FTA-TV Hey Hey It's Saturday Is Back

Remove this Banner Ad

I seem to remember a similar outrage when Sam Newman did a "black face" impersonation of Nicky Winmar.

Channel 9 should have learnt from that fiasco.

That was different. He was in effect having a go at Winmar directly for not appearing on the show. It was an impresonation directed at the person themselves.

This one was parodying the Jacksons - the fact they were black, not white, in not part of the act or the intention.

seriously Amercians telling us off about racism, what next Zimbabwe having a crack at us about human rights

hehe yeah. Its a bit like reformed smokers, Americans telling us not to be racist.

You do realise that their method of doing this was racist? You can perform as a black person without being offensive.
There is a difference between the old shoe polish method and a legitimate artistic method like that in Tropic Thunder.
Im happy to see Hey Hey in trouble, anything that could make it less likely to come back is good.

Harry needs to get off his high horse. Those performers idolise MJ and were just paying a tribute to the man. So they painted their face black? Who cares? The guy was born ****in black!

Some people are just so precious that if someone says something or performs in a way that slightly resembles racism, they get deemed a racist and looked down on. I bet even my first paragraph will have some precious souls calling me a racist. :rolleyes:

Idiotic move by the producers. Regardless of how offensive you personally think it is, the outcome of showing something like this with an American celebrity guest on the panel was a forgone conclusion.

Blackface is a massive no-no in American entertainment, has been for decades. Every time somebody tries it on they get universally hammered.
What about Tracey Ullman

hey hey takes me back to my childhood

i dont think they should bring it back permanently though, just a bit of nostalgia. personally ive moved on from tv

not to sound facetious or anything, but you could see the amount of cosmestic surgery that has gone into some of the cast. the ones that wanted to look like how they did 10 years back...

footnote - for everyone complaining why they shouldnt bring hey hey back. hey hey still exists in a certain capacity with the influence it has on shows such as Rove Live and Good News Week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harry Connick Jnr. is a dolt. Who the **** cares.

Give the morons zero, air your grievances to management off camera, take your money, and **** off. One week he's bitching about Hugh Jackman, the next this trivial bullshit.

We live in such a PC society now, it's absolutely ridculous. Every week there's some pithy like thing the PC soldiers are up in arms about. And even more ridiculous is that these trivial little issues more often than not garner more attention that actual issues. Go figure.

I am just wondering whether straight actors should be allowed to camp it up to play gay characters? It seems odd that you can take on physical stereotypical mannerisms but not physical appearance.

If you take on that appearance and make fun of the subject, then it might be contrued badly, but paying tribue to them is another thing entirely.

What I don't get - Harry blows up over the white guys painting thier faces black but says nothing about the Indian painting his face white to look like MJ? Isn't that the same thing.

What I don't get - Harry blows up over the white guys painting thier faces black but says nothing about the Indian painting his face white to look like MJ? Isn't that the same thing.
The issue is the cultural connotations attached to blackface (in the US in particular). While it's conceptually no different to a black person 'whiting up' for example, it's a lot more racially charged due to the history surrounding it.

Whether that's 'overly PC' or not is a separate debate. In practical reality it's just one of those cases where a particular meme has become so intrinsically linked to a negative usage, that it's pretty much impossible to use it without giving rise to negative connotations. Think swastikas, for another loosely related example.

The issue is the cultural connotations attached to blackface (in the US in particular). While it's conceptually no different to a black person 'whiting up' for example, it's a lot more racially charged due to the history surrounding it.

I'm a big fan of having one rule for all. No excuses, no race cards - one rule for all.

I'm a big fan of having one rule for all. No excuses, no race cards - one rule for all.

In a perfect world yes, but that will never happen.

The biggest problem was the producers and Darryl no understanding that it would be extremely offensive with an American judge on the show. If HCJ wasn't on the show I doubt this would have gotten much of a mention. Maybe people would be commentating about a "bad taste" skit instead of a "racist" skit which is being mention worldwide today.

In a perfect world yes, but that will never happen.

The biggest problem was the producers and Darryl no understanding that it would be extremely offensive with an American judge on the show. If HCJ wasn't on the show I doubt this would have gotten much of a mention. Maybe people would be commentating about a "bad taste" skit instead of a "racist" skit which is being mention worldwide today.

Then why the charade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back