Hewitt vs Krygios+Tomic+Kokkinakis

Remove this Banner Ad

Hewitt is not perfect, far from it. I also believe he shouldn’t be playing DC doubles. However he’s got 10 times the character that Tomic and Kyrgios have. As far I am concerned they are both a cancer on Australian Tennis. They are I think, 26 and 23 respectively. They will never change their personalities or behaviour at this stage of their careers or lives. Both arrogant smartarses, both lack the work ethic to really fulfill their undeniable talent. Neither of them respond well to having their mistakes pointed out. They have no respect for anyone, or for the game of tennis. If I was Hewitt I would also have wiped them both, and wouldn’t bother watching their matches. Why bother with lazy, abusive douche bags like those 2.

I usually support Australian players unequivocally when they play; but in the case of Tomic and Kyrgios, I hope they lose every time. They are an embarrassment to Australia every time they open their mouths, on or off the court. Would be more than happy if neither represented Australia in DC again. I prefer guys of lesser natural ability, who are ready to give 100%, and are prepared to listen. Would also be more than happy if both their careers went into complete free fall, and we stopped hearing about them.

Not sure about Kokkinakis. He is a mate of Kyrgios, so in all likelihood shares his opinions to some extent. However he is not obnoxious like the other 2. Seems a pretty decent guy? He has also had a bad run with injuries. Hopefully he gets a clear run with injuries and fulfills his undoubted talent. Also hope he starts to choose his mates a bit better.

Hewitt has ten times the character?

I can't believe how forgetful Australian fans are, or choose to be.

Hewitt was every bit as bad as Kyrgios and Tomic in his early years. He was a dick, who was accused, amongst other things, of making a racial slur at James Blake during a match. He had run-ins with umpires, he refused to meet with Kyrgios when Krgios was first starting out (and Nick hadn't shown his bratty behaviour yet), and Lleyton's clashes with Tennis Australia over the surface of Rod Laver arena were legendary.

But then, Hewitt became a national hero overnight when he beat Pete Sampras in the U.S. Open final, and then won Wimbledon the next year. People jumped on the Hewitt bandwagon, because now we had a No.1 in the world and Grand Slam champion in our midst- a winner. Australia had had few Grand Slam champs since the halcyon days of Laver, Newcombe, Emerson and Hoad. So, one week, Lleyton yelling "Come On" was seen as arrogance, the week after winning the U.S Open, it now became a rallying cry. Just like that.

He even cheated on Kim Clisjers when they were engaged, with Bec Cartwright, but the media, who now loved Hewitt, covered up the scandal.

Of course, people like Todd Woodbridge and others won't even entertain the claims, because Hewitt is a fellow commentator and friend, and don't want things like professionalism and due diligence get in the way of sycophancy,

I don't know who to believe. Tomic has cried wolf too often. But I don't think Hewitt is blameless for three reasons:-

-I remember how Hewitt used to be, and wonder if he brought some of that into his coaching.

-Kokannakis is also saying it. Say what you want about Bernie and Nick, but Kokky hasn't been a brat, so maybe he should be listened to. He hasn't done this in the past, so why now, unless he has reason to? I notice that the media are starting to attack Kokannakis's character now, to protect their little media mate, Hewitt.

-The Davis Cup and selection has been rife with politics for years. Newcombe and Fitzy had disputes with players as well (I believe that Hewitt had an issue with Fitzy at one stage). So this is not new, and I think there is a clear divide between the old guard who can't let go, and step aside for the new guard. It seems a feud between the Legends and the newbies.

Hewitt has ten times the character?

I can't believe how forgetful Australian fans are, or choose to be.

Hewitt was every bit as bad as Kyrgios and Tomic in his early years. He was a dick, who was accused, amongst other things, of making a racial slur at James Blake during a match. He had run-ins with umpires, he refused to meet with Kyrgios when Krgios was first starting out (and Nick hadn't shown his bratty behaviour yet), and Lleyton's clashes with Tennis Australia over the surface of Rod Laver arena were legendary.

But then, Hewitt became a national hero overnight when he beat Pete Sampras in the U.S. Open final, and then won Wimbledon the next year. People jumped on the Hewitt bandwagon, because now we had a No.1 in the world and Grand Slam champion in our midst- a winner. Australia had had few Grand Slam champs since the halcyon days of Laver, Newcombe, Emerson and Hoad. So, one week, Lleyton yelling "Come On" was seen as arrogance, the week after winning the U.S Open, it now became a rallying cry. Just like that.

