Hidden 60’s and 70’s Gems

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Plastic Cloud were a Canadian Psych band. Whole album stands up very well, despite its relative obscurity. I have a CD version, but I did see it was re-issued as an LP a couple of years back.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Since Olivia Newton-John sadly passed away, tended to have a look back of what she did in her youth which was well before my time.
I really only remembered hearing Physical and Twist of Fate on radio as a kid so it interesting to look back at her when she was just starting out.
Apparently she left school at 15 to work full time on tv here.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Looks like an interview on set on the movie at the time of being made.
Interviewer saying she should be in a movie and interesting he got to interview whilst it was being made and before it became a cult classic.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Some stuff from later 70's of Olivia Newton-John in youtube rabbit hole I looked down.

I really like this song and less country than most of her stuff from mid 70's that Americans loved.

This seems like a video from some tv appearance in Europe where she explains her background after first song to interviewer.
I not really heard the first song ever on radio here so must have done better in USA and other nations than here.

Some stuff from later 70's of Olivia Newton-John in youtube rabbit hole I looked down.

I really like this song and less country than most of her stuff from mid 70's that Americans loved.

This seems like a video from some tv appearance in Europe where she explains her background after first song to interviewer.
I not really heard the first song ever on radio here so must have done better in USA and other nations than here.

I remember the first from when it came out. Showcases her voice nicely

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I remember the first from when it came out. Showcases her voice nicely
Yeah, I like this more than other softer songs of hers for some reason and I think it that the vocals in song are required to be more versatile and I just like the music more too. You can tell the music is changing to something closer to the 80's sound that came later. This might have been first song that when I heard it on youtube it sounds like a song I heard back on radio a lot as a little kid,

I'm not a massive fan of ONJ, but I love that first one, it's one of my favourite of hers and from my favourite period of hers, the pop period from the late 70's and early 80's suited her beautiful, angelic voice.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
This could be late 1979 or 1980, not sure but it magic that some of her best hits were written by John Farrar, husband of the woman Pat Carroll she sang and danced with as a teenager in late 60's. I think he was in some Aussie rock band of 60's so he knew how to write songs, The song kind of sums up their music writer and singer connection in the title of song.

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
This could be late 1979 or 1980, not sure but it magic that some of her best hits were written by John Farrar, husband of the woman Pat Carroll she sang and danced with as a teenager in late 60's. I think he was in some Aussie rock band of 60's so he knew how to write songs, The song kind of sums up their music writer and singer connection in the title of song.

This was 1980, from the musical fantasy film, Xanadu. The film was a dud but this was a # 1 hit.

And thanks for providing those clips - especially those early Melbourne clips before Olivia headed off to the U.K. While you were posting that, by sheer coincidence I was preparing a bit of a history feature on her which is now on the Country Music thread.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
'Hidden' is hard to define. ;)

Here's one of my favorites. They're from the early 60s, small resurgence in the 80s in the Seattle area. I remember seeing them a few times around town in those days. Lots of reshuffling early on. Ultra garage surf punks :)

The Sonics

written by same black crooner who wrote Louie, Louie - Richard Berry :thumbsu:

Back