Hey true blue, is it me and you? Citizenship and the Constitution.

What Should Joyce Do?

• Step down from parliament, the rules are quite clear.

Votes: 54 77.1%
  • Step down from the ministry, nothing has been confirmed yet.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Business as usual, NZ is just an Australian territory anyway, right?

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Abstain from all future parliamentary votes, or risk future legislation being deemed illegitimate.

Votes: 6 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

At this point in time why aren't we pushing for a referendum to amend section 44 at the time of the next Federal election?

Two birds with one stone and I am confident a big majority of Australian voters would like to end this farce. I have enjoyed Barnaby Joyce being disqualified but I agree with those that think it's too harsh for someone born in Australia to Australian-born parents to have unknown dual citizenship and fall under s.44.

At this point in time why aren't we pushing for a referendum to amend section 44 at the time of the next Federal election?

Two birds with one stone and I am confident a big majority of Australian voters would like to end this farce. I have enjoyed Barnaby Joyce being disqualified but I agree with those that think it's too harsh for someone born in Australia to Australian-born parents to have unknown dual citizenship and fall under s.44.

Can we also have a referendum to excuse and exonerate any poor old citizens who likewise screw up their ATO/ASIC/Centrelink paperwork?

Generally referendums don't succeed. And all it will take is an appeal to the "you can't trust dual national" argument.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find that decision harsh. What is she supposed to do, not work in a government job on the hope that she gets called up? She met the criteria when the election was understood to be complete, took a job after losing, quit the same job to take up the nomination...

Yeah haven't looked at the details but seems Bartlett IS in the same boat

If we can't have a referendum on indigenous recognition, they can f*** off with one that exists solely make politicians' life a little easier.

I find that decision harsh. What is she supposed to do, not work in a government job on the hope that she gets called up? She met the criteria when the election was understood to be complete, took a job after losing, quit the same job to take up the nomination...
I am a little baffled as well. At what stage of an election cycle are you deemed to be clear of any obligations? ie if the vacancy occurred a month before an election the assumption is the seat would hold over until the GE (correct? ) so any employment would be able to be cleared in the appropriate time. That Hughes vacated her appointment within 45 minutes of her eligibility must fall into a similar boat

If a person dies do all possible candidates have to resign before that person dies?

None of their dual citizenship is Unknown after a 5 minute google search.

I am a little baffled as well. At what stage of an election cycle are you deemed to be clear of any obligations? ie if the vacancy occurred a month before an election the assumption is the seat would hold over until the GE (correct? ) so any employment would be able to be cleared in the appropriate time. That Hughes vacated her appointment within 45 minutes of her eligibility must fall into a similar boat

If a person dies do all possible candidates have to resign before that person dies?
I think the argument the court is using is that the election is incomplete as an ineligble person was voted in. Therefore by taking up the job while the election was still open she is ineligible. Of course, what about every other member of parliament as, if the election is still open, all the candidates have an office of profit under the crown (that of being a paid parlimentarian)

So.. SACK EM ALL!

That would make the most sense. I still think it's rubbish. There are whole careers that will never be represented in parliament simply because they are highly dependent upon the public sector, a sector that accounts for roughly twenty percent of the nations economy. Instead of bankers and lawyers and union bosses, I'd like to see csiro scientists, public nurses and librarians get the chance to have a crack at representing the people's wishes.

Back