He even cheated on Kim Clisjers when they were engaged, with Bec Cartwright, but the media, who now loved Hewitt, covered up the scandal.

Of course, people like Todd Woodbridge and others won't even entertain the claims, because Hewitt is a fellow commentator and friend, and don't want things like professionalism and due diligence get in the way of sycophancy,

I don't know who to believe. Tomic has cried wolf too often. But I don't think Hewitt is blameless for three reasons:-

-I remember how Hewitt used to be, and wonder if he brought some of that into his coaching.

-Kokannakis is also saying it. Say what you want about Bernie and Nick, but Kokky hasn't been a brat, so maybe he should be listened to. He hasn't done this in the past, so why now, unless he has reason to? I notice that the media are starting to attack Kokannakis's character now, to protect their little media mate, Hewitt.

-The Davis Cup and selection has been rife with politics for years. Newcombe and Fitzy had disputes with players as well (I believe that Hewitt had an issue with Fitzy at one stage). So this is not new, and I think there is a clear divide between the old guard who can't let go, and step aside for the new guard. It seems a feud between the Legends and the newbies.
Not going to split hairs with you re the Hewitt-Blake incident., but I will say this. Hewitt actually accused a black linesman of favouring Blake because of his skin colour. Crass, deplorable, wrong comments; but hardly a racist slur. If it had happened in reverse I doubt if you or others would accuse Blake of being a racist.

Yes, Hewitt had his moments of bratishness, and I disliked him for it at the time. He also had his disagreements with Tennis establishment. However it was never/ever a constant festering sore, unlike that caused largely by Tomic and Kyrgios. Whatever Hewitt’s failings, one could never doubt his commitment and work ethic once he got on the court, unlike Kyrgios and Hewitt, who sulk and whinge, tank, and give far less than 100%. Good on Hewitt for enforcing the “no dickheads“ policy, and putting time and effort into blokes who are prepared to put in 100%.

You refer to Kokkinakis as if he is some sort of independent authority, without an axe to grind. He is a mate of Kyrgios, so no doubt shares his poisoned slant on things. He also apparently cracked the sads, big time when not selected for the DC 2 years ago, and hasn’t come to terms with it even now. So yes, he definitely has his own axe to grind.

You say it’s about time the old guard stepped aside for the new guard. If by new guard, you are referring to Tomic and Kyrgios, then god help Australian tennis. It would be an absolute disaster. The sooner those 2 piss off for good the better. As far as Kokkinakis goes, it’s up to him. The ball is in his court.

Last edited:
Not going to split hairs with you re the Hewitt-Blake incident., but I will say this. Hewitt actually accused a black linesman of favouring Blake because of his skin colour. Crass, deplorable, wrong comments; but hardly a racist slur. If it had happened in reverse I doubt if you or others would accuse Blake of being a racist.

Yes, Hewitt had his moments of bratishness, and I disliked him for it at the time. He also had his disagreements with Tennis establishment. However it was never/ever a constant festering sore, unlike that caused largely by Tomic and Kyrgios. Whatever Hewitt’s failings, one could never doubt his commitment and work ethic once he got on the court, unlike Kyrgios and Hewitt, who sulk and whinge, tank, and give far less than 100%. Good on Hewitt for enforcing the “no dickheads“ policy, and putting time and effort into blokes who are prepared to put in 100%.

You refer to Kokkinakis as if he is some sort of independent authority, without an axe to grind. He is a mate of Kyrgios, so no doubt shares his poisoned slant on things. He also apparently cracked the sads, big time when not selected for the DC 2 years ago, and hasn’t come to terms with it even now. So yes, he definitely has his own axe to grind.

You say it’s about time the old guard stepped aside for the new guard. If by new guard, you are referring to Tomic and Kyrgios, then god help Australian tennis. It would be an absolute disaster. The sooner those 2 piss off for good the better. As far as Kokkinakis goes, it’s up to him. The ball is in his court.

Being a sook and accusing a black linesman of favoring Blake is inferring that Blake is getting preferential treatment because of his color, which is a disgrace to say, and he is commenting about Blake's color as well.

Kokkinakis has a mind of his own, and I am sure that his grievances are his own. But keep drinking the Hewitt Kool-Aid.

