Roast Highly regarded players whose legacy has been ruined by their media careers

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind Kane Cornes, I think he's one of the better AFL media performers, he has some hot takes to troll or get attention but most of his opinions are quite sound and reasonable. Unlike a lot of the other AFL media boys club he isn't afraid to give an unpopular opinion that might upset people.

I don't think he was that highly regarded as a player either, he played as a tagger so he was unpopular as a player just like he's unpopular in the media.
I like KC and you're right most of his takes are pretty reasonable the only thing I'll say is that he treats EVERY issue like the most serious thing ever which diminishes his points... not everything can be of 10/10 importance, it's okay to have some sort of scale/perspective

I don’t know about ruined but I think many people may remember Kevin Bartlett more for his long radio career and perhaps it’s taken the focus off what was one of the greatest playing careers the game has seen.

You're showing your bias with Pavlich there I think mate.

Ling is an interesting one - can't stand him on TV, not sure if it's a character thing that they're made to put on as part of the team or something. Up there with Darcy in terms of unbearableness.
Listening to Ling on the radio it's like a different person, tends to have interesting things to say and isn't the sycophantic pile of cringe you get on Friday night. I had to double check that it was him.

Another vote for Nathan Brown too, what a sh*t way to make a buck.
I really like Ling on radio (and he's got the head for it). I also cannot stand him on TV.

Glen Jakovich.

Came across as being a real rocket surgeon in his commentary.
Kicked it ... missed it.

There was a dedicated abuse channel on Jackovich a few years ago which was probably the best ever produced on bigfooty. People put a lot of effort in revealing how dumb old cementhead was. A lot of the thread was genuinely funny. Shows again that Australia is at its best when we get to dump s**t on nitwits.

Even during a pandemic Nathan Brown has managed to be one of the greatest villains in the Australian media. It would be impressive if he wasn't such a pathetic grifter. Georgie Parker too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most people that have posted so far on this thread have been pretty spot on

Dane Swan peaked in 2011/2012 with respect to his bogan druggo dry humour nonsense. It was mildly funny back in the day I'll admit, now it's just getting old (and weird).
Dale Thomas, ditto Dane Swan with his bogan druggo getting-hammered-on-the-weekend humour. Still persevering really hard with said humour now on TripleM & Ch7.
Nathan Brown, I just don't get why he is still on broadcast? Isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, does not add much to the analysis.
Adam Cooney, tries really hard to be funny but it can be quite cringe.
Jobe Watson, hurts to say this as an Essendon supporter but I winced countless times when he was special comments on Friday night football. Goodness me he could barely string a sentence together. Nepotism helps these days.
Ben Dixon is one of those guys who acts like he is the sharpest tool in the shed but is infact the bluntest.

I could go on and on

Special mention to Daisy Pearce. Being handed a mic has done nothing but embarrass her and the women’s game overall. Offers no thoughtful insight into anything - just screeches random stats and blatant observations. She’s appalling to listen to, and looks so rigid and forced in front of the camera. Just comes across as dumber than a plank of wood.

how the fu** has Akermanis not got a mention? he literally ruined his legacy as a player with media work during his career.

Guy won a brownlow, 3 premierships was an absolute stud - now he is little more than a cautionary tale.

He’s in the media?

Where do you start?

Wayne Carey - How the fu** does this campaigner get a media gig?

Campbell Brown - Deas set flog of the highest order. Like Carey, how does he get media air time? The McDonald's segment is one of the most bizarre things I've seen. Less eating Macca's, and more time becoming relevant again the fat fu**.

Luke Darcy - flog who loves the sound of his voice.

Cameron Ling - Enough said.

Adam Cooney - Dead set dumb as dog sh*t.
Certainly not an act that he puts on.

David King - argh..

Matthew Richardson - Gee wiz you can almost stick him next to Adam Cooney. Not that bright either.

Dermott Brereton - haven't seen a media personality slaughter the English language like he does.

Billy Brownless - His AFL career is certainly over shadowed purely because his known now as the fat drunk Geelong nuffy supporter.

Jonathan Brown - Don't know why.

Nathan Brown - Yeah look he ain't great..

I dont mind Matthew Lloyd, he still needs to park his Essendon bias at times. Kane Cornes doesn’t irritate me as much as other. I think he just calls it as he sees it compared to other media pussies like Luke Darcy, Hamish and Wayne Carey who think every AFL player in the game is a good bloke.

Pavlich and Dunstall are are two that I don't mind either. They also provide great footy analysis and knowledge.

The one that's probably surprised me thr most is Leigh Montagna. His work on First Crack is pretty underrated in my opinion.

Del Santo seems to be ok too I reckon. I also like what Nick Riewoldt has to say.

Nate Fyfe is next in line to kill his character with a mic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back