Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
A taunting wink eh?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...nting-wink-upcoming-60-Minutes-interview.html

With all due respect, 60 Minutes jumped the shark as a serious current affairs show a long time ago. If Allison Langdon was blah-blah-blah-ing, "The problem you have is that people don't like you. You're seen as lazy, selfish - a brat", I would take the piss out of her too :rolleyes:

I wonder how much Bernie's getting paid for this and what his old man's cut is?

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Bernard is just a moron, plain and simple, he clearly doesn’t know any better.

Can you imagine John Tomic home schooling Bernard as a 14 year old? The result is a kid of incredibly limited intelligence.

I don’t agree with everything going on with Hewitt and I liked Wally putting Hewitt back in his place there.

But I just laugh at Tomic, he has the IQ of a 12 year old.

Lleyton's appointment reminds me of Voss's appointment - should have stepped out of the game for awhile before taking the job. Certainly shouldn't pick himself in the team. The only difference is that Tennis Australia is in bed with Hewitt and even if they're wrong they wouldn't admit. Conflicts of Interest everywhere at Tennis Australia.

Please note: I think that both Hewitt and Tomic are tools of the highest order.

ozgamer

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Lleyton's appointment reminds me of Voss's appointment - should have stepped out of the game for awhile before taking the job.

Voss was already retired for 2 years in that time doing media work for TEN as well being an assistant coach for the AFL-AIS Academy. So not exactly the same analogy but I do see your point (He should've taken that assistant coach job @ WCE). There was no official process in place to appoint an coach and in Hewitt's case he was being groomed to be DC captain long before he hung up the racquet.

If TA wasn't making a s**t ton of money from a successful AO every year, there would've been a senate inquiry into these bastards a long time ago.

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Wow.. do you think the australian public will ever support Tomic again?
When did the Australian public ever support Tomic? What reason would they have ever had for supporting him?

I guess so once he strings together a few wins in a slam...all will be forgiven!
First of all, he is incapable of stringing a few wins together in a slam. He's had one win at a slam in the past 2 years. He's made a QF just once in his pathetic career and that was 8 years ago. We won't be forgiving s**t.

Sep 29, 2009
Belgrave
AFL Club
Geelong
Australian tennis spent nearly two decades in search of the most psycho transpanted Euro Dad. It didn't matter whether the kid was any good. What mattered was that the experiment would damage the Australian tennis brand. They have had a few beauties, but Tomic Snr seems to be the Bradman of this lot. And it doesn't matter how much damage they or their offspring cause, the door is always open for them to do more! Just ask the head of Tennis Australia.

Last edited:

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
So did anyone actually watch the interview? I gave it a wide berth, too cringey for me. If anyone watched it, was there anything new/noteworthy from it?

I learnt nothing knew.

Both Tomic's are clearly idiots, I came to the late realisation about 12 months ago that neither are very bright and Bernard also lacks any what I would call 'street smarts' so just struggles with anything off the tennis court.

I will always defend Hewitt but suspect that he may have 'bullied' him somewhat but where the truth ends and the lies start with Bernard is hard to tell. To be honest if that is all they have on Hewitt they are kidding themselves. How it would go down in court room I don't really know.

I do get a bit annoyed when people group Kokkinakis in with Kygios and Tomic. Outside being friends with Nick, Kokkinakis hasn't done anything wrong but the media seem to like to mention them as a group of trouble makers.

I was really dissapointed with Wally Masur. He didn't say exactly this but bassically said Hewitt cant rule anyone out of Davis Cup as he reports to me. I think as Captain Hewitt can, if Tennis Australia want Tomic in the team then they move Hewitt on. It felt to me like Masur was sitting on the fence which I think with Bernard now is the wrong approach.

Where does it end with Bernard, who knows. With his ability and ranking he can hang around the tour for a while longer. I think running out of money should be his biggest concern. I have always thought Bernard would be a perfect candidate to be involved with some kind of match fixing but it would be good to fast forward 10 years to know how life after tennis has played put for him.

the universal

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Bernard is greatly lacking in social skills to the point that I almost feel sorry for him, and outside of tennis he's likely to struggle through the daily grind. The money won't last forever.

