Universal Love HEY! How you doin? Covid-19 Mental Health Check

Remove this Banner Ad

As a Mental Health worker i still am in a job for now but have stressed as to what will happen if i don't get re hired at the end of the financial year when my contract runs out. No job and i end up homeless pretty much. My partner is currently still living overseas and has been in isolation for the last month with little financial support. The hospital policies around covid change daily and everyone i work with is confused as to what restrictions to follow as different areas seem to follow different protocols. I can't believe how many clinical staff are in denial about this and aren't using common sense.

SA COVID-19 Mental Health Support Line 8am to 8pm1800 632 753Beyond Blue1300 224636

One day at a time peeps. Love to everyone and don't let the media * with your heads.

Great thread.

Looking after your mental health during tough times takes work, it doesn't just happen. If you don't make a conscious effort to keep on top of things, you'll find yourself not coping pretty quickly.

One thing I reckon helps is to look after yourself physically - make sure you're eating well, getting regular exercise, keeping a good sleep schedule. Mental health and physical health are more closely linked than a lot of people realise.

Another thing is to shorten your time horizon. Take each day on its own merits and don't worry about tomorrow. Anxiety is a future oriented mindset so get yourself out of that mindset as much as possible.

Hope everyone is doing OK. Let's all spend as much time talking s**t on here as we can.

Last edited:

I miss the social aspect of work and I miss the pub. This is s**t. I'll be fine but I can't stop thinking about the first pint, the first big catch up with the pals. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

keeping a good sleep schedule.
I am toast.

My family received the best possible news this week. I've mentioned in another thread that our autistic son was hospitalised last August, following behavioural issues at home, which I won't go into again. Yesterday, after 7 long months, we received the news we've been waiting for - he'll be moving into his own home within the next few weeks.

As a health care worker, I still have a job which I'm grateful for and I do feel for everyone that has or is losing their jobs, who have families to feed and look after. Hearing a few stories from patients that have had it hard so far even just old patients trying to shop for groceries just really hard to see how this virus has put everyone on edge.

But nevertheless, I'll do my part and also hear the patients out as well and try to provide some helpful advice as well with anyone here. Stay home, wash your hands and look after yourselves and your families.

My main concern is my mom. The rest is ok, besides the challenges.

Farmers won't stop working, so our business is still on. Market is a mess, though — but that's the life of a farmer anyway.

Kids are at home, which is stressful. I joke that if my marriage survive this, it will go on forever!

My family received the best possible news this week. I've mentioned in another thread that our autistic son was hospitalised last August, following behavioural issues at home, which I won't go into again. Yesterday, after 7 long months, we received the news we've been waiting for - he'll be moving into his own home within the next few weeks.
Happy for you mate, something good coming through this difficult time.

So far, So good. Live in the country on small acreage so its in some ways probably easier here. This toilet paper drama is starting to give me the shits though ;)

Like Gremio my main concern is my mum also. Severe kidney issues, if she gets this it will pretty much finish her off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of days ago, a mate told me that his mother-in-law had got pneumonia and died. He lives in the UK, so his wife can't go back to Brazil. Even if not corona related (I don't know), the pandemic forbids them to say goodbye. Tough.

Last edited:
A couple of day ago, a mate told me that his mother-in-law has got pneumonia and died. He lives in the UK, so his wife can't go back to Brazil. Even if not corona related (I don't know), the pandemic forbids them to say goodbye. Tough.

That’s awful for your friend man. Get him on here and we’ll support him!

Hey Port Board peeps or anyone else out there,

This thread is for you.

To talk about the challenges we are all facing and to maybe offer some tips for people that are struggling. There is no judging and no having a crack at how other people are coping. We are all doing our best and we'll have up days and down days we all will. So come in here vent and let loose in a judgement free environment. There are threads about Ken (#sackhinkley) threads about the virus itself, it's growth etc and peoples thoughts on that, there are threads about everything and everything but this thread is a safe space to support each other! I've got mates as we all have that are struggling and people that are strangely lapping it up.

We are all in this together even if you hate celebrities like I do.

Peace
Hats off to you Eddie Dingle for creating this thread for us much needed and much appreciated mate thank you.

Going from being a family of three with two full time workers happy in jobs they enjoy, with a two year old son enjoying two days in child care, two with his grandparents (who adore him) and three with his parents each week to three weeks later one parent stood down, the other reduced to 60% hours and now a son out of childcare and no longer able see his grandparents has been tough beyond words. The last week has been dark sometimes. The last few days have been a bit better.

