Hidden 60’s and 70’s Gems

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
A little thread I’ve decided to make in hope of listening to really good old songs that I haven’t quite dug up myself yet, and for others to do the same. This isn’t a Beatles or Zeppelin celebratory thread, we’re talking absolute bangers that barely charted.

I begin with Keith Relf, lead singer of the Yardbirds who made a handful of songs as a solo artist during the late 60’s before dying at the age of 33. He made three really good ones, only one of which charted at #50 in the UK (Mr Zero). His voice is one of the finest from the 60’s yet he holds no legacy.

I've been into period Uruguayan candombe a lot in recent years. Albums like Mateo Solo Bien Se Lame (Eduardo Mateo) and Circa 1968 (El Kinto) are highly recommendable. If you love classics like Clube de Esquina, these will never tire.

The Standells are remembered for their hit song Dirty Water and little else. This was the B side to that single and is as good as any garage rock song from the 60s IMO

There was a forgotten album by Alex Chilton that he recorded between his tenures with the Box Tops and Big Star. It was unreleased until 1996 and eventually reissued in 2012 as Free Again: The "1970" Sessions.

Love frontman Arthur Lee released this as a solo track in 1972. It was later released on a Love album but the earlier, rougher version is far better

A forgotten gem of the 70s.

Three black brothers from Detroit started a funk band in the early 1970s called Death. They switched to rock after seeing The Who in concert. They also were influenced by Alice Cooper and ended up playing a sort of hard-rock that presaged punk. There wasn't much of a market for black guys playing punk music and they broke up. They released this single. Eventually some of the demos they recorded in the 70s were dug up and released. The band has since reformed and their music is now regarded as somewhat 'visionary.'

Garage rock from the 60s with a familiar opening guitar lick...

This song was originally recorded by The Great Society. When Grace Slick departed to join Jefferson Airplane she took this song with her and it became a massive hit for them.

More 60s garage rock

Trippy surf rock instrumental from 1963

Before Jeff Lynne, Roy Wood and Bev Bevan became Electric Light Orchestra, they were in The Move. This is off their 4th and final album.

Originally heard this on a garage covers record by a Seattle band and it really stood out. Then to find it was actually by a 60’s Melbourne band was pretty cool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I try to resist the urge to go all NME style rock journo and gush about music, but this really is one of the best pieces of seminal kraut rock that has ever been produced. In fact it's one of the best pieces of acid rock ever made.

Fritz Randow's percussion is sublime, and Frank Borneman's sonic guitar work @ ~ 9:40 makes me wonder if Dave Navarro was channeling this song when Jane's Addiction were in the studio putting together the epic "Three Days" some 20 years later.

It clocks in at 14:40, overlook the somewhat corny lyrics that were prevalent of the era, and make time on this occasion to put the headphones on, shut out the world, and take it all in. It's a tremendous piece of music for a 4 piece band in 1974.

Eloy: The Light from Deep Darkness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back