Universal Love HEY! How you doin? Covid-19 Mental Health Check

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is this guy the biggest flog in all of history?

He has always given me the impression he is an absolute rabbit who gets off by ridiculing or bullying those weaker or less fortunate than himself.
He is the campaigner's campaigner, but there has to be something about the way the spoken and visual media is controlled in this country that allows a dickhead like him to continually push the envelope of what is acceptable behavior, and still survive!

He has always given me the impression he is an absolute rabbit who gets off by ridiculing or bullying those weaker or less fortunate than himself.
He is the campaigner's campaigner, but there has to be something about the way the spoken and visual media is controlled in this country that allows a dickhead like him to continually push the envelope of what is acceptable behavior, and still survive!

That he's been paid handsomely for years to be an utterly garbage human being is a blight on society as a whole.

Say what you like about the Australian government, but I'm currently finding it hard to say a bad word about them - given the extraordinary amount of money being given to my son under the NDIS scheme. He's now settled in his new home, and his carers are going to great lengths to make him as comfortable as possible. They couldn't find the remote control for his TV on Monday night, so they went and bought him a brand new TV.

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Say what you like about the Australian government, but I'm currently finding it hard to say a bad word about them - given the extraordinary amount of money being given to my son under the NDIS scheme. He's now settled in his new home, and his carers are going to great lengths to make him as comfortable as possible. They couldn't find the remote control for his TV on Monday night, so they went and bought him a brand new TV.
The treatment from the provider might be something to do with the recent death of Ann Marie Smith and the complete lack of care received from her NDIS provider.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The NDIS is very hit and miss. For every success story like yours there's fights to not provide/minimise money provided. There was a massive underestimation of the need for it. The biggest underestimation was around those that are ASD.

The treatment from the provider might be something to do with the recent death of Ann Marie Smith and the complete lack of care received from her NDIS provider.
That's true, but we're still very impressed with how well he's being cared for. It's reduced my wife to tears.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Put him and Eddie McGuire in a cage fight to the death.

Tredz

Club Legend
Apr 30, 2011
Brisbane, QLD
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Utah Jazz

Free speech and a free media is critical to a free and democratic society so I'm not an advocate of forcefully removing him from the airwaves. I'm more concerned that there is audience for his sophomoric drivel. If he had no audience those who advertise on his shows would evaporate quickly and he would no longer have a platform to spruik his idiocy.

Free speech and a free media is critical to a free and democratic society so I'm not an advocate of forcefully removing him from the airwaves. I'm more concerned that there is audience for his sophomoric drivel. If he had no audience those who advertise on his shows would evaporate quickly and he would no longer have a platform to spruik his idiocy.

Is biased media pushing an agenda for a political party, which inturn can mislead peoples perceptions tolerable however?

Modern times have shown fake imagery and misleading messaging against either political parties to be false and misleading.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
In the old days that’s how it was for everyone in the workforce.
Work home bed that’s it people did that day in day out for 40 plus years.
The way that industrial relations has gone since the Howard days this will become the new norm again sadly.

I thought in the old days it was more like work, come home, have the woman have food ready, eat food, go to the pub with mates, come home, everything at home is already taken care of, sleep, repeat.

Its the early stages of turning the NDIS into another 'not enough' service. Had to put cash in the pot to make the privatisation pill easier for the public to swallow, but in truth Australia's being suckered into another limited income that can be wrecked over time, instead of providing a reasonable universal service to the vulnerable.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Its the early stages of turning the NDIS into another 'not enough' service. Had to put cash in the pot to make the privatisation pill easier for the public to swallow, but in truth Australia's being suckered into another limited income that can be wrecked over time, instead of providing a reasonable universal service to the vulnerable.
A lot of it is stupidly short sighted. Whilst parts of the NDIS are providing services to those most vulnerable, that always will be vunerable, a large part is also providing support to those under 18 on a time limited basis. A lot of this is giving kids with issues support so they can fit into mainstream society without or with only needing limited support as adults.

I consider myself Centre-Right, so I always look at issues from both a moral and economic point of view and the whinging about 'they never had Autism when I was a boy!' that's very prevalent around the NDIS (although it applies across many childhood NDIS interactions) particularly riles me. Not just that I have two boys with ASD who have interacted with NDIS in the past, but that even if people don't consider it a moral obligation of a well off Western society (which I do for all NDIS, whether it'll ever help someone get to 'job ready' or just for dignity everyone deserves), that money invested for 5 - 10 years in a kid gives a high chance of turning them into a functioning member of society that will pay taxes for 40 - 50 years as an adult, versus being welfare dependent and/or consuming huge costs with mental health or police/prisons because they never got the support when younger.

