treeman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
It's the best of 5 set matches that Kyrgios loses concentration in.

Until he can snag some of those matches he's not officially back.

Having said that Davis Cup is best of 3 now right?
So may be handy... But we have other good players too without him now.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

This guys the funniest campaigner going around. Wins a tournament, proceeds to tell people he's come along well and having the time of his life. Two days later spits the dummy because he doesn't get a white towell?:tearsofjoy: You can't make this s**t up. Has a crack at the umpire '' I *en knew it.....blah blah blah......I don't give a * bro '' :tearsofjoy:constantly calls chair umpires bro etc. The in the same match tries to underarm serve Edmundwho saw it coming then chuckles. This guys *en gold. Comedy!!!!!

Fresh off winning the Citi Open in Washington DC two days ago, Nick Kyrgios began his Rogers Cup campaign in Toronto by absolutely melting down over not having the towel he wanted.

Playing England's Kyle Edmund, Kyrgios apparently asked the chair umpire for a specific towel just ahead of the match.

When he still didn't have the towel at a change of ends some time later, the Australian lost it, zeroing in on chair umpire Adel Nour.

"I can not leave the chair and go get you a towel," Nour told him, with Kyrgios responding: "you have a radio. You have a radio."

John Horn@SportsHorn

https://twitter.com/SportsHorn/status/1158877856119906305

Nick Kyrgios getting into it with chair umpire Adel Nour about towels... NK saying he asked for a white towel & didn't get it...Drops a few curse words in the process & gets a code warning #ATP #NK19

7:09 AM - Aug 7, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

See John Horn's other Tweets

With his mind all over the place, Kyrgios was broken before the correct towels were eventually delivered.

MONTREAL, QC - AUGUST 06:  Nick Kyrgios of Australia holds his towel in his mouth against Kyle Edmund of Great Britain during day 5 of the Rogers Cup at IGA Stadium on August 6, 2019 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.  (Photo by Minas Panagiotakis/Getty Images)
© 2019 Getty Images MONTREAL, QC - AUGUST 06: Nick Kyrgios of Australia holds his towel in his mouth against Kyle Edmund of Great Britain during day 5 of the Rogers Cup at IGA Stadium on August 6, 2019 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. (Photo by Minas Panagiotakis/Getty Images)"Before it started I asked for a white towel, why did it take so long?" he fumed.

"You couldn't radio the phyiso, 'hey I need a white towel? Physio I need a white towel."

See Javier Ginés's other Tweets

Keeping his cool, Edmund held his nerve and served out the opening set in just 29 minutes.

Unsurprisingly, Kyrgios was hit with a code violation for the back and forth.

Dan Stobbs@Stobbzy

https://twitter.com/Stobbzy/status/1158879558545891328

.@NickKyrgios being a fantastic role model as ever
🙄

Can’t believe it took this long for the umpire to issue him with a code violation. #CoupeRogers #NickKyrgios

Embedded video

7:16 AM - Aug 7, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

See Dan Stobbs's other Tweets

Kyrgios was still fuming in between sets and after a few drops of rain appeared in the skies, he asked Adel to get down from his chair and make sure the court was still safe to play on.

Not long afterwards, Kyrgios faked an underarm serve attempt, but Edmund saw it coming and the Aussie saved a couple of break points to stay on serve.

146 people are talking about this

Just to add to the drama, rain became heavier at 4-4 in the second set and play was suspended.

Even then, Kyrigos was still angry about the towel situation, mentioning it again to Nour.

Kyrgios' towel meltdown comes just two days after he claimed the Washington Open, later saying he had "made great strides" during one of the best weeks of his life.

Predictably, he was copping it on social media.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
'' Call of Duty has ruined me '' Claims Krygios

Nick Kyrgios was left complaining about his poor eyesight at Arthur Ashe Stadium after losing both the first and second sets in tiebreaks against unseeded Russian Andrey Rublev the US Open in New York.

Claiming he "can't see" due to apparently playing too much of the video game Call of Duty, Kyrgios directed his comments into the crowd after taking Rublev to the brink in the first set.

Kyrgios didn't drop serve in an impressive opening set, sending down 18 aces, but was heard talking to himself in the wake of losing the tiebreaker. "Brutal, brutal," he muttered.

The crowd warmed to the combustible Australian, who appeared focused and determined, as the pair traded service games in the second set, to force another tiebreaker.

"Call of Duty has ruined me, I can't see a thing," Kyrgios repeated. He eventually succumbed 7-5 in the second-set tiebreaker – the same score as in the first.

Earlier, boom youngster Alexei Popyrin smashed his racquet in anguish after his gallant US Open run came to a gut-wrenching end at Flushing Meadows.

The Australian was unable to contain his frustrations after failing to serve out a titanic fourth set in a 6-4, 6-4, 6-7 (3-7), 7-6 (7-2) third-round loss to Italian Matteo Berrettini on Saturday night.

Popyrin was hoping to reach the last 16 at a grand slam for the fourth time and was left shattered at falling short after battling for more than three and a half hours against the 24th seed.

The 20-year-old appeared to lack energy in the opening two sets, Berrettini breaking once in each to assume control.

The Italian also conjured a multitude of break points with Popyrin serving at 2-2 and 4-4 in the third set.

:tearsofjoy:

Back