FTA-TV Hey Hey It's Saturday Is Back

Remove this Banner Ad

We watched it last night even though the stupid 7+ app broke on us a couple of times. But it was an enjoyable look back at the show. The only thing that struck me was the total absence of Denise Drysdale as she was a co-host for a number of years. We saw her in a few montages, but no video clip or chat with her. That seemed odd to me unless Somers and Drysdale are not talking anymore.

she hasn't been well. (plus works for ch 10)

"everyone" loves Dave Hughes*

*allegedly. (never met any of these people)
I have had interactions with Hughes on Twitter and found him to be a bit of a moron to the point where I ended up blocking him. He really isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. That part's not an act.

"everyone" loves Dave Hughes*

*allegedly. (never met any of these people)
I saw him headline at the Comics Lounge handful of years ago. He was actually not bad. A s**t tonne better than Lehmo anyway /shudder

My two cents re the show saw it last night (in its rightful timeslot )

- lmao at Cate Blanchette doing red faces. Dont think ive ever heard her admit to that funnily enough
- no real mention of Denise was strange
- too much "not enough time to cram 30 years into 90mins" well no der if you keep on crapping on about it
-lovely to see Wilbur, John and Molly
- Kylie flashbacks were unreal. She's a god damn hottie

They should do more of these. I reckon break them down into specific specials eg. "Hey Hey Red Faces", "Hey Hey the Big stars", local acts, etcetc would be fantastic and see more footage rather than montages.

I saw him headline at the Comics Lounge handful of years ago. He was actually not bad. A sh*t tonne better than Lehmo anyway /shudder

My two cents re the show saw it last night (in its rightful timeslot )

- lmao at Cate Blanchette doing red faces. Dont think ive ever heard her admit to that funnily enough
- no real mention of Denise was strange
- too much "not enough time to cram 30 years into 90mins" well no der if you keep on crapping on about it
-lovely to see Wilbur, John and Molly
- Kylie flashbacks were unreal. She's a god damn hottie

They should do more of these. I reckon break them down into specific specials eg. "Hey Hey Red Faces", "Hey Hey the Big stars", local acts, etcetc would be fantastic and see more footage rather than montages.

It was a big Ad for a paywall subscription site where you can see everything.

But that’s ok, I still enjoyed it

It was a big Ad for a paywall subscription site where you can see everything.

But that’s ok, I still enjoyed it

I can just listen to Hey Hey It's The Podcast for free for an equal amount of nostalgia

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A product of its time which can work both ways. The special itself seemed forced in parts but there was some gold in there also. Some of the current day celebrities who went on Red Faces was funny. Have to say that John Blackman looked very ill though.

One thing which the demise of HHIS was disappointing for was the end of an outlet for local/overseas music acts to play live (yes - many were mimed) on TV. The end of Countdown really reduced the potential for acts to get a look in on prime time TV and HHIS was pivotal at the time for keeping that outlet for exposure. Take Weddings Parties Anything for example. Their first performance on the show is also one of the rarest - the only video available where poor Mick and the band aren't showered in ten cent pieces during this song:

A product of its time which can work both ways. The special itself seemed forced in parts but there was some gold in there also. Some of the current day celebrities who went on Red Faces was funny. Have to say that John Blackman looked very ill though.

One thing which the demise of HHIS was disappointing for was the end of an outlet for local/overseas music acts to play live (yes - many were mimed) on TV. The end of Countdown really reduced the potential for acts to get a look in on prime time TV and HHIS was pivotal at the time for keeping that outlet for exposure. Take Weddings Parties Anything for example. Their first performance on the show is also one of the rarest - the only video available where poor Mick and the band aren't showered in ten cent pieces during this song:

And the said video is…..blocked

another special tomorrow night "Hey Hey It's 100 Years" (confusing title) airing in Melbourne & Adelaide on Easter Sunday and other states the following week.

Also Red Faces specials coming...

I subscribed to hey hey tv only $6.95 wanted to try it out

you can watch episodes in full from the 70s till the 2000s not bad loved watching hey hey back in the day
Edit: dw I subscribed :)
Edit: darn can't find James Reyne Rip It Up on there

Can you search it? I remember a great version of this on there

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back