What is one of the toughest things for me, has been none of the usual outlets you have when you have a bad day. No sport. I love my NBA, EPL and was looking forward to footy no end, regardless of the clubs current situation. I missed a decade of going to games with my dad and brother due to living overseas and have reconnected with that over the last few years, and loved it. No watching Liverpool win its first title in 30 years. No just watching games of NBA no matter who it is. I just love Basketball. Some say pffft its just sport, but it means a lot to me. To have none of this is ****ed.

Going for a beer with friends, day trips with my partner and son. Just regular s**t that has been taken away.

Months and months more of this crap. * that.

I was made redundant last November and since then have been a mature age student cherry picking his courses online.
Covid-19 has made little difference to my student lifestyle but unfortunately the wife was stood down this week.
She however got a phone call today and was told that her company qualified for the jobseeker thingo, so she will still get paid.

Still annoyed that my daughters education in NSW has been deferred, but that will sort itself out, its nice to have her home again.
My sons girlfriend got a job because of whats going on now, so she is fortunate.

Spoke to my parents today and they are well.

A couple of weeks before the Covid thing started this dude joined our family so spirits are high.
One day at a time. Very happy that I have Bigfooty to read each day.
I think our Discord game commentary went ok in Round 1, so another silver lining there.

Now I better practice what I preach and get some sleep :)

IMG_1386.JPG

Happy for you mate, something good coming through this difficult time.
It's a white house, so we've joked to family and friends that he's moving into the White House. Our other son was far from impressed - he scoffed, "Pfft: if he moved into the White House, he'd be impeached in 5 minutes." :)

Honestly completely hit a wall two and a half weeks ago - I felt really dark. Seeing the pandemic progress so rapidly, and seeing nothing but job losses on the news, was driving me nuts. I was watching all the job losses on the news and thinking "that could be me tomorrow." Doing ok now though. I work in the banking industry (not in a branch role), and my job and that of my colleagues appears safe at the moment.

The person I'm really worried about is my girlfriend. Like me she is safe for now in regards to employment, but she's been struggling with the restrictions to daily life. She can struggle with anxiety and sometimes panic attacks because of a bunch of s**t in her past, so the current situation is driving her nuts. Trying my best to keep her spirits up.

Great thread Eddie.

My partner has lost her job for now but mine’s pretty secure so we’ll be fine from a financial perspective. Tbh that’s taken most of the sting out of it for us and we’re really grateful for that. All we’ve had to do is just throw out our plans for this year and go along with it.

Main worry is family. My Nonnas are in their 80s and 90s, her Papou is late 80s and smoked most of his life, I doubt any of them would make it if they got the virus. I know they’re near the end as it is but I want as much time for them as possible of course, at least until my son is old enough to remember them. They’ve all expressed a similar sentiment in their own ways.

Oh and if you still have grandparents ******* call them, often.

This, it’ll make all the difference to them and if they can access video calls even better. Our boy doesn’t know it but he’s a mental health care worker now and his job description is just doing adorable s**t on a live cross to the oldies. It flips their whole day, can’t get enough.

Honestly completely hit a wall two and a half weeks ago - I felt really dark. Seeing the pandemic progress so rapidly, and seeing nothing but job losses on the news, was driving me nuts. I was watching all the job losses on the news and thinking "that could be me tomorrow." Doing ok now though. I work in the banking industry (not in a branch role), and my job and that of my colleagues appears safe at the moment.

The person I'm really worried about is my girlfriend. Like me she is safe for now in regards to employment, but she's been struggling with the restrictions to daily life. She can struggle with anxiety and sometimes panic attacks because of a bunch of s**t in her past, so the current situation is driving her nuts. Trying my best to keep her spirits up.

It sounds silly but I find games are a great distraction. Card games, board games, video games, whatever piques her interest. Just put the phones in another room and have fun. We played backgammon the other day, it was my first time playing against someone who wasn’t either a child or a pensioner lol.

It sounds silly but I find games are a great distraction. Card games, board games, video games, whatever piques her interest. Just put the phones in another room and have fun. We played backgammon the other day, it was my first time playing against someone who wasn’t either a child or a pensioner lol.
Video games, Netflix and books for my GF and I. We also have her dog, who always provides plenty of reasons to smile :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back