FTA-TV Hey Hey It's Saturday Is Back

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 10, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bushrangers
Nice to see Joy Behar is still as ignorant as ever. She said "The Aborigines, they don't treat them very well."

That woman obviously knows absolutely nothing about human rights in modern day Australia...
It wouldn't surprise me if she didn't know who the current prime minister is, or what the capital city of Australia is. :rolleyes:
They seriously think Australia is just a place of desert plains - one of the articles referred to Australia as "kangaroo land".

It would probably help if these US commentators knew the full story though. They seem to think this was some sort of comedy skit when it was simply an America's Got Talent-style sing and dance routine, which explains why it wasn't funny.

Bill O'Reilly also said it was 5 white guys performing which isn't true - they were of varying multi-cultural backgrounds. That doesn't excuse things, but if Australia was as racist as the US make out they wouldn't have tolerated "non-whites" being in the studio ;)

Interesting to know what would happen if the performers wore masks of each member of the Jackson 5 instead of painting their faces black.

crownie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
5) Shame on anyone who thinks this is a storm in a teacup. What society do we live in when this type of behaviour is either excused or tolerated. How ignorant must we be to not know that 'blackface' is a vile act and the reminder of a bygone era where racism was just allowed, it was indoctrined into society.

Harry Hypocrite spoke his mind and Darryl apologised, now way the issue was big enough to go global and dominate the news for 3 days with people in other countries claiming the whole of Australia to be racist when the intentions were light hearted and not meant to be racist in the first place.

Apr 23, 2009
Barcelona, Catalonia.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Penguins, Aston Villa, Adel Utd.
who cares about the racism controversy? The real story was how good Jo Beth Taylor looked

ooh yeah!
She has put some meat on but in all the right places. She might be completely stark raving mad but tape her mouth shut and she would be good to go.

Saigan

Team Captain
Mar 13, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tigers
How *ing stupid.... GO are showing both shows back to back Saturday night. Thats 6 hours of Hey Hey:confused: Have they lost the plot:confused:

Wait a week show one EP then in two weeks show the other. Fair dinkum they are clowns:thumbsdown:

mantis

Hall of Famer
30k Posts 10k Posts
Mar 9, 2001
Away from redneck country
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bombers
Mant, what did she say:confused:

Can't say verbatim, but the gist of it was, the other three panelists were bagging it & Australia as a whole, bringing our treatment of Aboriginals into it. Whoopi butted in & said that we have a different culture & way of looking at things & she doubted it had racist overtones, just a comedic tribute to the Jackson Five & was OK.

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
Can't say verbatim, but the gist of it was, the other three panelists were bagging it & Australia as a whole, bringing our treatment of Aboriginals into it. Whoopi butted in & said that we have a different culture & way of looking at things & she doubted it had racist overtones, just a comedic tribute to the Jackson Five & was OK.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPNiEKcka_w

Look out how we treated of Aboriginals?

Wow, maybe she'll be so kind next time and give us our some tips on how to treat indigenous people. Americans were very good at it I hear. :thumbsu:

mantis

Hall of Famer
30k Posts 10k Posts
Mar 9, 2001
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bombers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPNiEKcka_w

Look out how we treated of Aboriginals?

Wow, maybe she'll be so kind next time and give us our some tips on how to treat indigenous people. Americans were very good at it I hear. :thumbsu:

It's a pity you don't have a video link to the next bit of that segment, that was on CH7 news, showed where she defended Australia & the act as non racist.

smoovy

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2007
God's country
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NAFC AUFC
Surely for an individual or an act to be called racist there must be some underlying intent.

What was the intent of the red faces performance?

I thought their intent was to mock someone who had changed their appearance significantly over the years, not to mock the colour of black people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mantis

Hall of Famer
30k Posts 10k Posts
Mar 9, 2001
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bombers
Surely for an individual or an act to be called racist there must be some underlying intent.

What was the intent of the red faces performance?

I thought their intent was to mock someone who had changed their appearance significantly over the years, not to mock the colour of black people.

Yep, it was sending up a celeb who was obsessed with changing his appearance, nothing to do with racism.

I'm well known as a lefty on BF, yet I didn't see anything wrong with it.

Mind you I didn't watch the show, as I got sick of it ages ago, just going by the video I have seen of the incident.

dj21

All Australian
Mar 5, 2003
AFL Club
Essendon
The thing that gets me is the UK and USA are more than happy to confront racism in australia, half the world away from there own little bubble of a world and where they know there isn't going to be any backlash or sensitivity amongst their follow countrymen.

Blacking up still happens in the USA and UK and they are just deflecting by focussing on 1 aussie incidence. They need to grow a pair and take a good hard look at them selves. Here is a couple of UK clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrGJRCb0d0I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gjhQLlP6Ng

And as for "hey, hey, no show" in the states, obviously doesn't watch SNL where a comedian wore make-up to impersonate Barrack Obama. Or Sarah Silvermans show where she did a skit in blackface. Or the one i find most offensive:
http://www.hecklerspray.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/jolie-pearl.jpg

There aren't too many leading roles for dark skinned women in hollywood and when one comes along it goes to ANGELINA JOLIE IN MAKE UP!

But you won't see that on The View or any 24hr cable news networks.

Bombers_Forever

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2003
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Seattle Mariners and Seahawks
The worst part about the overseas "critics" having a go at this is they don't understand Hey Hey Its Saturday, its humour etc. If they watched the full show, someone would be offended because they all take pot shots at each other.

Apr 10, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bushrangers
How *ing stupid.... GO are showing both shows back to back Saturday night. Thats 6 hours of Hey Hey:confused: Have they lost the plot:confused:

Wait a week show one EP then in two weeks show the other. Fair dinkum they are clowns:thumbsdown:
Yep, very stupid. For the people that missed both episodes and want to see them, they expect them to watch it all in one go?

Who's that chick on the Plucka Duck segment?

Chief Ten Beers

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
How about the fact that the USA is the home of rap music which to me is offensive, degrading to women, and uses 'racist' language.

That is a really, really dumb comment to make. I'm not even into a lot of this music but it's pretty obvious that not all rap is degrading or uses offensive language.

They have a word for this by the way:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotype

Remove this Banner Ad

Back