I don't think Kokkinakis has his slant poisoned as much as the media has poisoned your mind and brainwashed into accepting their take on things (that Hewitt is an angel who is 100% right in all that he does), instead of you doing some research and reading about the charity work that Nick does, or things other than the negative slant that the media want to put to sell papers, or the defence of Hewitt's mates, like Woodbridge.

If Hewitt enforces a "no dickheads" policy, then what is he doing there?

The sooner you piss off posting here, the better.

Being a sook and accusing a black linesman of favoring Blake is inferring that Blake is getting preferential treatment because of his color, which is a disgrace to say, and he is commenting about Blake's color as well.

Kokkinakis has a mind of his own, and I am sure that his grievances are his own. But keep drinking the Hewitt Kool-Aid.

I don't think Kokkinakis has his slant poisoned as much as the media has poisoned your mind and brainwashed into accepting their take on things (that Hewitt is an angel who is 100% right in all that he does), instead of you doing some research and reading about the charity work that Nick does, or things other than the negative slant that the media want to put to sell papers, or the defence of Hewitt's mates, like Woodbridge.

If Hewitt enforces a "no dickheads" policy, then what is he doing there?

The sooner you piss off posting here, the better.
You were doing ok till the last line. If you cant handle an opposing view then maybe its you that needs to unwatch the thread

To Catter 070911

Gee, you’ve very quickly changed your apparently reasonable ( but erroneous ) original posting style, and reverted to a strident, nasty approach, which may in fact be your normal reaction when your views are challenged.

I already said Hewitt’s comments re Blake were crass, deplorable and wrong. They were not racist. Sorry to disagree with your narrative.

Kyrgios’s charitable work is admirable. Unfortunately in my view, to date, his negative traits and behaviour outweigh the positive ones.

Never said Hewitt was perfect. If you had bothered to read my posts properly it was pretty obvious that I have some criticisms of him. However I would back him in every day of the week over your 2 douche bags. You, on the other hand seem to have an irrational, deep seated hatred of the little champ.

At the risk of raising your blood pressure levels further, I “will not piss off posting here” , but will continue to post when and where I choose. Can’t see any problem with that, as long as I don’t breach BF guidelines. But I certainly won’t be dictated to by yourself. Might be best if you block me if my posts disagreeing with you cause you such angst.

Last edited:
To Catter 070911

Gee, you’ve very quickly changed your apparently reasonable ( but erroneous ) original posting style, and reverted to a strident, nasty approach, which may in fact be your normal reaction when your views are challenged.

I already said Hewitt’s comments re Blake were crass, deplorable and wrong. They were not racist. Sorry to disagree with your narrative.

Kyrgios’s charitable work is admirable. Unfortunately in my view, to date, his negative traits and behaviour outweigh the positive ones.

Never said Hewitt was perfect. If you had bothered to read my posts properly it was pretty obvious that I have some criticisms of him. However I would back him in every day of the week over your 2 douche bags. You, on the other hand seem to have an irrational, deep seated hatred of the little champ.

At the risk of raising your blood pressure levels further, I “will not piss off posting here” , but will continue to post when and where I choose. Can’t see any problem with that, as long as I don’t breach BF guidelines. But I certainly won’t be dictated to by yourself. Might be best if you block me if my posts disagreeing with you cause you such angst.

I don't have a hatred of Hewitt. What I do hate is the revisionist history many people in Australia have of Lleyton Hewitt, forgetting that he too was once just as bratty as either of the "2 douche bags".

But people love a winner, and once Hewitt won the U.S. Open and became No1 in the world, people's "moral compass" against him came secondary to jumping on the bandwagon of a winner.

It is things like this that make me question people being genuine when they speak about player behaviour. If many can just drop their stance once the player in question starts winning (and we know how Australians love winning above all else) then I wonder if, say Nick Kyrgios won a Grand Slam title, and started getting to Semi-Finals and Finals, if the Australian media and public will suddenly forget Nick's indsicretions, and hypocritically jump on the Kyrgios bandwagon instead, pretending that they were on his side all along.

Hewitt is now a media darling, and his mates are coming out and defending him, instead of seeing if there is anything to the claims. If Hewitt hasn't done anything wrong, and Tomic is wrong, then Hewitt has nothing to fear about his role being investigated.

