat, Little Lleyton and Slammin' Sam have been a great distraction but they were rare and fleeting.

Other players that were then attached to controversy like Philippoussis, Dokic, again Hewitt (when he was at odds with TA), Tomic and Kyrgios have been the more ideal distraction for the little, grubby, dodgy shitshow that we call Tennis Australia. A convenient punching bag for the gutless wonders that we call "the media". These useless toothless tigers of our press are nothing more than glorified cheerleaders who wouldn't know what an investigation was if there was a customs officer and a rubber glove involved.

You can't just keep shoving Federer in our faces over and over or keep banging on about record attendances or other pointless rubbish and think that everything is okay. Coz it ain't.

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Kyrgios seems more or less like any cocky young bloke stuck in a job they hate except he can't actually get sacked, but Tomic seems like he's not all there upstairs. Just read this article:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01...rnard-tomic-of-blackmail-and-threats/10724688
The former world number one addressed the media for only the second time since he was strongly criticised by Tomic for his role as Australian Davis Cup captain earlier this week.
"The threats that I've received, for me and my family, that I've had for a year and a half now, I don't think anyone would reach out to a person who speaks like that," Hewitt said.
When asked whether he had received physical threats, Hewitt replied: "Both. Blackmail threats and physical."
Tomic told the Herald Sun earlier this week that he had threatened Hewitt two years ago he would "knock him out" if he tried to talk to him.
Suprised it hasn't made a bigger splash as it seems to me Hewitt is accusing Tomic of threatening his family which is getting into sociopathic territory. Matches up with him saying "I'll just drive my sportscar in Europe" when he lost his license a few years back.

Also have to laugh at Tomic whinging about Hewitt seeming to favour other players when he threatens to knock him out if he talks to him again. Hmm, you threaten to knock a bloke out and then he seems to not be going above and beyond for your career. Hope someone can help Tomic work that conundrum out.

On the one hand I'm willing to buy Hewitt is playing favourites possibly to an unprofessional degree, but in the case of Tomic I can't blame a bloke for blacklisting a guy who essentially poses a threat of physical violence in the workplace.

Last edited:

Wolfs

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 10, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies, Hertha Berlin
But I think what people are forgetting is that literally Matty Ebden hasn't been on Hewitt's side.

My feeling is simple either:
- Unretire and play doubles all you want
- Be Davis Cup Captain.

You don't see Mahesh Bhupathi playing doubles in GS or other events using a WC. He gives it to young players and I don't think you will see Mardy Fish coming back too

Tigerssaints

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
hobart f c
Tennis Australia is one of the sports administrations in this country that like the sport it itself governs for the most part tends to get away without any serious scrutiny. Other than the Four Corners investigation of 2010, TA has for a long time been an untouchable organization.

The success achieved by Teflon Pat, Little Lleyton and Slammin' Sam have been a great distraction but they were rare and fleeting.

Other players that were then attached to controversy like Philippoussis, Dokic, again Hewitt (when he was at odds with TA), Tomic and Kyrgios have been the more ideal distraction for the little, grubby, dodgy shitshow that we call Tennis Australia. A convenient punching bag for the gutless wonders that we call "the media". These useless toothless tigers of our press are nothing more than glorified cheerleaders who wouldn't know what an investigation was if there was a customs officer and a rubber glove involved.

You can't just keep shoving Federer in our faces over and over or keep banging on about record attendances or other pointless rubbish and think that everything is okay. Coz it ain't.
Spot ON , I have always believed TA and Tiley have been more interested in Building HUGE tennis centres thru out Australia .This at the expense of junior development .Look at Sydney.melb bris ,perth,Adelaide and even my home town hobart . My understanding is they are used for about 4 weeks over summer ,and in my case HBt , are then turned over for local tennis .We had no local players coming threw until i think Pat Rafter got involved
I sent twits to Tiley and 3 board members recently , and as expected heard nothing from them.i suspect Tiley ,( who suffers from small disease)
will go a vacant position on 1 of the international boards ?/

For all the fanfare celebrating Australia’s 15-year record for players through to the third round at the Aussie Open, the sad fact remains — Australian tennis may still needs its brats more than they need us.
In a tumultuous week of damaging headlines for Australian tennis, top male and female stars Alex de Minaur and Ash Barty have done everything they can to settle the rocking ship.
Coupled with the delightful runs of Alex Bolt, Kim Birrell and Alexei Popyrin through to the round of 32, they came dangerously close to deceiving some tennis commentators that all is well in Australian tennis.
It is not.
Australian captain Lleyton Hewitt’s bold campaign to usher in performance and behavioural standards — while the right move — has fractured the Aussie Davis Cup team.
Divided. Disgruntled. Bending. Breaking.
This is just the beginning.
Thanasi Kokkinakis’s reportedly sulking attitude at his selection snub from two years ago, Nick Kyrgios’s Instagram pot shots and the alarming lack of support from Aussie players for the Hewitt administration this week shows at least one section of Aussie players is going to have to be dragged kicking and screaming to meet the two-time grand slam champion’s demands.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/tennis...h/news-story/bba4e3f4b3b1947967c28ff482035f57

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

As Rhett Butler would say, frankly my dear I don't give a damn. If players don't want to play and/or are not prepared to meet the requirements to play, TA should not bend over backwards to get them in the team IMO. Fill the team with players with heart and integrity who work hard. If we lose, so be it. We are no guarantee to win with Nick in the team anyway. (The reverse also applies, if he wants to play and will do what is required, I have no problem with him playing).

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Though Davis Cup isn't the same anymore especially with the new format and ATP World Event. So interested to see how it works.

Yep, was just looking at the details for the qualifying tie in Adelaide and I see that it only runs over two days with play not starting until late afternoon :think: Have they changed the format? Adopted the Fed cup format perhaps?

Back