From a purely cynical 'I only care about the money' point of view, any NDIS money pumped into kids is going to have a cost / benefit ratio significantly in favour of doing it and the most cold hearted bastards should be strongly for it for that reason alone, if nothing else. These people can't see though there's the initial cost now and the benefit (tax paying adult versus tax costing adult) is not something you'll ever be able to neatly list figures against though.

[/End Rant]

Chokito

Club Legend
Aug 28, 2014
Perth WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats
How is everyone going? Feeling a bit better now that some restrictions have been lifted? WA has finally lifted it last intra-state restriction, allowing travel up to the Kimberley region. As of tomorrow pubs and cafés etc. will have capacities lifted to 100 people. All in all we are actually progressing quite well - probably better than I would’ve predicted. I read that travel to New Zealand from each capital city would probably be able to be lifted next month, while Australian interstate travel still will stay restricted until probably Sept.

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
To be honest the piecemeal lifting of restrictions is so confusing around the country, I'm basically still staying at home. Not keen on battling big crowds in shops and the like just yet.

Looking forward to being able to travel interstate but have no idea when this will be possible.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
To be honest the piecemeal lifting of restrictions is so confusing around the country, I'm basically still staying at home. Not keen on battling big crowds in shops and the like just yet.

Looking forward to being able to travel interstate but have no idea when this will be possible.
It'd be simple if Victoria wasn't still having so many cases. They are stopping borders opening here and the Trans-Tasman bubble with NZ.

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I turn 57 in a couple of months time, after being made redundant last October I've spent the last 9 months studying to get new skills to get back to work, but I'm now not sure if I'll ever work again. I'd never really been out of work more than a few weeks before, but now its become "normal".

If I do get a job, am I preventing someone younger from building a career?
Do I really want to deal with cubicle life again?

My wife is a few years younger than me and goes to work 5 days a week.
I feel guilty as hell about not doing the same.
We are ok financially but have to be frugal while there's only one income.

Is 57 too young to become a full time house husband and dog minder?
Every time I try to get study done in the morning the dog gets bored and destroys something.
We got the dog in Feb and its very used to having our attention.
I get angry at the dog for wanting my attention but start questioning why I'm trying to push myself with the study.

Its nice having footy back but jeez I feel lost.
I'd love to hear from others in a similar situation.

Last edited:

Of the many factors that you have to weigh up about whether or not to go back to work, this should not be among them even a little IMO.

Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest
I turn 57 in a couple of months time, after being made redundant last October I've spent the last 9 months studying to get new skills to get back to work, but I'm now not sure if I'll ever work again. I'd never really been out of work more than a few weeks before, but now its become "normal".

Every time I try to get study done in the morning the dog gets bored and destroys something.
I get angry at the dog for wanting my attention but start questioning why I'm trying to push myself with the study.

I took an early retirement package at the age of 58 and had similar feelings as you. I did a tax course 12 months later and started working seasonally after that. I was then asked to extend my contract beyond the tax season and worked during the off season as well as delivering training this year. For the upcoming tax season I was offered a Managers role but I told them I have had enough of managing people. I would rather it be someone elses problem.

I still get a fair amount of time to myself during the year so I can help out with the grandkids and maintain the house but the office environment has been great for me.

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I stopped work about the same age and kept an open mind about going back, but have found I like having control of my own time. My situation is very similar to yours, I just found I'd had enough of the daily grind. I managed to avoid feeling guilty but of course the current situation makes everyone's financial security a little more shaky. I don't think I'd go back now though. I did have some thoughts of study but realistically I thought I wouldn't have done anything with additional qualifications if I had them. I think I just developed an allergy to work.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Of the many factors that you have to weigh up about whether or not to go back to work, this should not be among them even a little IMO.
Absolutely.

A better question would be, by going back to work, am I going to be able to impart what Ive learned to younger people and help them build their own careers?

MrMeaner

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I know someone who has to periodically get a doctor's certificate to confirm that, yep, their kid's leg has not grown back.

I'm generally an anxious person thinking of what could go wrong so was quite stressed by the whole situation a month or so back. I'm now reasonably comfortable with where things are going ... lots of credit to how Australia has handled the issue in general, but I believe our geographic isolation has helped.
Work wise I haven't been impacted, albeit I occasionally work a day from home,... but I'm utilizing the downtime on weekends (not being able to go out) going bush-walking with the Mrs to help her with the situation and working on my ISO-project/moneypit ... a port themed virtual pinball cabinet, which I'm finding a lot of fun .. currently mocking up artwork for the cabinet. Software is configured and ready to go, and the actual cabinet is close to ready for assembly. (work in progress- ignore my sh*t graphics skills, I'm just using powerpoint to get a concept)
View attachment 867971

Made a little progress over the past months, although work has been getting in the way.

1594783176458.png
1594783210547.png
1594783249633.png
1594783342614.png
1594783437782.png

Back