I agree with Pat Cash in all this. He says that the claims should be checked out, and see if they have substance or not. But what Woodforde and others are doing is discrediting those who make the claims, without seeing if there is any truth to it. Maybe Hewitt is too intense when he coaches, and may need to improve in areas. Maybe his coaching needs to be reviewed. In fact, I think Tennis Australia need a review done on its entire running, similar to reviews that AFL clubs go through, to see where things can be improved.

I have noticed that Hewitt was sitting in Alex DeMinar's box, but not some other Australian players' boxes. He may have been invited by DeMinar. But it does support Kokkanikissis' theory that Hewitt will go and see some players, and ignore others. Now, maybe he has a reason for this (he might be commentating other games when Australians are playing, but was free to watch DeMinaur), but this is where a review of the situation has to happen, and Hewitt explain why he doesn't spend as much time with some players as opposed to others. It might be all innocent, but until the claims are investigated and dealt with, they won't just go away (unless the media bury them to stop an investigation into their little mate).

I notice Kyrgios do some commentary the other night. I wonder if his role increases in this, if he will suddenly be more painted by the media as some golden boy as well, if he became one of them?

I already said Hewitt’s comments re Blake were crass, deplorable and wrong. They were not racist.
Lol yes they absolutely were. He was implying that the linesman was unprofessional by favouring others of his skin colour. If you can't see the racism in that then I can't help you, sorry.

Hewitt doesn't pick Ebden.

Poor Ebden. Doesn't get pick for speaking out

Lol yes they absolutely were. He was implying that the linesman was unprofessional by favouring others of his skin colour. If you can't see the racism in that then I can't help you, sorry.
That’s ok. No need to be sorry. I’m fine, but appreciate your concern. Hewitt was actually accusing the linesman of being racist, which was crass, deplorable and wrong. What you’re in effect saying is that it’s racist to accuse someone of a different skin colour of being racist. Or does the fact that he was wrong, even though he may have thought he was justified, make his comments racist? If that’s the case, then a lot of posters on BF are in trouble. They routinely call other posters”racist”, generally without any foundation at all.

I also said that if the situation was reversed would people such as yourself accuse Blake of racism? I very much doubt it. In fact I’m almost certain of it. That just wouldn’t fit the narrative would it?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So whats the latest on this saga? I wonder if the lawsuit has begun yet.
Googled to try and find out and found this 2014 article:
https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...k/news-story/6d3571b1cc19fa221f82a7d125576055
Bernard Tomic’s father John Tomic ordered to pay compensation to former hitting partner Thomas Drouet after headbutt attack

Tennis ace Bernard Tomic’s father Ivica ‘John’ Tomic and former tennis hitting partner Thomas Drouet have settled their long running criminal and civil cases.
And it won’t come cheap for Tomic, who will be told next week to stump up as much 300,000 euros ($435,000 AUD) compensation to Drouet.

It began on a tennis court before moving to a law court but in the end a suburban GP’s surgery below a dull block of flats was the most unlikely of settings to end one of professional tennis’ most violent disputes.
Tomic Snr had already been found guilty in a Spanish court of having headbutted the Frenchman Drouet to the ground unconscious outside a hotel in Madrid last year and had been handed an eight-month suspended jail sentence.

But the angry tennis dad had refused claims for compensation for the significant injuries his son’s former tennis trainer suffered since the May 2013 assault.

While I can't stand him, doesn't seem poor Bernard really had much of a chance with who his old man is.

Last edited:
What a horrible person Hewitt is.
Kokkinakis and Kyrgios are both small, spoilt children.
Kyrgios is an irredeemably self obsessed narcissist, Kokkinakis may become a second rate tennis player, if he can look past his himself.

Tomic is an total embarrassment to Tennis itself, specifically Australian Tennis, a little behind Philippoussis, himself a disgrace to Australian Tennis, but without any actual achievements.

Australian tennis has pandered to dubious "potential future championship" with European backgrounds for far too long.

The game has obviously been hijacked by a small minority of self interested parties.

australian tennis has pandered to dubious "potential future championship" with European backgrounds for far too long.
Please. Hewitt had issues with Tennis Australia as well. Stosur has a European background. Same as de minaur. I'd say the problem is more TA than anything else. Kyrgios acted like a spoilt brat when he was a junior and ta did nothing to stop his behaviour at that point because they saw his potential.

