WeNeverTanked!

Senior List
Oct 4, 2012
Princess Park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs,Melbourne Victory
Apart from back up jumpers (blood rule/torn), what is the highest number a player has worn? If I recall correctly a few GC players have numbers in the 50's.

Also, is there anything stopping players from wearing a number like 99 or 73 or a high number? Would be cool seeing a player with a number like 91 for example and everyone else in a low number.

Thanks for your replies :)

Apart from back up jumpers (blood rule/torn), what is the highest number a player has worn? If I recall correctly a few GC players have numbers in the 50's.

Also, is there anything stopping players from wearing a number like 99 or 73 or a high number? Would be cool seeing a player with a number like 91 for example and everyone else in a low number.

Thanks for your replies :)
Yeah McQualter wears 51.
IIRC, Harry Taylor wore a ridiculously high number a few years ago ... 95 or somthing like that ...
Yep, here it is! Wikipedia says
Wikipedia said:
In the heritage round clash against Melbourne, Taylor was forced to wear a guernsey with the number 85 on it as opposed to his usual number 7 guernsey. After changing his guernsey twice due to the blood rule there were no spare number 7 guernseys left and he could not return to the field until he was wearing a clean guernsey. It is still unclear why there was a spare number 85 guernsey.

I know this was a question about the afl but in our local league a few years ago some teams had players wearing numbers in the 100s
Awkward moment where there are two number 20's so the trainer straps a piece of tape in front so one guy is wearing 120? ;)

Awkward moment where there are two number 20's so the trainer straps a piece of tape in front so one guy is wearing 120? ;)
This happened with our #18, so one guy was made #180. We got new guernseys made about half way through the year, and the guy had got so attached to 180 he ordered it to wear permanently :p

Essendon's highest is 58

Brad Gwilliam wore 53 or 59 if i'm not mistaken when he was stuck on a hapless Tiger backline around 1992-93?
Gwilliam played 4 games only for Richmond - rounds 2-5 in 1992. He is recorded as wearing number 39 for Richmond. (He was 43 for West Coast in 1990).
Here's where you can check such things online:
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/B/Brad_Gwilliam.html

You're right about the 'hapless' Tiger backline of the teams that Gwilliam played in - they conceded an average of 137 points in the matches he played (season average 133 points - their highest ever in a season - 124 in 1993. Then down to 88.4 in 1996, their lowest until 88.3 in 2012.)

Gwilliam played 4 games only for Richmond - rounds 2-5 in 1992. He is recorded as wearing number 39 for Richmond. (He was 43 for West Coast in 1990).
Here's where you can check such things online:
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/B/Brad_Gwilliam.html

You're right about the 'hapless' Tiger backline of the teams that Gwilliam played in - they conceded an average of 137 points in the matches he played (season average 133 points - their highest ever in a season - 124 in 1993. Then down to 88.4 in 1996, their lowest until 88.3 in 2012.)

Ahh cheers for that!:) Don't know where I got the number from them, hmm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought it was at the MCG, but I'll stand corrected.

Wasn't it Carey who crashed into the goalposts at Footy Park?
I remember Carey crashing into the goalpost. Footy Park's posts had square bases for some reason and that incident may of been when they put in the current ones.

I remember Michael McLean wore 51 at the bulldogs.

Back in the 1970s, when all clubs ran seniors, reserves and U19s, it was not unusual to see numbers on the full list in the Record go into the 60s and even 70s.

Every now and then, an U19 player would play some blinders in the reserves and be a genuine chance to get a senior game almost out of the blue, and he'd come in with one of these high numbers.

Until Chad Cornes plays his first game for the year in 53 :D
Indeed! I guess Cornes moving from 11 to 53 and Brogan from 10 to 50, with highly rated younger players (do GWS have any other kind?) taking their old numbers, is making some kind of a statement about where the club's future lies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back