High Definition TVs

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 2010 AFL NAB Round 1: Sydney Swans vs The Calton Blue

To be honest I don't notice the difference...

Mind you the only game I've watched was the Sydney vs Bris Round 3/4 game last year which was hosted by FS before they got HD so it might not have been HD itself. Still, being able to see blades of grass individually does not make a game of footy more exciting for me.

You're a lucky man then, Stat.

HD is only worthwhile when you can occasionally watch SD to remind you of the difference. And even then it's not because HD is more enjoyable, it's because SD seems so s**t in comparison. Once you get used to it and take it for granted you'll be no happier than you were watching a 32cm CRT.

Has anyone seen the new borderless TVs? I can't say that having a border around my TV has ever pissed me off or concerned me in the slightest, but I'm sure once one of my friends gets one it will.

I'll stop myself before I go into a philosophical rant about the evils of material possessions.

Errm... Go Bloods!

I was a little like Stat, never saw the need, then I won mine...can't imagine life without it now. And remember, 1080p is Full HD, don't get sucked into buying anything less.

I was a little like Stat, never saw the need, then I won mine...can't imagine life without it now. And remember, 1080p is Full HD, don't get sucked into buying anything less.

Disagree totally. Full HD is a noticable improvement on large screens, but if you're buying something on the smaller end of the scale (26"-40"), then 1080p is barely noticable. If you can find a non-HD flatscreen in the 30-inch range, the savings you'd make are totally worth it.

To be honest I don't notice the difference...

Mind you the only game I've watched was the Sydney vs Bris Round 3/4 game last year which was hosted by FS before they got HD so it might not have been HD itself. Still, being able to see blades of grass individually does not make a game of footy more exciting for me.

My understanding is standard foxtel is a more compressed signal (so they can jam all the channels through the cable) than even the standard analogue broadcast. On an HD TV, non-HD foxtel will actually look shittier than an SD FTA channel, 'cause the higher definition of the TV really highlights the compressed signal. Grass looks especially shite.

The special HD channels (both Foxtel and FTA), however, look ****ing sweet as on an HD TV, and like grimlock said, if you can't tell the difference, you probably need glasses.

So yeah, not all digitial channels are HD. Only the ones that have "HD" after their name are in HD. An HD TV cannot turn an SD signal (which 90% of all foxtel channels are, as well most of the FTA digital channels) into an HD signal. HD signals on HD TVs look sweet. Carlton are shite. After watching the piss poor efforts from most of the sides that played over the weekend, I'm not making any predictions about how we'll turn out.

Disagree totally. Full HD is a noticable improvement on large screens, but if you're buying something on the smaller end of the scale (26"-40"), then 1080p is barely noticable. If you can find a non-HD flatscreen in the 30-inch range, the savings you'd make are totally worth it.

meh, like putting retreads on a ferrari

umm I don't know about you, but I'd rather talk about our ****ing awesome team than HD TV's :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe it's time to get some glasses stat.

Except that there's nothing wrong with my eyes.... :confused:

Like I said, just because I can see blades of grass clearer, doesn't make a game of football any more special or better to watch.

Except that there's nothing wrong with my eyes.... :confused:

Like I said, just because I can see blades of grass clearer, doesn't make a game of football any more special or better to watch.

on a full Hd Tv the footy is filmed and telecast in 16:9, SD is 4:3, your missing half the screen...

Re: 2010 AFL NAB Round 1: Sydney Swans vs The Carlton Blues

Wouldn't it be cool if we had like some kind of spec mod or something that could move this stuff to the OT thread in the TLS? That would be totally Awesome!

on a full Hd Tv the footy is filmed and telecast in 16:9, SD is 4:3, your missing half the screen...

Funny, I still manage to see the guy with the ball.

And it's hardly half. The bit cut off is like maybe an extra quarter of the screen.

There's an HD tv at work and I honestly can't tell the difference...

It probably isn't setup right then. Most HDTVs can also show an analogue signal and it looks like s**t. I had a mate who bought a Bravia and wondered what the deal was and why it looked so much worse than in the shop, within 30 seconds I had him saying wow after simply tuning the digital channels...

HD is noticably better, just flick between 10 and 1HD when they are showing footy. Not as noticable on 7 in the past because they clearly had not invested in the camera's required, though I remember reading that they had done so this year, which can only help what is a second rate broadcast at the best of times.

And I totally agree with you.

There are to many factors to say one tv is better than another, or what specs are best. There's video source, distance from the TV you sit at, panel quality, how the tv processes an image and tv size and more. So if you can afford 1080p and the picture looks good to you buy it. If you get a nice 720p display cheap and you like the picture buy it. Thats before we get into the debate of LCD's vs Plasmas...

1080p tv's don't make a lick of difference in Australia in regards to TV. the best broadcast we get is 1080i (OneHD etc). 720p tv's do this.

A good quality 50" tv that only does 720p can still look fantastic playing a bluray film and his hard to pick what resolution it's running at.

Personally anything over 42" I'd get 1080p. 42" and under you struggle to see the difference without being a meter or so from the screen.

sorry for generalizing it was a summary :)

dunno bout you guys but i have a sony 40+ something HD tele and its very very very very noticable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back