Please. Hewitt had issues with Tennis Australia as well. Stosur has a European background. Same as de minaur. I'd say the problem is more TA than anything else. Kyrgios acted like a spoilt brat when he was a junior and ta did nothing to stop his behaviour at that point because they saw his potential.
Agree.
TA Pandering to "possible talent"
In Aus Tennis, the tail wags the dog.
Trouble is we have s**t, self interested, second rate tail.

Kokkinakis and Kyrgios are both small, spoilt children.
Kyrgios is an irredeemably self obsessed narcissist, Kokkinakis may become a second rate tennis player, if he can look past his himself.

Tomic is an total embarrassment to Tennis itself, specifically Australian Tennis, a little behind Philippoussis, himself a disgrace to Australian Tennis, but without any actual achievements.

Australian tennis has pandered to dubious "potential future championship" with European backgrounds for far too long.

The game has obviously been hijacked by a small minority of self interested parties.

Yeah, European background has got diddly squat to do with it. What about Hewitt and his brattish behavior in the past and don't forget Nick also has Malaysian background so what does that tell you? (Hint: nothing). Jelena Dokic had a European background and she was pretty well behaved (not talking about her dad). I don't see Kokkinakis as behaving that badly, he is very frustrated with his injuries I think and therefore not happy and will be grumpy from time to time. How would you explain Jordon Thompson's bad behavior? He has become a serial racquet dropper and a sometimes racquet smasher, also doesn't mind an argument with the ump.

Bernard Tomic has continued to paint himself as tennis's biggest bad boy in an astonishing reaction during a TV interview.

The 26-year-old recently sat down with 60 Minutes reporter Allison Langdon for a tell-all segment that will go to air on Sunday night.

In a preview for the interview, Tomic appears to give Ms Langdon a taunting wink after she calls him a 'brat'.

'The problem you have is that people don't like you,' Ms Langdon said.

'You're seen as lazy, selfish - a brat.'

BBSYIUm.img
© Provided by Associated Newspapers Limited The 26-year-old recently sat down with 60 Minutes reporter Allison Langdon (pictured) for a tell-all segment that will go to air on Sunday night
The interview will follow a controversy-laden Australian Open, during which Tomic levelled several accusations against Davis Cup captain Lleyton Hewitt.

Tomic savaged his former mentor moments after he was bundled out of the competition in the first round against Marin Cilic.

He questioned Hewitt's motives for captaining the Davis Cup team and said many in the tennis community disliked the former grand slam champion.

'It's all Lleyton. I'm going to say it honestly - no one likes him anymore,' he said.

Tomic claimed other players, including Nick Kyrgios and Thanasi Kokkinakis, no longer wanted to play the Davis Cup under the former grand slam champion.

He later confirmed to The Herald Sun that he sent threatening texts and emails to Hewitt.

'Two years ago, I said "If he ever tries to talk to me, I'll knock him out",' Tomic said.

A fired-up Tomic didn't stop there and taunted the grand slam champion 'to come one metre from me if he is a man'.

Tomic's father told the Sydney Morning Herald Hewitt pressed his son to come clean and tell him who in Tennis Australia didn't like him.

BBSYIUo.img
© Provided by Associated Newspapers Limited The 60 Minutes interview will follow a controversy-laden Australian Open, during which Tomic leveled several accusations against Davis Cup captain Lleyton Hewitt (pictured together)Hewitt later claimed Tomic had threatened his wife and children.

He said there was no chance of reconciliation between the pair.

'No. I think the threats that I've received, for me and my family that I've had for a year and a half now - I don't think anyone would reach out to a person that speaks like that,' said Hewitt, who didn't go into specifics about the alleged threats.

Tomic insists he didn't threaten Hewitt's family.

This week, Hewitt said he would not waste any more time on the ongoing feud.

Instead, the Davis Cup tennis captain will choose to focus his attention on the upcoming doubles match against Bosnia and Herzegovina on Friday and Saturday.

Slide 1 of 22: GOLD COAST, QSL - APRIL 19: Junior tennis player, Bernard Tomic of Australia poses at home with his trophies on April 19, 2006 on the Gold Coast, Australia. (Photo by Jonathan Wood/Getty Images)
Next Slide

Wow.. do you think the australian public will ever support Tomic again? I guess so once he strings together a few wins in a slam...all will be forgiven!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back