With that said, the quality of the interview was predictably poor - 'people don't like you, you're selfish, you're a brat' just reeks of gutter journalism, it's ACA standard.

Mar 25, 2008
Victoria's Secret HQ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just watched the interview online. Should've been shown on A Current Affair with some dickhead chasing the Tomic's down the street with a funny voice and a couple of camera men behind them.

Its not too hard to read between the lines and see Bernie is a bit of a flog who was brought up by a flog and unfortunately Bernie has some problems upstairs and that doesn't sit well with Lleyton who wants Australia to be successful at tennis and is frustrated that a bloke with so much 'potential' has pissed it up against a wall because if his attitude. I'm sure Lleyton's not a saint but he is the DC captain for a reason and should have a fair old say around the culture and ultimate success of Aussie DC tennis. Sometimes people like Tomic, who may be the best player, can ruin a team if they are in it. Best thing for Bernie to do would be to distance himself from his dad at a tennis level. The guy can play, I reckon he's been badly advised/mentored by his old man who thought he knows it all.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
I learnt nothing knew.

Both Tomic's are clearly idiots, I came to the late realisation about 12 months ago that neither are very bright and Bernard also lacks any what I would call 'street smarts' so just struggles with anything off the tennis court.

I will always defend Hewitt but suspect that he may have 'bullied' him somewhat but where the truth ends and the lies start with Bernard is hard to tell. To be honest if that is all they have on Hewitt they are kidding themselves. How it would go down in court room I don't really know.

I do get a bit annoyed when people group Kokkinakis in with Kygios and Tomic. Outside being friends with Nick, Kokkinakis hasn't done anything wrong but the media seem to like to mention them as a group of trouble makers.

I was really dissapointed with Wally Masur. He didn't say exactly this but bassically said Hewitt cant rule anyone out of Davis Cup as he reports to me. I think as Captain Hewitt can, if Tennis Australia want Tomic in the team then they move Hewitt on. It felt to me like Masur was sitting on the fence which I think with Bernard now is the wrong approach.

Where does it end with Bernard, who knows. With his ability and ranking he can hang around the tour for a while longer. I think running out of money should be his biggest concern. I have always thought Bernard would be a perfect candidate to be involved with some kind of match fixing but it would be good to fast forward 10 years to know how life after tennis has played put for him.

I see the Masur comments as semantics. Technically I suppose Lleyton can't rule out a certain player but would Wally and Craig Tiley want him in the team anyway if Lleyton doesn't and given the way he's behaved, trashed TA in general etc.? Plus if it was Lleyton or Tomic (ie. Lleyton would quit if they overruled him) I'm sure they'd choose Lleyton as the lesser of two evils. Added to that is the fact that it's essentially a moot point at the moment given Bernie's ranking etc.

I noticed that Kokkinakis tweeted some positive things to the Davis Cup team after their win on the weekend. Thanasi does not see stupid to me and he's not as immature as the other two. He may well have cause to be annoyed with Hewitt and TA but he's not dumb enough to let it effect him unduly I don't think. I've said it before, I suspect every Australian player would have had cause to be annoyed at non-selection at some time or another but smart people don't burn their bridges.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I see the Masur comments as semantics. Technically I suppose Lleyton can't rule out a certain player but would Wally and Craig Tiley want him in the team anyway if Lleyton doesn't and given the way he's behaved, trashed TA in general etc.? Plus if it was Lleyton or Tomic (ie. Lleyton would quit if they overruled him) I'm sure they'd choose Lleyton as the lesser of two evils. Added to that is the fact that it's essentially a moot point at the moment given Bernie's ranking etc.

I noticed that Kokkinakis tweeted some positive things to the Davis Cup team after their win on the weekend. Thanasi does not see stupid to me and he's not as immature as the other two. He may well have cause to be annoyed with Hewitt and TA but he's not dumb enough to let it effect him unduly I don't think. I've said it before, I suspect every Australian player would have had cause to be annoyed at non-selection at some time or another but smart people don't burn their bridges.

