Current Trial Hey Dad

Remove this Banner Ad

To do so would be a system which ignores rehabilitation, specific deterrence and protection of the community, focusing entirely on retribution.

Sentencing is incredibly complex; every offender is different, and there are few crimes (especislly in sex offences) which are truly the same - each has its aggravating and mitigating circumstances.

I hear you, but its very hard to say the example i used a couple of posts back does not represent a far more serious crime.
Or is it a case of the victim was already damaged so it doesn't matter as much?

I hear you, but its very hard to say the example i used a couple of posts back does not represent a far more serious crime.
Or is it a case of the victim was already damaged so it doesn't matter as much?

No, certainly not that.

However, from what I can tell from that article, those people were lesser offenders than the father, who created the opportunity for the offending. That is somewhat different to creating opportunities to offend yourself, as Hughes did.

Keep in mind that Hughes also had four victims (one as young as 6), denied the offences (rather than pleading guilty), repeatedly offended against some victims over the course of years, engaged in persistent and calculated offending for more than 20 years, etc.

The individual acts were not as serious as the ones by the offenders (other than the father) in that article, but there were more of them, against more people and over a much longer period. That elevates the seriousness of his offending.

The detail of some of his offences is also quite serious - charges 5 & 6 in particular are awful acts.

Word is that today went well for Victoria (and therefore not so well for Hughes).

Judgment will be handed down tomorrow.

Tipping that the appeal will be allowed in relation to the inclusion of the older complainant, but hoping that they will side with Vic on the broader principles.

Unfortunately there will likely be multiple separate judgments, so it will be a slog to get through.

Scumbag coming up for parole.

Victims are fearing reprisals. Apparently he has never admitted guilt. I presume any parole board would not let him out, if he doesnt acknowledges what he has done and is remorseful for his actions.

Sarah Monohan, my understanding lives permanently in the US, she doesnt have an issue if he is paroled but under the condition he admits to what he did and is sorry.

Scumbag coming up for parole.
2.5 years later.
He's coming out.
And being deported to the UK

'Last week, Hughes's lawyer petitioned a Sydney court for his release for the third time, saying the disgraced actor plans to "maintain a very low profile" in the UK.

His first available release date is June 14.

Hughes will be subject to the standard parole conditions, including that he must be of good behaviour.

He is also subject to an additional requirement that he "must not be in the company of a person under the age of 16 years unless accompanied by a responsible adult," nor engage with any person under the age of 16 "in written or electronic communication," including through social media.

The ABC understands Hughes will be transferred from Long Bay Correctional Centre to Villawood Detention Centre ahead of his deportation.'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back