Yeah I agree with all that. Cahill is working closely with Kokkinakis this year, he is a sensible guy, if he hasn't already he will resolve any rift with Hewitt and Kokkinakis.

Kyrigios is interesting, he is playing Doubles at a Challenger event this week which I guess means he is getting back out on the tour. I think he and Tennis Australia will always have a love / hate relationship. Unlike Tomic, I think both know they kind of need each other at least for a few more years.

Just on the interview and reading social media this morning, I think people need to remember Channel 9 and not putting anything to air to damage Tennis Australia's or some of the key people's brand and reputation. With that in mind it was always going to be a nothing story as Tomic was getting paid for it as well

OffTheBit

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Met Bernard out after hours one night in a cosy little establishment located a few stone throws from Southern Cross Station. Seemed like a good bloke, shouted me a few wet pussys and lit my dart for me every time the filter hit my lips. Think a lot of the sagas are overplayed and driven by the media, which is no surprise

ozgamer

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Best thing for Bernie to do would be to distance himself from his dad at a tennis level. The guy can play, I reckon he's been badly advised/mentored by his old man who thought he knows it all.

Understatement of the century. He coached Bernie on the back of reading many books about tennis.

And then there's this:

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
The fact that a 26 year old Tomic had his dad sitting next to him in that interview says enough to be honest.

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I cringe when I see tennis parents watching their son or daughter play. Do they not have a life of their own? Do they really have to watch every match at every major tournament? Do they REALLY have to go to Melbourne, Paris, London and New York EVERY single year? And probably a number of other big tournaments too I presume? Are they wanting to make sure they never let their gravy train out of their sight?

If you are 25 and have yet to cut the umbilical cord, you can bet I judge you and your sycophantic* parents. (*trying to think of a better word)

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
The fact that a 26 year old Tomic had his dad sitting next to him in that interview says enough to be honest.

Didn't they have a falling out a while back because basically Bernard cannot access his money because John controls it? These type of parents are horrible and I feel sorry for Bernie in that respect. He needs to cut ties with his father like Dokic did to have any hope for a 'normal' life as a functioning adult. Not easy to do though I am aware of that.

I remember reading about how Judy Murray made a conscious decision when Andy and Jamie were in their teens to stop coaching them and seek out alternative coaches as she believed it was essential for their development on all levels. If only all parents of sporting prodigies were this sensible and selfless.

Reynolds Number

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Stoke City, Dortmund, San José, As
Understatement of the century. He coached Bernie on the back of reading many books about tennis.

And then there's this:

He is a proper flog. I cringed at that and feel sorry for McEnroe.

Back Pocket Rocket

Premiership Player
Aug 3, 2005
Twolves, Burnley, Canberra Raiders
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Burnley
FWIW Tomic is obviously on the Autism Spectrum thus struggles with social etiquette and any form of freedom which being a millionaire in your 20's would bring. Add that to the fact that he was brought up by a psychopath dictator and it was always gonna be a recipe for disaster

bullish23

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2002
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
I never ever though Tomic had the game to be top 5, almost from the time I first saw him. He was quite unorthodox but had no big weapons from what i could see. I just remembering thinking at the time, that stuff may work in the juniors, but over 2 weeks in a slam, was no chance.

Kyrgios was different, he had the serve and the shots, but his attitude will mean he will never make it. All this summer he kept saying ‘when I’m feeling good I can beat anyone’. But that’s exactly why he won’t make it. There will always be one or two matches over the 2 weeks, when you’re not on, but just have to battle thru. Forget Nick ever winning those matches.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
FWIW Tomic is obviously on the Autism Spectrum thus struggles with social etiquette and any form of freedom which being a millionaire in your 20's would bring. Add that to the fact that he was brought up by a psychopath dictator and it was always gonna be a recipe for disaster
I wouldnt diagnose AS just on his lack of social cues

That can be a lot to do with the 2nd part. The constant tennis tennis tennis mantra, the training and the sole focus on that may mean he missed a lot of those cues you learn

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Tomic in the Singles and Hewitt in the Doubles (with Popyrin) this week in New York. It's a big city but a fairly small tournament so they may well cross paths at some point in the locker room.

Back